Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter SHREDDED by Cascarino

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would that be the Tony Cascarino who was in the same Irish team as one Chris Hughton? That Cascarino?

Certainly sounds like it. Sounds like he’s gagging for the fans to turn on GP too.

Whilst I agree that we take big risks against the top teams, what are the alternatives? Defend in depth, we already know that doesn’t work. Maybe some half arsed tactics that are neither defensive or attacking that will probaly end up with a proper thrashing?

At least we are giving it a go and these games have been seen as free hits since we got promoted, has that now changed?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Potter had a plan, We succeeded in keeping it 0-0 up to Half Time.. We then stormed at Leicester for the first 10 minutes of the second half and if we had scored during this period I think we would have got a draw.

Also our senior players need to realise you don't give the ball away when your team push up to try and score a goal when a opposing team is super quick on the break. I was also disappointed that we had no shots on goal.

The two Aussies where our best players and our Solly has forgotten how to beat a player.

As for Vardy abuse everyone around me was saying what a great player he is for his age and never heard any boos for him. The boos at the end were at for the Officials/VAR over the penalty fiasco.

Casacarino has to make a career out of talking shite so good for him. We move on.........SEAGULLS

Absolutely my view

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Writing in his 'Weekend Talking Points' column in The Times today. A well regarded figure in the game and a highly respected columnist, he doesn't mince his words.

"Graham Potter has come in with a new idea of how he wants to play with Brighton. But I thought he used the worst tactic you could ever implement against Jamie Vardy - three at the back with wing backs. I was amazed that that was what he was planning as soon as I saw the team sheet. What that gives a striker like Vardy is space. The wing backs push forward, and the wider two of the three at the back inevitably push out a bit to cover more space. That creates gaps around them, and is inevitably a recipe for disaster against Vardy.

I lost count of the number of times he got in those gaps, and he really stuck it to the Brighton fans who were giving him stick all afternoon. I was at the game, and the abuse that rained down from the stands on the final whistle was deafening. On this evidence, Potter do well to still be in this job beyond the turn of the year. Shambolic."

Given that about 99% of the time time he reserves his PL comments for the top 4/6, I'm guessing it was the first time he'd seen Brighton play under Potter. I'm no tactician, but I always expected Leicester to win, regardless of the team put out. Partly due to the gulf in class between the two teams, but also because Potter really only plays one way – which is what he's been getting plaudits for before he came here and throughout the season so far. So I'm a little bit confused as to why people are saying he got the tactics 'wrong'. He played the way his teams play, but the other team was better :shrug:

'Potter do well to still be in this job beyond the turn of the year'? Yeah, OK mate... And there was no booing of Vardy at all. All afternoon. A couple of odd conclusions from a 'well regarded figure in the game and a highly respected columnist' ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the only point he failed with was that he didnt mention that our 3 CBs were slow and without Dunk to marshal and guide them all looked Championship standard. Other than that he spot on but even so I cannot see TB making a change this side of Easter

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Potter had a plan, We succeeded in keeping it 0-0 up to Half Time.. We then stormed at Leicester for the first 10 minutes of the second half and if we had scored during this period I think we would have got a draw.

Also our senior players need to realise you don't give the ball away when your team push up to try and score a goal when a opposing team is super quick on the break. I was also disappointed that we had no shots on goal.

The two Aussies where our best players and our Solly has forgotten how to beat a player.

As for Vardy abuse everyone around me was saying what a great player he is for his age and never heard any boos for him. The boos at the end were at for the Officials/VAR over the penalty fiasco.

Casacarino has to make a career out of talking shite so good for him. We move on.........SEAGULLS

I don't think they did it on purpose

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stopped reading when he mentioned the formation, which wasn’t 3 at the back.

If it wasnt what was it as they lined up with Duffy on the right Webster in the centre and Burn out on the left with Montoya and March as wing backs. We lined up 3-5-2 and played with that formation until very late in the game.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
If it wasnt what was it as they lined up with Duffy on the right Webster in the centre and Burn out on the left with Montoya and March as wing backs. We lined up 3-5-2 and played with that formation until very late in the game.

No. It was 4 at the back. Burn played as a left back. I even provided a link to the average positions our player’s occupied. It supports this.

Don’t get confused by March tracking back and defending, a lot of which happened in the first half.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No. It was 4 at the back. Burn played as a left back. I even provided a link to the average positions our player’s occupied. It supports this.

Don’t get confused by March tracking back and defending, a lot of which happened in the first half.

I disagree, Montoya played further forward than a standard right back and Burn was a wide left sided CB. Hence we were exposed by Vardy running down the right sided channel. That is how I saw it sitting in WSL.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree with him. For 2 weeks has known there team and how they would play. They would look to break when we lost ball when attacking and at set plays. What did we do to counter this. Nothing. Certainly at set plays 2 mid fielders should have been sitting deeper to stop quick break. As they could have scored 3/4 times from breaks Potter had no ideas.

The great majority of Albion fans (no idea if you were included in their number or not) have spend the last 2 years frustrated at our team's ability to get up and support our isolated strikers.

Did anyone imagine there wouldn't be consequences?

Sometime's we'll get picked off sure ... but getting players up the pitch has meant we're not camped in our box constantly relying on last ditch defending to bail us out. It also means we might score a few more as well

However we set up against Leicester, we're dealing with different degrees of we'll probably lose. It's not necessarily the manager's fault if we do. If Duffy nails his header or Mike Dean gives Maupay a penalty, we'd have probably drawn or won.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Although we started with three at the back, it looked from my eyes that we moved to a flat back four after about 10 minutes.

Although we were second best for most of the game, the goals came from giving the ball away in a terrible position and a soft penalty.

Hardly cause for alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Certainly sounds like it. Sounds like he’s gagging for the fans to turn on GP too.

Whilst I agree that we take big risks against the top teams, what are the alternatives? Defend in depth, we already know that doesn’t work. Maybe some half arsed tactics that are neither defensive or attacking that will probaly end up with a proper thrashing?

At least we are giving it a go and these games have been seen as free hits since we got promoted, has that now changed?

Didn't we beat Arsenal and Man Utd then?

The issue for me isn't the attacking it's the three at the back, which for better teams is too easy to play against.

MotD had it at 4:3:3
Screenshot_20191125-181406.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here