Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter on why he played a young team

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Of course, he doesnt know as much as you about the team situation - you know, status of injuries and sicknesses etc - going into the game yesterday, but since he picks the team I thought maybe it could be interesting to read anyway.

Potter was asked by The Argus whether his line-up was out of choice or necessity.

He said: “A bit of both, I would say. With Chelsea on Saturday, we have got a couple of lads sick, a couple of players who are recovering (from injury) and quite close but we just thought it was too soon for them to play.”

Source: The Argus

Okay - now, since 90% of the people here are complaining about last nights lineup, I'd like the experts in here to clarify some questions:

Scenario one - Graham Potter is telling the truth and there is a lot of injuries and some players have gotten sick

1. Which injured or sick players should have started the game?

2. Which players starting in the Newcastle game should also have started on Villa and then on Saturday against Chelsea? Who are the ones fit enough to play 3 games in one week feeling zero fatigue in the last of those games?

Scenario two - Graham Potter is lying - everyone is perfectly fit and capable - and is just trying to **** you and your club

1. ...why?

Dear Graham

Thanks for your post today and the justification of the team last night.

Personally I think you were wrong to play so many youngsters and it a bit disrespectful to the competition and the fans.

That being said enjoying the way we are playing and looking forward to giving Chelsea a good game on Saturday.

Please don't take things too personally.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
For me the worst part was having to turn around to my 7 y/o son after the line ups came up to tell him we're going to lose. Not what you want to have to do when you're trying to indoctrinate someone. He's bloody knackered at school today because I kept him up late at the game. There's probably thousands of little stories of lost goodwill

I agree. Kids tend to "Hero Worship" at a young age and if their favourite player isn't playing it can disappoint them . I hope his favourite player is Shane Duffy

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We get that you have a slightly frightening obsession with our manager, but if you are going to hang around and join in with our community, you will need to learn to accept that not everyone is going to agree with every decision he ever makes.

I do. At some point I will know enough about the team to question his decisions as well. However I dont agree with everyone on every subject, and if the "dont argue against the majority" is a requirement to join in with your community, then regardless of how much I like NSC (I do, its all in all a very nice and interesting board) I wont ever fit in.

I have arguments - some good and some bad, depending on your perception - beyond "I'd like to suck GP's dick" any time I comment something, you on the other hand I feel use the "you are not one of us, you just like GP" disregarding most or everything else I say.

As he says in the quote you've posted "it just wasn't worth it". There it is in a nutshell. Some of us feel that it was worth playing a semi-competitive side in a winnable 3rd round tie, in one of the two competitions we can actually compete in.

Yeah, as in "it wasnt worth taking the risk of using half-injured players possibly prolonging their absence". If i.e. Bernardo, Bissouma and Murray would have played and went of injured last night, I'm fairly certain you would have said "we shouldnt have taken any risks in a game like this". Am I wrong?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's a very sad reality, but perfectly understandable. This is the aspect to last night which seems to have been completely lost on the club.

We are loyal fans, we support them through thick and thin. Whether it was season tickets at Gillingham, the Hereford game, or march to protest about something. We've all been there together. But don't insult us by saying this was the best side we could put out, or charging for a competitive game, when we are going to essentially throw it.

We've all largely accepted weakened teams in Cup competitions, and where the line is drawn between acceptable and unacceptable is hard to definitively state. But when 6 starters aren't even listed on the back of the programme. When the Club app doesn't even have a name in their database again 4 of the squad numbers announced in the starting line up. When the scoreboard doesn't even attempt to announce the side with pictures of the players, because they presumably just didn't have them to hand. Then that's over the line for a great many people, I'd guess.

Yes, fair comment, and it was annoying that we had such a team out, with all respect to the youngsters. Before I say I am not going to cup games, I will first hear what the club has to say about the likely fielded team for FA Cup games, which might mean that the club is taking that tournament more seriously after last year's exploits. How many swore blind that they would give cup games a miss and then went to Wembley?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don’t have a problem with the team selection last night.

Bearing in mind I don’t know which players were unwell and we have limited players available at the moment I’d trust Potters judgement on this one.

We had a good mix in the last round so I don’t believe he didn’t care about last night. Just those players are either unavailable or didn’t want to risk them.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Scenario 4 - Dan Ashworth wants to showcase what is a very talented group of youngsters to get them out on loan earning money for the club. Much in the same way that Chelsea have done in the last 5 or 6 years

Maybe that will be helpful if we go down
But seriously pro tennis players Run around on there own for four hours then a couple of days later do it again why can’t players play more than one game a week ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jag ber om ursäkt. Inte alla är helt och hållet fullärda i samtliga språk som talas utanför deras eget hemland. Ibland när jag skriver på engelska så händer det att jag stavar fel, väljer konstiga ord eller inte helt lyckas med grammatiken. Det är någonting jag hoppas förbättra. Tills dess att jag uppnått fullständig perfektion i det engelska språket antar jag att du och jag borde kommunicera på svenska, så att du slipper avfärda mig på språklig basis.
:lol:

For those who couldn't be bothered to google translate:
'I apologise. Not everyone is fully educated in all languages ​​spoken outside their home country. Sometimes when I write in English it happens that I misspell, choose strange words or do not quite succeed in grammar. That's something I hope to improve upon. Until I have achieved complete perfection in the English language, I suppose you and I should communicate in Swedish, so that you do not dismiss me on a linguistic basis.'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do. At some point I will know enough about the team to question his decisions as well. However I dont agree with everyone on every subject, and if the "dont argue against the majority" is a requirement to join in with your community, then regardless of how much I like NSC (I do, its all in all a very nice and interesting board) I wont ever fit in.

I have arguments - some good and some bad, depending on your perception - beyond "I'd like to suck GP's dick" any time I comment something, you on the other hand I feel use the "you are not one of us, you just like GP" disregarding most or everything else I say.

You see - that is all well and good, and people would be quite happy to accept your views, if you tried to be less antagonistic. All this sarcastic "Oh look - you all know better than the manager", "None of you understand Bloom / Potter's vision", "maybe you'd have preferred Tony Pulis" isn't 'arguing against the majority' - its just nobbish trolling.

Yeah, as in "it wasnt worth taking the risk of using half-injured players possibly prolonging their absence". If i.e. Bernardo, Bissouma and Murray would have played and went of injured last night, I'm fairly certain you would have said "we shouldnt have taken any risks in a game like this". Am I wrong?

There's no point commenting about individual players - of course we don't know how sore Murray's rolled ankle is, how serious the scratch on Maupay's leg is, why Bissouma was suddenly 'not ready' or why Alireza Jahanbaksh has decided to stop even pretending to be a footballer. But I'm completely confident that on balance, there were more than TWO senior outfield players fit, available and worthy of inclusion in this game.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Of course, he doesnt know as much as you about the team situation - you know, status of injuries and sicknesses etc - going into the game yesterday, but since he picks the team I thought maybe it could be interesting to read anyway.

Potter was asked by The Argus whether his line-up was out of choice or necessity.

He said: “A bit of both, I would say. With Chelsea on Saturday, we have got a couple of lads sick, a couple of players who are recovering (from injury) and quite close but we just thought it was too soon for them to play.”

Source: The Argus

Okay - now, since 90% of the people here are complaining about last nights lineup, I'd like the experts in here to clarify some questions:

Scenario one - Graham Potter is telling the truth and there is a lot of injuries and some players have gotten sick

1. Which injured or sick players should have started the game?

2. Which players starting in the Newcastle game should also have started on Villa and then on Saturday against Chelsea? Who are the ones fit enough to play 3 games in one week feeling zero fatigue in the last of those games?

Scenario two - Graham Potter is lying - everyone is perfectly fit and capable - and is just trying to **** you and your club

1. ...why?

I hadn't noticed it was you who started this thread.

I would be interested to know your link to Graham Potter.

Why would you open up his controversial decisions to such scrutiny ?

I'm a bit surprised that's all. I am assuming you don't work in PR.

I quite admire how you support him but pat on the back as part of a group and defend as past of a group. That's my advice.

Never put him on a presapiss - That's probably wrong spelling.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
No need to be so spikey. it's a just football forum - people present exaggerated versions of themselves and their opinions.

Oh no the don't!

best regards

Lord Zefarelly King of Shoreham-by-sea and all round Sussex super hero. :smokin:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It was great for the youngsters to get their chance. Some made the most of it whilst others didn't. I'd be happy if that was the chosen line ups for the Caraboa Cup fixtures even though I expected to see a few more first team players yesterday.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was great for the youngsters to get their chance. Some made the most of it whilst others didn't. I'd be happy if that was the chosen line ups for the Caraboa Cup fixtures even though I expected to see a few more first team players yesterday.

I think you meant to write 'fixture' (singular). That line up was never getting us through to another one.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
I went to the game last night, even if we had put a stronger team out we only had just over 12k Brighton Supporters, not really sure what the 12K were expecting apart from a weakened team, the 16k that were not there certainly were not bothered about the competition so they can't really complain about the team put out to face Villa.
The only players that Could have possibly played were Mooy (if not sick) Bissouma ( Potter no risk ) Alzate (another youngster...a risk if Solly still injured.) Montoya (no cover) Stephens/Propper 45 mins each (a risk) etc etc. Case in point their Superstar Grealish gets clattered and got off lightly....bet Villa Supporters would have moaned if he was out for weeks, just to finish the game off against our Youngsters.
Yes I could go for free to watch the same team but more than happy to watch them last night for £15

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I simply don't waste my time and money with this competition. Managers don't so why should I?
I went to the Gillingham one in the first season at the Amex and Liverpool one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here