Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s funny isn’t it. They’re not ‘getting around’ anything, 2 years ago they made a £35M profit, they do well selling players more so than any other top 6 club so makes sense.

I’m not sure why 3 or 4 year contracts were a thing so not surprised a non football person has come in and bucked the trend to their advantage, but anyone can do it. In fact I wish we had / would with some of our key players
More or less what the Dullard said on R5 last night.

But there was follow up to that on the Monday Night Club discussions, which is the risk that these contracts pose if the player turns out to be, well, not very good. Anyone remember Dancin' Alan getting an 8 year contract at Newcastle and the hilarity that ensued?

It's a pretty big risk to take if you're not squeezing every last FFP pip. Suggests more large spending is imminent.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

But there was follow up to that on the Monday Night Club discussions, which is the risk that these contracts pose if the player turns out to be, well, not very good. Anyone remember Dancin' Alan getting an 8 year contract at Newcastle and the hilarity that ensued?

It's a pretty big risk to take if you're not squeezing every last FFP pip. Suggests more large spending is imminent.
True - FWIW I believe that Pardew deal actually had a compensation clause of only until the end of that season or 12 months , so he would never have got a big pay off.

I still say there’s a way to move players on - Locadia & Ali J some recent examples

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It’s funny isn’t it. They’re not ‘getting around’ anything, 2 years ago they made a £35M profit, they do well selling players more so than any other top 6 club so makes sense.

I’m not sure why 3 or 4 year contracts were a thing so not surprised a non football person has come in and bucked the trend to their advantage, but anyone can do it. In fact I wish we had / would with some of our key players
How many players that played for us 8 years go would you be happy to still paying the wages of? A LOT can change in 8 years, not to mention that said player signed for 8 years might turn out to be crap within a few weeks.

I keep thinking.. how would chelsea fans feel if they had given Ziyech an 8.5 year contract when they signed him from Ajax? They would be fuming now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How many players that played for us 8 years go would you be happy to still paying the wages of? A LOT can change in 8 years, not to mention that said player signed for 8 years might turn out to be crap within a few weeks.

I keep thinking.. how would chelsea fans feel if they had given Ziyech an 8.5 year contract when they signed him from Ajax? They would be fuming now.
I’d be unhappy as I would have been more
Ambitious than where we were 8 years ago. But Chelsea are still a European football club at some level at least.

You do know you can sell players, its rare they get sold even on shorter deals - see Bissouma.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I’d be unhappy as I would have been more
Ambitious than where we were 8 years ago. But Chelsea are still a European football club at some level at least.

You do know you can sell players, its rare they get sold even on shorter deals - see Bissouma.

If you have 5+ years left on your fat chelsea contract what motivation do you have to accept a potentially shorter and less lucrative contract elsewhere? Many players will just sit out their contracts, it happens often now with players on far shorter contracts.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you have 5+ years left on your fat chelsea contract what motivation do you have to accept a potentially shorter and less lucrative contract elsewhere? Many players will just sit out their contracts, it happens often now with players on far shorter contracts.
Perhaps there’s early release / settlement fees or something. Everyone is guessing because hardly anyone has seen the contents of these new Chelsea contracts.

Long contracts are common in NFL etc aren’t they ? How do they handle it

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Didn't Moyes get a similar length contract at Manchester United? In fact, I think they might still be paying him now :lol:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Perhaps there’s early release / settlement fees or something. Everyone is guessing because hardly anyone has seen the contents of these new Chelsea contracts.

Long contracts are common in NFL etc aren’t they ? How do they handle it

No, not really.

And a lot of the time, players that sign long contracts end up being cut by the team after a few years.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Is ‘The Dullard’ cheeky old ‘Chappers’? I used to like him but he makes Lampard, Sutton, Dixon and Potter look interesting these days. Over-exposed like Olivia Coleman and Cumberbatch too. Less is more/moron.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Listened last night. Sorry If you've already mentioned on here, but with a slightly less professional (and neutral) hat on, is all this nuts or does it actually make a lot of sense? If the main risk is that a player is a dud, and can't be moved on, is that really likely to be that much of an issue? Feels to me that the furore around it is more because its actually a very clever way to fix the FFP system. Someone last night said 'you can only do it if you're mega rich, Norwich wouldn't'. So is that just the crux of it? They can afford the risk and they've fiddled the system.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here