Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You omitted to mention that we didn’t spend more than a few hours in the relegation zone during that period either, and how often were we blown away by teams during that run?
I’m not sure that’s how RDZ is measured.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Exactly what are Potter’s strengths?

Took a park team in Sweden to their first division because a local millionaire pumped all his cash into them. Most of us on here could have done that
Got rave reviews at Swansea (not sure what for) - taking a relegated team and making them mid table in the league below.
And did ok with us - ok that’s all - with the Squad at his disposal.
Learnt a lot apparently though. Not enough to realise he isn’t all that.
Will fail next wherever he goes

Just my opinion like
This. Emperor’s New Clothes coach. Only started winning when he had Caicedo, Biss and Mwepu together in midfield. RDZ doesn’t have the option of even one of them.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You omitted to mention that we didn’t spend more than a few hours in the relegation zone during that period either, and how often were we blown away by teams during that run?

Yeah, my single sentence wasn't intended to be a comprehensive review of Potter's spell at the Albion.

It was a reminder of a time when fans stuck by Potter (showed loyalty).

An example of loyalty from Bloom would be the six year contract he gave Potter.

But, hey, water under the bridge and all that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ajax dumping their manager soon. Would be a good fit. However their squad is pretty gash these days.
I’d love him to get the job before they come here, and we go full Chelsea last season on him again

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
This. Emperor’s New Clothes coach. Only started winning when he had Caicedo, Biss and Mwepu together in midfield. RDZ doesn’t have the option of even one of them.
Nah, Potter’s issue was that he had the handbrake on at Brighton, because of his background. Brilliant coach but he didn’t REALLY think we could go toe to toe with the establishment clubs. He learnt, late on, that a more aggressively pressing style could work and needed dynamic players - and his forward options were light years away from what RDZ has. Listen, really listen, to De Zerbi; he acknowledges that the squad he inherited is full of technically gifted players who were ready to play his way. Crucially, RDZ does think, having seen the ingredients, that the handbrake had to come off. Postecoglou has done the same thing after the clusterfuck of Conte. It’s all differing opinions though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
*splutter*

Remember that time when a sequence of three wins at the Amex spanned THREE CALENDAR YEARS?
And I think this is the elephant in the room for Potter lovers. I do admire Potter and am grateful to him, but those results at home made my Albion mojo the lowest it has been probably ever and were it not for the time spent with my sons and brother, I would perhaps have given up my season ticket. Bad fan eh.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, my single sentence wasn't intended to be a comprehensive review of Potter's spell at the Albion.

It was a reminder of a time when fans stuck by Potter (showed loyalty).

An example of loyalty from Bloom would be the six year contract he gave Potter.

But, hey, water under the bridge and all that.
fair does about loyalty, but he's still a good coach

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And I think this is the elephant in the room for Potter lovers. I do admire Potter and am grateful to him, but those results at home made my Albion mojo the lowest it has been probably ever and were it not for the time spent with my sons and brother, I would perhaps have given up my season ticket. Bad fan eh.
worse than hughts? the suicideball, defending the 0-1, and then 0-2 v cardiff; i began to lose hope

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good guy, good coach.

A lot of revisionism about what he did at the Albion.

There is no loyalty from fans towards managers, players or owners, so no idea why they expect it back.
Exactly. He WAS a good coach for us. He DID do a marvellous job. I accept his demeanour, his lack of empathy with the fans ('history lesson') and of course the spectacular exit mean that he will never be an Albion legend (unlike Hughton), but he was a part, an important part, of the journey to where we are.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Only the mad Swede was infatuated with our Brummie. No one loved us having 70% possession and 25 shots but being unable to put the ball in the bag. But you’d have to be a footballing dinosaur not to see what Potter was trying to do from DAY ONE at Watford with Maupay and Andone up front. Potter is an excellent coach but for all his famed emotional intelligence he wasn’t able to unlock the demons in his own head (and therefore his own players) re: inferiority of opponents. DeZerbi with a far superior attack is doing that.

Last edited:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Blimey. There's a LOT of people still butt-hurt by Potter. Get over yourselves, he did a great job, he left us in FOURTH position FFS. Of course he thought we could compete with the big boys, and we were scoring goals left, right and centre when he left. Who knows where we could have ended up if he stayed, we just don't know how far he could have taken us, I like to think we would have still made Europa League under his tenure.

RDZ would never have come to us without Potter's influence on the team and style of football we were playing.

Personally, for the majority of fans on here who should know better, you're all acting like your 16, still pining over your first love who dumped you.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Blimey. There's a LOT of people still butt-hurt by Potter. Get over yourselves, he did a great job, he left us in FOURTH position FFS. Of course he thought we could compete with the big boys, and we were scoring goals left, right and centre when he left. Who knows where we could have ended up if he stayed, we just don't know how far he could have taken us, I like to think we would have still made Europa League under his tenure.

RDZ would never have come to us without Potter's influence on the team and style of football we were playing.

Personally, for the majority of fans on here who should know better, you're all acting like your 16, still pining over your first love who dumped you.
Yes, indeed. And actually if you take the games that RDZ was in charge last season, we finished eighth. What a load of old nonsense on this thread.
And just to clarify, because we can guarantee that certain posters will read what they want to in this post: no, I'm not saying GP is a better manager than RDZ, there's an increasing recognition that RDZ is joining the elite managers -- up there with Pep and Klopp -- and it's a delight for all of us to witness it. None of that makes GP a bad manager, who inherited an old, slow, unathletic squad that just escaped relegation and was destined for the drop, and transformed it. It's telling that many of the more recent comments are pointing to the lack of home wins, which indicates fans' experience of or even presence at games. What matters far more are: points; playing style; and development and transformation of the squad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
he did have to change the culture of the squad from hughtonball, whilst keeping us up, not easy
But that's just here. As @Nobby correctly points out he's won a farmer's league with a bankrolled team, taken Swansea to 10th in the Championship and lasted less than a season at Chelsea, aside from us. Hardly a glowing cv.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here