Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter on why he played a young team

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just hope we get something from the Chelsea game otherwise there will loads on here saying that playing the kids the other night to keep the first team players fresh for Saturday, will have backfired big time.

Understood why he played the team he did but I would have gone the whole hog and played the entire U23 team and avoided using Bong, Duffy, and Button too.

Thing is, under Potter I think it's a lot more than just a chance to rest first team players as perhaps was done under CH. Rather than simply an exercise in preparing for the next league game, I think he'd genuinely be running the rule over who could come in if he needs them. Potter may have seen it as an essential exercise in who of the young players he can start to utilise, or try different tactics with if they offer different skills to the team. I don't know, I'm second guessing, but I think there is a lot more to Potter than just playing a bunch of kids so the adults get a rest.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just hope we get something from the Chelsea game otherwise there will loads on here saying that playing the kids the other night to keep the first team players fresh for Saturday, will have backfired big time.

Understood why he played the team he did but I would have gone the whole hog and played the entire U23 team and avoided using Bong, Duffy, and Button too.

In the real world us getting any kind of positive result at Stamford Bridge tomorrow is going to be very unlikely, irrespective of who we play and how much rest they have.

Chelsea are a much better team than us. End of.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah. I really hope we lose against Chelsea just so I can say "I told you so!"

(That is a joke btw before someone thinks I really mean it.)

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Only if the bigger picture means only competing in the Premier League. I know where we stand on cup competitions now. He has my support but that does not mean he is some sort of footballing Messiah who is perfect in every way. Yeah I do feel quite strongly about that team selection, we have another International break coming up and the two games before it are free hits that we are unlikely to win, so to play a midfield and forward line without any first choice players at all means we threw the game imo.
Totally agree. 4 of us went, 1 Villa so he was happy, but when we saw the lineups in the concourse I couldn't believe it. Great to see the kids but apart from Man City/Liverpool, I expect to see a chance of a home win at the Amex. We had no chance with that line up so I was a bit pissed off, even if his hand was forced to a degree. Surely some of our fringe players need/deserve a 90min run out ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hmmm, a few loyalty points more important than reaching the next round?

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it's the way it reads.

I posted that tongue in cheek, after the debacle at Bournemouth last year, which seemed to be very important to a lot of people on Nsc.

Yes, I was at Bournemouth, and Southampton, and Bristol and there on Wednesday. I quite like cup games because there isn't the stress of league games where we need points. I can relax and watch the actual tactics and players individual performances.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Totally agree. 4 of us went, 1 Villa so he was happy, but when we saw the lineups in the concourse I couldn't believe it. Great to see the kids but apart from Man City/Liverpool, I expect to see a chance of a home win at the Amex. We had no chance with that line up so I was a bit pissed off, even if his hand was forced to a degree. Surely some of our fringe players need/deserve a 90min run out ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some of those fringe players aren’t quite on the fringe with our injury/sick list......still we deed play Duffy...wonder what happened to him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some of those fringe players aren’t quite on the fringe with our injury/sick list......still we deed play Duffy...wonder what happened to him

Now you’re being silly. Holding up Duffy’s injury as to why we shouldn’t play first team players in a Cup game where he was one of two outfield players with good PL experience is plain daft :shrug:

Anyway the club have shot themselves in the foot on FA cup revenue for the next home game, unless we draw a top six team. There will be a reluctance to pay good money to watch what could be a youth team. Let’s hope it was just a one off due to injury and illness as stated, but I imagine quite a few will hold off just in case.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Now you’re being silly. Holding up Duffy’s injury as to why we shouldn’t play first team players in a Cup game where he was one of two outfield players with good PL experience is plain daft :shrug:

Not really ...and it wasn’t the main reason was it...I would have thought you might have calmed down a bit by now

..,.ah you seem to have added a bit....yes it might be a one off...so maybe lets wait and see what happens next time

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not really ...and it wasn’t the main reason was it...I would have thought you might have calmed down a bit by now

I’m calm now, but how long are you going to continue with the sarcy remarks? :wink:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I posted that tongue in cheek, after the debacle at Bournemouth last year, which seemed to be very important to a lot of people on Nsc.

Yes, I was at Bournemouth, and Southampton, and Bristol and there on Wednesday. I quite like cup games because there isn't the stress of league games where we need points. I can relax and watch the actual tactics and players individual performances.

Why can't you do that for league games? You're not under any stress to get any points, I don't see why you can't relax and watch the games in the league?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Forgetting about the fact he might not have had a choice because of injuries etc, he made totally the correct call for me anyway. Blooding these players is going to benefit us far more in the long term than a third/fourth round knock out by another premier league/championship side in an insignificant cup competition that is going to be scrapped in the next few years anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why can't you do that for league games? You're not under any stress to get any points, I don't see why you can't relax and watch the games in the league?

I cannot be dispassionate about league games. It's the clubs bread and butter, and the fans turn toxic when we have a bad run.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I cannot be dispassionate about league games. It's the clubs bread and butter, and the fans turn toxic when we have a bad run.

There was a time, in my younger days, when if we had lost in le league on a Saturday, l wouldn't want to talk to anyone for a few days. I'm not nearly as bad as that now, but l agree, the league is our bread and butter, and it determines whether we succeed of fail. In these days of winner takes all, it's absolutely imperative we stay in the Premier League, with it's associated riches, almost at any cost. So yes, l too, struggle to get too much enjoyment from these games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Forgetting about the fact he might not have had a choice because of injuries etc, he made totally the correct call for me anyway. Blooding these players is going to benefit us far more in the long term than a third/fourth round knock out by another premier league/championship side in an insignificant cup competition that is going to be scrapped in the next few years anyway.

I am not so sure about that as I wonder what the mental affect may be on the youngsters in the short to long term hence I have deliberately avoided naming any that I considered a failure and only highlighted the ones that I think stood out. Would self doubt creep into the reckoning. due to the result?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am not so sure about that as I wonder what the mental affect may be on the youngsters in the short to long term hence I have deliberately avoided naming any that I considered a failure and only highlighted the ones that I think stood out. Would self doubt creep into the reckoning. due to the result?

If you were a 17-18 year old footballer with not senior experience playing against a side of mainly PL experienced players and "only" lost 3-1, would you feel "shit I'm bad" or "shit I'm actually not that far from this level, they arent aliens"?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you were a 17-18 year old footballer with not senior experience playing against a side of mainly PL experienced players and "only" lost 3-1, would you feel "shit I'm bad" or "shit I'm actually not that far from this level, they arent aliens"?

I’d be very grateful to the manager and ignore what BG thought of me :wink:

Not that I was ever good enough to even make a county side :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here