Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure what additional point you are making or whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with my post above? - I wasn’t saying Boehly et al were ’there to do sportswashing’ 🤔 Of course they are there to make a profit, all clubs are, it’s a business! You’ve just reaffirmed the points I made about Brighton’s scouting, recruiting and coaching success and PW being an important part of that - of course poaching PW was because what PW did at Brighton and Boehly thinking he could use him to make could make Chelsea some money. That was the whole point of my post and the whole point of Chelsea poaching PW. I already stated that PW and the backroom staff were more easily repaceable that’s why I said it pissed me off more that they poached PW than GP - it’s attempting to appropriate the very heart of what has made us successful - PG can go and do one for all I care but what you or nobody else have answered, is my follow up question to my first post, if what @Weststander says is true, how did Boehly have access to TB’s private analytical data from his Starlizard company? - ie not just the stats which are available to anyone who want to pay to use it but the analytics and algorithms to interpret them - Tony Bloom guards them like a pearl in a tightly closed oyster I thought. Without the Starlizard analytics, Winstanley is just another talented recruitment guy in a sport full of them.

“lIt would seem improbable that Bloom would spill the beans to a single employee, knowing full well the day might come when Winstanley would leave Brighton for Chelsea (or any other club for that matter) and take all the knowledge with him.

Winstanley will of course have access to data at Chelsea. But he will not have the analytics he did at Brighton, nor Starlizard’s unknown algorithms which enable the Albion to identify talent otherwise overlooked by the rest of the Premier League.”

Very, very few people – perhaps only Bloom himself – know how the pieces all fit together and the analytics work to produce such successful betting results. Or in the case of the Albion, transfer business.”

I wouldn’t worry - given the nature of stats etc, whatever information Winstanley has, will already be aged and irrelevant by the summer

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I wouldn’t worry - given the nature of stats etc, whatever information Winstanley has, will already be aged and irrelevant by the summer
Thanks - that’s kind of what I thought anyway - TB’s algorithms are constantly changing. I don’t think the access is quite what Boehly thought it might have been when he poached PW.

However, @Weststander was suggesting that Todd Boehly got the analytics from another source other than PW - that was my original question

Last edited:

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I went for the "fail" option, but that's more about me wanting Chelsea to fail rather than Potter. If it wasn't for the large amount of Wonga he ends up with, whatever the outcome, I would be feeling a bit sorry for him.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have an inkling that TB had/has access to the key metrics and analysis tools, whilst Winstanley or Ashworth didn’t.
That would be correct. Winstanley is not and was not a StarLizard employee. He would get access to reports but not the source data. Those data monkeys are in a bunker elsewhere.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You could be forgiven for wondering whether Potter was holding us back.

Perhaps it’s time for another Olive Branch thread. (Joke!)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He did very well for us.
can’t blame him for wanting to take up the challenge.
we’re better off now.
voted indifferent - why would I want him to fail.
nearly voted succeed, but I’d like to see his philosophy succeed rather than Chelsea.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You could be forgiven for wondering whether Potter was holding us back.

Perhaps it’s time for another Olive Branch thread. (Joke!)
I mean he did leave us in 4th, we’re now 8th …!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was not to know we’d do as well as we have since he left, in fact I doubt he gave a shit so yeah f*** him

Do I want him to do well at Chelsea, nope but given time he will. 90% certain that he won’t get that time though as the natives are already extremely restless.

Last edited:

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I do think the reaction on this post would be very different if RDZ didn't hit the ground running like he has and that we are above them in the table.

It is still Bruno that hurts the most for me, but not sure I want him to fail.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Unlikely anyone would stay when offered silly money. whether he fails or succeeds now he will have enough MONEY.

MacAllister please prove me wrong !!!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Chelsea have spent shedloads of money (see what I did there?) but none of it was anything to do with Potter. A part of me wants Potter to leave because early on I said there is a danger of him making them likeable and good to watch. I don’t want that for Chelsea.

If they do their usual antics of sacking the manager there is every chance they would turn into the new Everton. Now that would be funny.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I want him to do well as he did really good things for us and I wanted others to see what we did. I think that would have reflected well on us and him.

However, I can’t think of a worse club for him to choose to leave for. He needs time, he takes time to develop his style and for it to pay dividends. The new ownership may be willing to play the long game but the fans are conditioned to instant success and won’t tolerate anything else. He would have been far better waiting for Spurs as Conte won’t be there for ever and they would have far more patience. If he is sacked it’s back to a middle table club (Leicester/West Ham) for a few years.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That would be correct. Winstanley is not and was not a StarLizard employee. He would get access to reports but not the source data. Those data monkeys are in a bunker elsewhere.
We know this and I stated exactly that in my first post which you didnt read then?. - but it still doesnt explain why @Weststander suggested that TB still had Blooms analytics nonetheless (which was my original question ) and how Boehly would got hold of them -Still not answered!

As I said above:

if what @Weststander says is true ie that Todd Boehly had access the my question is how did Boehly have access to TB’s private analytical data from his Starlizard company? - ie not just the stats (which are available to anyone who want to pay to use it) but the analytics and algorithms to interpret them? - Tony Bloom guards them like a pearl in a tightly closed oyster I thought. Without the Starlizard analytics, Winstanley is just another talented recruitment guy in a sport full of them - which is why I thought ‘tough shit Boehly’ - ‘you got less than you wanted in PW’

“I have an inkling that TB had/has access to the key metrics and analysis tools, whilst Winstanley or Ashworth didn’t.”
Can you enlighten me please ^^ @Weststander ?🤷‍♂️

(edit - or anyone? Or do people not know the answer to the question?)

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Annoyed with him when he left, really annoyed he took the backroom staff.....but now pleased he left, really pleased with De Zerbi, if he fails then stuff him, and HA! Chelsea no different to the other 90 teams, well the other one is Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here