Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think this is a very good point. That support structure makes the Brighton job a very attractive one. Fans are used to giving full credit to managers for a team’s success and full condemnation to them for failure. Potter’s demise illustrates how important our club is to the process and how managers and players simply fit into that system.
He’ll also never get the loyalty, gratitude and respect from the entire squad, with a few exceptions, for making them much better players at the highest level.
If he goes to a PL club they will undoubtedly already have “stars and egos on long contracts”.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yeah but would you love it if he does really well? I wouldn't... I hated seeing Glen Murray banging them in up at the State du Clad
TBH I was never an accolyte, through some amazing recruitment he ended up in charge of the best squad of Albion players ever, but still IMHO wasn't the real deal.

I think what RDZ has done since, Solly March a case in point, speaks volumes.

Wherever he goes, his limitations, (and this 7 month nightmare allbeit well paid) will be apparent.

Like the Titanic should never have left Southampton he should never have left the Albion until the England job came up.

As Joni Mitchell once sung "you don't know what till its gone"

He will never work for another chairman like Tony, or a CEO like PB, anything else he does in his career from now on, unless he flukes the England job, wont be on the same level as Chelsea or have the same situation he had at the Albion.

He's got a few quid granted, but its not just about the money surely?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
"Here, at a club that demands swagger, panache and a little bit of nastiness from its managers, was a coach who looks like he’d say sorry if you stole his watch, who at one point had to defend himself from claims he didn’t become angry enough in a press conference while defending himself for not having become angry enough during a game."

Excellent article and like many, he saw this coming from the outset.

This quote made me laugh out loud.

‘Chelsea needed an impresario to oversee this period, a charisma-merchant, an on-the-hoof kind of guy. They needed Carlo Ancelotti’s left eyebrow, José Mourinho’s shredded suit trouser knees. Instead they hired the managerial equivalent of an extremely practicable zip-up fleece.’
Ah, I was just about to post this. The brilliant article is much more critical of the utter shambles masquerading as Chelsea than Potter.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I reckon he has hit the jackpot and doesn’t need to work again. Barney Ronay says Thomas Tuchel got 13 million and suspects Graham got similar. Just think about that figure. Enough to pay off the mortgage and then some and still enough to never work again.

I think Brian Clough was in a similar position after leaving us for Leeds. 42 days later he never had to work again but he took his time before taking Forest to unforeseen heights. League winners and twice euro champions wasn’t it? Who to say it couldn’t happen to Graham.

RDZ has already said we don’t have to worry when he leaves because of the players we have.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
TBH I was never an accolyte, through some amazing recruitment he ended up in charge of the best squad of Albion players ever, but still IMHO wasn't the real deal.

I think what RDZ has done since, Solly March a case in point, speaks volumes.

Wherever he goes, his limitations, (and this 7 month nightmare allbeit well paid) will be apparent.

Like the Titanic should never have left Southampton he should never have left the Albion until the England job came up.

As Joni Mitchell once sung "you don't know what till its gone"

He will never work for another chairman like Tony, or a CEO like PB, anything else he does in his career from now on, unless he flukes the England job, wont be on the same level as Chelsea or have the same situation he had at the Albion.

He's got a few quid granted, but its not just about the money surely?
Completely agree, He’s an ok manager, but not the messiah. Getting far too much credit on here, it will be great if he goes to Palace.
That’s a non fit for him too so would be a disaster.
I can’t think of any clubs like ours that would make him a success.
He will end up as a journeyman Championship or League One manager doing the rounds, unless he goes to Europe and becomes a journeyman there.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
It has real potential. The HF will have an absolute TANTRUM if Beaky appoints a former Brighton boss. And if we then beat them........
CPFC Twitter is awash with their fans well up for the idea of hiring Potter. I think this is a real possibility and would welcome it with open arms.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Barney Ronay excellent as ever.

"Here, at a club that demands swagger, panache and a little bit of nastiness from its managers, was a coach who looks like he’d say sorry if you stole his watch, who at one point had to defend himself from claims he didn’t become angry enough in a press conference while defending himself for not having become angry enough during a game."

Brilliant from Ronay - incisive, scathing and hilarious all at once.

Barney Ronay excellent as ever.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At th risk of writing a post that comes back to bite me. I don't see him succeeding at Palace. They have tried to change styles, but not had the patience to stick with it when the results aren't going their way (FDB, Vieira). Graham's style of football will need an owner who stands by him during loooong periods of bad results. Palace have no history of doing that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think this is a very good point. That support structure makes the Brighton job a very attractive one. Fans are used to giving full credit to managers for a team’s success and full condemnation to them for failure. Potter’s demise illustrates how important our club is to the process and how managers and players simply fit into that system. It’s how all clubs aspiring to success need to be organised.
Agreed. The thing that us made us so successful, imo, isn't down to one factor. It's not just the manager, who, yes has to be good (and Potter was good), it's also all the other bits: the visionary owner with CLEAR plans and strategies, the patient board, the top-notch CEO, the recruitment team, all the way down to the proverbial tea lady. It's the sum of all those parts that's made us what we are, they're all important.

To use the old slogan: 'Together'

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
At th risk of writing a post that comes back to bite me. I don't see him succeeding at Palace. They have tried to change styles, but not had the patience to stick with it when the results aren't going their way (FDB, Vieira). Graham's style of football will need an owner who stands by him during loooong periods of bad results. Palace have no history of doing that.

Yeah all good until they go through a 10-15 match streak without a win.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
The thing that will probably be annoying Potter the most is having no luck in the FA Cup, EFL Cup or Champions League draws whatsoever. Something he without doubt would have stressed to Todd Boehly yesterday.

They won their CL group comfortably with AC Milan, Dinamo Zagreb and RB Salzburg despite Thomas Tuchel losing the first game away to Dinamo Zagreb. So they were expected to get a comfortable tie but drew the Bundeliga leaders at the time (Borussia Dortmund) in the last 16. They played two outstanding games but only just got through on aggregate 2-1. Would luck even itself out and Potter get a kind quarter-final? Nope! - the holders Real Madrid with Manchester City or Bayern Munich to come in the semis if they progressed.

Had they drawn Benfica with either Inter Milan/Napoli to follow he'd still be there but only for a few more weeks. At least he can catch up on his sleep now while dreaming of his millions in the bank. Who's the mug now? Graham Potter or Todd Boehly?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think it's a fair point @Durlston makes about the Cup draws - good runs in either domestic Cup might have made a difference but I can't get past how incredibly similarly Potter's Chelsea and Brighton teams performed. Few wins, loads of draws, handful of disappointing defeats. Too few goals and high XG. He failed to get Chelsea scoring exactly as he failed to get us scoring and I'm confident their goals per game will go up now he's left, just as it dramatically has since leaving Brighton.

I hope he doesn't go to Palace because he'll get really nasty abuse from both sides whatever happens and I've nothing against the man, he doesn't seem like my cup of tea and I'm not unhappy he has failed at Chelsea but I did vote that I wanted him to succeed. I never like to bask in the glory of someone's failure and ultimately, he's still the winner in the whole saga with a huge bank balance, great managerial experience at a top club and no doubt with offers already on the table and plenty more to follow. He'll be fine.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not so sure, I think this 7 months will have really knocked his confidence and self belief.

When he gets his next job, a number of that respective clubs fans will say, "why have we gone for the man who famously f***** it at Chelsea despite MNO spending?", whilst we soldiered on through the bad runs of 21/22, no wins in 11 and 6 straight defeats, fans at A N Other club might not be so understanding given the West London part of his CV?
I think he’ll have learned his lesson. He’ll never need to chase the big bucks again. In terms of confidence and self belief, he’ll be fine. You don’t get to manage in the Premier League if you don’t have huge emotional and mental resilience. Yes, he failed his biggest challenge but he’ll know that he can excel again another more suitable club and perhaps, get them in to their highest ever finishing position too.

I imagine he’ll pick up a club in the summer. He could get a Leeds or West Ham if they get relegated. But perhaps a Palace or Brentford (if Frank is poached) in the Premier League.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think this is a very good point. That support structure makes the Brighton job a very attractive one. Fans are used to giving full credit to managers for a team’s success and full condemnation to them for failure. Potter’s demise illustrates how important our club is to the process and how managers and players simply fit into that system. It’s how all clubs aspiring to success need to be organised.
Hope RDZ realises this as well. Loads of people blowing smoke up his ass in the media. Ridiculous hype. But he hasn't achieved too much at other clubs he's been at. I hope he stays with us for at least a couple of years.

As an example , Donetsk lost 5-0 at home playing dezerbi ball Vs real Madrid !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here