Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
re: data, I find it highly improbable that Starlizard/Tony Bloom has access to any data that others haven't. Everyone has one or multiple providers of data based on camera-tracking and GPS, and also event based-data. There's no secret things going on on the pitch, there is nothing that isn't measured by multiple companies selling data to clubs. The key is to understand which of these thousands and thousands of data points that are relevant and which aren't.
Agreed - like most things everyone can gather a lot of data, it’s how you use that data and how efficient you make it that is the difference. Starlizard pretty much lead the way in sports

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I voted for fail. If I was indifferent I wouldn't have opened the thread.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
re: data, I find it highly improbable that Starlizard/Tony Bloom has access to any data that others haven't. Everyone has one or multiple providers of data based on camera-tracking and GPS, and also event based-data. There's no secret things going on on the pitch, there is nothing that isn't measured by multiple companies selling data to clubs. The key is to understand which of these thousands and thousands of data points that are relevant and which aren't.
Obviously. The whole point is that Tony Bloom has spent 30 years creating something unique and I'm sure the likes of ex-P.E. teacher Danny Ashworth don't have a clue about what that is.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The ideal scenario for me is that Chelsea spend large this window, loan out those players that don't want to be there with minimal contribution to wages from the club getting the loan player, and all the players that come in fail to turn it around significantly. Potter gets a few results, ideally against teams standing between us and a top 4 finish, and just enough to buy him a bit more time, give them a bit of hope, then get smashed on the 15th April when we visit, so badly that Boehly talks him into resigning, and he walks away without a pay off.
Boehly installs Steven Gerard as manager and Chelsea fans really lose their shit.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How can Chelsea keep spending the money they have? I read it’s now almost 400m in the last 2 windows, that’s without the 100m they are about to spend on the Argentinian fella

It appears for all Boehlys nonsense about building a club and faith in the manager, his only real tactic is to throw endless amounts of cash at the issue and hope it resolves itself.

Chelsea have been unfortunate with injuries, that’s all I will say, they’ve lost key players in wide positions with only a 63m pound signing and a Spanish international to cover for them 😭

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s the use of the data, the theory.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How can Chelsea keep spending the money they have? I read it’s now almost 400m in the last 2 windows, that’s without the 100m they are about to spend on the Argentinian fella

It appears for all Boehlys nonsense about building a club and faith in the manager, his only real tactic is to throw endless amounts of cash at the issue and hope it resolves itself.

Chelsea have been unfortunate with injuries, that’s all I will say, they’ve lost key players in wide positions with only a 63m pound signing and a Spanish international to cover for them 😭
Exactly.

Same old Chavs.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes. My instant response was 'I want him to fail'.

Then I thought about it a bit.

1. I'd like to see an English manager to succeed in the EPL
2. He's not our manager anymore, so none of my concern - I don't like the idea of peeking through my neighbour's bathroom window.
3. However if he fails (and soon) then he and his recruitment team are all likely to be jettisoned, which reduces the risk of more poaching of our players.

So failure would be the best outcome for the Albion. On this occasion my id and my superego have emerged from the same nightclub, holding hands and looking all pleased with themselves.
Eddie Howe could fulfill first thought, to throw the cat among the seagulls.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Part of my own recovery process is realising the importance of cutting the deadwood characters/irrelevant issues out of your life and equally important your thoughts.

Albion wise to me now GP, is no different to Pat Saward, Cloughie, Dean Wilkins et al, he's an ex manager who was paid to do a job, the bottom line is for whatever circumstances that job has come to an end.

Living all of our lives at times looking in the 'rear view mirror' has no benefit.

Whether he succeeds or fails at any of his jobs, present or future, in the grand of scheme of things how does that effect us?

Simple answer it doesn't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eddie Howe could fulfill first thought, to throw the cat among the seagulls.
Yep. I wasn't paying attention when Eddie became smug, smirking at the outrageous robbery of points from the Albion, so I have always quite liked him, and he's doing a terrific job at Newcastle without (so far) replacing all his rubbish duffer players like 'Dan Bum' with 100 million pound Brazilians.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I’m torn. I actually want him to do well. He was good for us and it would be nice to see young English managers get the bigger jobs. If he has a catastrophic run it might put people off in the future.

He is inevitably going to get sacked before things turn round though. Simply won’t be afforded the year or so it needs. I’m also bored of Chelsea getting so much chatter on here and other social media from Brighton fans. The quicker he goes on that basis the better so we can get back to not hearing about Chelsea and him every week or two.

Then we can start hearing about Villa/Wolves/Everton every week or so instead when he’s appointed by one of them 6 months after.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Part of my own recovery process is realising the importance of cutting the deadwood characters/irrelevant issues out of your life and equally important your thoughts.

Albion wise to me now GP, is no different to Pat Saward, Cloughie, Dean Wilkins et al, he's an ex manager who was paid to do a job, the bottom line is for whatever circumstances that job has come to an end.

Living all of our lives at times looking in the 'rear view mirror' has no benefit.

Whether he succeeds or fails at any of his jobs, present or future, in the grand of scheme of things how does that effect us?

Brilliant post, mate. With the caveats I mentioned earlier this morning, I agree :thumbsup:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

It’s just not realistic to expect human beings to think like this though, it’s like saying all players are the same… compare a legend like Calderon to Leon Best, both are now technically just ex players but they way they conducted themselves and the legacy they left will always be there and they will always be judged for it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed - like most things everyone can gather a lot of data, it’s how you use that data and how efficient you make it that is the difference. Starlizard pretty much lead the way in sports
I have no idea what the owner of Brentford uses but I suggest it’s on a par with what Bloom uses, only better on finding forwards…

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Obviously. The whole point is that Tony Bloom has spent 30 years creating something unique and I'm sure the likes of ex-P.E. teacher Danny Ashworth don't have a clue about what that is.
Pretty sure part of TBs strategy is to recruit competent people who actually do have a clue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s the use of the data, the theory.
And the gift of being able to compute odds (of success, in this case) based on creative use of data. With respect to the latter, it seems that Mr Bloom has skills that are the equivalent of a Messi. Luckily for The Albion.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I have no idea what the owner of Brentford uses but I suggest it’s on a par with what Bloom uses, only better on finding forwards…
Brentford are a weird one. I feel like our players are a lot better. But their system works really well. I don't feel like they have any superstar players apart from Toney and we have lots now.

Big clubs never seem to come in for Brentford players and won't touch Toney for obvious reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here