Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter on why he played a young team

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think you can be chirpy about it because you didn't go; a lot of us who did turn-up left feeling very dispirited, particularly after having to listen 3,000 fat Brummies taking the p1ss for 90 mins.

Think this seems to be the dividing line in opinion: if you went or not. Those that went seem upset/dispirited. Most of those that didn't seem to be in the it was a cup match/injuries/Chelsea upcoming camp. Obviously like any generalisation there will be exceptions to the rule but that is the way it seem to me. Now not everyone that went can be upset about the price so it must have been the performance and seeming willingness of the club to be happy to lose this match.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I went to the game last night, even if we had put a stronger team out we only had just over 12k Brighton Supporters, not really sure what the 12K were expecting apart from a weakened team, the 16k that were not there certainly were not bothered about the competition so they can't really complain about the team put out to face Villa.
The only players that Could have possibly played were Mooy (if not sick) Bissouma ( Potter no risk ) Alzate (another youngster...a risk if Solly still injured.) Montoya (no cover) Stephens/Propper 45 mins each (a risk) etc etc. Case in point their Superstar Grealish gets clattered and got off lightly....bet Villa Supporters would have moaned if he was out for weeks, just to finish the game off against our Youngsters.
Yes I could go for free to watch the same team but more than happy to watch them last night for £15

Yes, me too (although I got concessionary rate) I wasn't dispirited by the game nor the result.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've got whiplash from constantly looking up at the scoreboard to see who the players were.

Ours not Villa.

l have a crick in my neck too. To be quite honest l became quite enconsed in the scoreboard, reading all these players names it was far more exciting than the football that was being played on the pitch. I knew far more about the opposition players than our own.

When most of the numbers on the backs of your players shirts are well over forty, then you know you are in trouble.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nor was l, but l don't think many of us expected to see the game contested by what was essentially the Under 23 side.

No, we didn't, that's true, but where else would you get an evening's entertainment for 10 quid?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I do. At some point I will know enough about the team to question his decisions as well. However I dont agree with everyone on every subject, and if the "dont argue against the majority" is a requirement to join in with your community, then regardless of how much I like NSC (I do, its all in all a very nice and interesting board) I wont ever fit in.

I have arguments - some good and some bad, depending on your perception - beyond "I'd like to suck GP's dick" any time I comment something, you on the other hand I feel use the "you are not one of us, you just like GP" disregarding most or everything else I say.

Yeah, as in "it wasnt worth taking the risk of using half-injured players possibly prolonging their absence". If i.e. Bernardo, Bissouma and Murray would have played and went of injured last night, I'm fairly certain you would have said "we shouldnt have taken any risks in a game like this". Am I wrong?

Young man - Choose your fights carefully.

At the moment 90% of people are on your side on NSC. Don't alieante people. Let performances do the talking for you but be prepared to accept that not everything he does is brilliant. It won't be. But you don't even know if last night's decision was his "policy" yet you are putting yourself out on a limb for it.

That's just some friendly advice. Stay cool.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No, we didn't, that's true, but where else would you get an evening's entertainment for 10 quid?

You keep mentioning £10 but they would have been a good number that paid £15 and even £20.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well £10 in your case, but £15 for many of us. but l think that's a whole seperate argument. If l wanted to see the Under 23's in action l would have gone to see an Under 23 game. Most of us, if not all, expected us to put out a more competetive line up, giving us some sort of chance of going through to the next round.

As it was the outcome had been pretty much decided once the teams were announced.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well £10 in your case, but £15 for many of us. but l think that's a whole seperate argument. If l wanted to see the Under 23's in action l would have gone to see an Under 23 game. Most of us, if not all, expected us to put out a more competetive line up, giving us some sort of chance of going through to the next round.

As it was the outcome had been pretty much decided once the teams were announced.

We threw the game, end of

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We threw the game, end of

Indeed, it's impossible to think otherwise.

It's also difficult not to feel sorry for the young lads wearing the stripes. Yes of course they would have been delighted to be making their first team bows, but at what expense? They were essentially lambs to the slaughter, little or no guidance or help from senior players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My son thought the Villa fans were amazing, so loud in the last hour of the match, such passionate support in contrast to deathly silence from the soft southerners.

Funny that, a team leading and outclassing opposition had ALL the support.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My son thought the Villa fans were amazing, so loud in the last hour of the match, such passionate support in contrast to deathly silence from the soft southerners.

Funny that, a team leading and outclassing opposition had ALL the support.

They were very loud and continuous. And we were very quiet and occasional.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They were very loud and continuous. And we were very quiet and occasional.

I’ll stick my neck out and claim that if we were 1-0, then 2-0, and 3-1 up, dominating as well, our fans would’ve been vocal, the Villa fans quiet.

When the team news came through on the away concourse at 6.45, crikey, it must have been a huge fillip.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not that fussed either way - but I do think the club is lying. There were players on the bench on Saturday deemed fit enough for a trip to Newcastle but seemingly not fit enough to be in the squad last night. Either they've had set backs (?) or it was deliberate.

Either way I won't be bothering with any FA cup games this year given our policy last night.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Of course, he doesnt know as much as you about the team situation - you know, status of injuries and sicknesses etc - going into the game yesterday, but since he picks the team I thought maybe it could be interesting to read anyway.

Potter was asked by The Argus whether his line-up was out of choice or necessity.

He said: “A bit of both, I would say. With Chelsea on Saturday, we have got a couple of lads sick, a couple of players who are recovering (from injury) and quite close but we just thought it was too soon for them to play.”

Source: The Argus

Okay - now, since 90% of the people here are complaining about last nights lineup, I'd like the experts in here to clarify some questions:

Scenario one - Graham Potter is telling the truth and there is a lot of injuries and some players have gotten sick

1. Which injured or sick players should have started the game?

2. Which players starting in the Newcastle game should also have started on Villa and then on Saturday against Chelsea? Who are the ones fit enough to play 3 games in one week feeling zero fatigue in the last of those games?

Scenario two - Graham Potter is lying - everyone is perfectly fit and capable - and is just trying to **** you and your club

1. ...why?

You must surely have a goat to go and …. well what ever Swedes do with goats ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We aren't allowed to watch the U18s but got a good glimpse of them last night.

Last season we went out to Southampton 1-0 with fewer people there, and a majority of youngsters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last season we went out to Southampton 1-0 with fewer people there, and a majority of youngsters.

Bad memory and absolutely no comparison. The game was late August when people are on holiday hence the lower crowd.

Brighton
27Button
58Collar
35Barclay
30Bernardo
29Suttner
13GroßSubstituted forPröpperat 63'minutes
16Jahanbakhsh
8BissoumaBooked at 32mins
7KayalSubstituted forConnollyat 90'minutes
42Gyokeres
9Locadia