Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
@Swansman - I had no idea you’d left so unblocked you you’ll be pleased to know. That was some thread you did there. Anyway, bit dubious you decided to come back after our first defeat in god knows how long, and lasted 20 days and not the full month you said, but happy to start a fresh and see where our relationship goes from here. Could be the start of a bromance #SheebsMan
Didn't keep track of how many days I was gone. Got nothing to do with the defeat however, the performance was fine (a lot better than the win against Bournemouth) and the result unlucky. It happens in football, every day - not something I'm going to rub in anyones face.
Totally agree. Not going to knock the last year with us, but first 2 1/2 results wise he was pretty average with a few long non winning streaks that may have wielded an axe at other clubs. He was lucky for the patience and support he got here.

I still think the majority of our success is based on our chairman and the clubs innovative recruitment of decent players.

Brighton in the top ten is in spite of Potter not solely because of him.
Of course. Owner and board is the key to any successful football club and Brighton is obviously among the best in that department. And that highly competent owner/board decided to hire Graham Potter, because he is a good manager. The club didn't end up in the top 10 "because of Potter" or "despite Potter". Building a club/team and getting results in various areas is a team effort.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dull prediction is Potter is safe till the end of the season, will be allowed to spend heavily in the summer, will win the opening two games of next season, then lose at home and will be unexpectedly sacked.

Or allowed another season to develop his philosophy.

One or the other.

All depends how mad Todd Beauxlieghth is.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My dull prediction is Potter is safe till the end of the season, will be allowed to spend heavily in the summer, will win the opening two games of next season, then lose at home and will be unexpectedly sacked.

Or allowed another season to develop his philosophy.

One or the other.

All depends how mad Todd Beauxlieghth is.
Keep losing at home and those “fantastic fans” booing more and more then I’m not so sure he’ll see the season out….progress in the CL and positive results in the PL and then it’s a different story …very simplistic, but they need to start scoring

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Keep losing at home and those “fantastic fans” booing more and more then I’m not so sure he’ll see the season out….progress in the CL and positive results in the PL and then it’s a different story …very simplistic, but they need to start scoring

We did, eventually so I imagine they will.

When they sack Plodder, I wonder if Winstanley et all will keep their job?

Bit of a major balls up by Todd Burgleuh if Potter is deemed to be fit to be excommunicated, denied a courtesy parking space, and told to leave the cones where he set them up because he won't be needing them where he's going.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can see our new manager’s philosophy we play the same way game after game and so far with positive results give or take. I felt Potter confused himself half the time and the players, different line ups players in different positions. I have no idea what his philosophy is or was.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And all the while surrounded by millionaire primadonna superstar players, Gra-ham is being ably assisted by Billy 'Strathcarnage, Bumblewick Thistle, Taste of Dunfermline, Scottish lower leagues' Reid and Bjorn 'Swedish Division 3 Arctic' Hamberg - nobody signed for Chelsea to be coached by this lot.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
You are still stuck in the Swedish snow when you get 8 years to prove your worth coz no-one else wants the job. You get time, can cuddle up to no hopers who wasted their life until mystery team in middle of nowhere take a chance, and no pressure. You succeed in a world where no-one any good would venture.

You move to dead team on their back in the Championship when the the reindeer get tiresome and try a few things that actually don't work terribly well, but please enough folk who like the change from hoof ball and are pleased not to do the dreaded 'double drop'; then some smart arse who has just joined as Technical Director for a lower PL team and want to make a difference, thinks you are something you really are not and kids the Chairman to hire you.

You do some new things that excite the pundits (and even kid a lot of the fans) but do FA to improve the league position and then get lucky when a player who was on loan at a team in Belgium A who no-one has heard of is called back from loan because of a shortage in midfield. You realise late (by your own admission) that he needs to play. In a world where a few wins makes a huge difference, you oversee 5 wins in 8, and everyone thinks you are a marvel.

You have been found out.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You are still stuck in the Swedish snow when you get 8 years to prove your worth coz no-one else wants the job. You get time, can cuddle up to no hopers who wasted their life until mystery team in middle of nowhere take a chance, and no pressure. You succeed in a world where no-one any good would venture.

You move to dead team on their back in the Championship when the the reindeer get tiresome and try a few things that actually don't work terribly well, but please enough folk who like the change from hoof ball and are pleased not to do the dreaded 'double drop'; then some smart arse who has just joined as Technical Director for a lower PL team and want to make a difference, thinks you are something you really are not and kids the Chairman to hire you.

You do some new things that excite the pundits (and even kid a lot of the fans) but do FA to improve the league position and then get lucky when a player who was on loan at a team in Belgium A who no-one has heard of is called back from loan because of a shortage in midfield. You realise late (by your own admission) that he needs to play. In a world where a few wins makes a huge difference, you oversee 5 wins in 8, and everyone thinks you are a marvel.

You have been found out.
A little harsh. But a very well put-together assassination!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Chelsea had a day off today, apparently the players have been told this evening that they shouldn’t turn up for training tomorrow either.

Something is definitely going on - that doesn’t sound normal.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Chelsea had a day off today, apparently the players have been told this evening that they shouldn’t turn up for training tomorrow either.

does seem odd. I was just coming on to say about that. 2 days off after a defeat like that seems the opposite of what you'd expect

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Being reported as a scheduled day off due to their heavy fixture schedule, nothing out of the ordinary.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It is astonishing how poorly Chelsea are doing.

It's also really quite interesting. Despite what his detractors say Potter isn't a bad manager so why is he performing so much worse than many worse caliber managers would? He's making Lampard look like a great in comparison.

Is it a necessary result of his process. The team has to go through this period before coming out the other side a trophy winning juggernaut? If so, why? What is he doing that means a collection of top quality players end up performing like a bunch of league one players for a season?

Is it just that his methods are anathema to a group of 'superstars' and they have as a group completely failed to buy into his methods? If so, why?

Is it because there's a bit of the Nathan Jones about him in that he feels out of place and is compromising his ideals and thus making a merry mess of everything?

Is it something structural/deeper within the club?

I was confident that once he gets his ideas across that Chelsea would become a very good team but I never imagined they'd be this bad in the mean time. Like I said it's astonishing just how much of a mess they are.

If he does stay until next season the summer could be absolute carnage.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Perhaps Boehly’s sold the lot of them, not realising he can’t buy another 24 players now the window is shut.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA

Hmm....interesting. There's probably nothing going on but Potter is killing that club, so it could be Potter related.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

You have been found out.
Very good - and you could, I think, partially sustain the argument for Ostersunds and Swansea. But to come into a Premier League club and completely change the style of play is a HUGE ask. Even Guardiola and Klopp took time to get it right. And look at Viera - did a fantastic job last season, but finding it really tough to sustain.
Potter is a very good coach. He got lucky with Caicedo, and actually his successful period at BHA was pretty short. But I’m sure it would have continued if he’d stayed.
The big problem (imho) is that Potter isn’t the right manager for a team like Chelsea.
Too many big egos. Toxic fan base. Bizarre project lead by non-football people.
I can understand the lure of the £££££. But Potter made a mistake going to Chelsea, and everything that’s happened since September should have been obvious to him.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I agree one of his biggest issues is a different calibre of player it's made worse by the sheer quantity of new blood into the squad at the Albion so much emphasis is placed on bringing in the right players to fit and improve the squad and keep it balanced. there seems to be no such cohesive thought process at Chelsea, instead a bunch of individuals that just don't seem to click yet.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It is astonishing how poorly Chelsea are doing.

It's also really quite interesting. Despite what his detractors say Potter isn't a bad manager so why is he performing so much worse than many worse caliber managers would? He's making Lampard look like a great in comparison.

Is it a necessary result of his process. The team has to go through this period before coming out the other side a trophy winning juggernaut? If so, why? What is he doing that means a collection of top quality players end up performing like a bunch of league one players for a season?

Is it just that his methods are anathema to a group of 'superstars' and they have as a group completely failed to buy into his methods? If so, why?

Is it because there's a bit of the Nathan Jones about him in that he feels out of place and is compromising his ideals and thus making a merry mess of everything?

Is it something structural/deeper within the club?

I was confident that once he gets his ideas across that Chelsea would become a very good team but I never imagined they'd be this bad in the mean time. Like I said it's astonishing just how much of a mess they are.

If he does stay until next season the summer could be absolute carnage.
Yeah this.

Clearly he needs time to get his idea across.
But I thought he was tactically astute enough to keep them competitive.

2 wins in 15 games.
With the players at his disposal?

I would be amazed if Boehly doesn't pull the trigger when they go out of the UCL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here