Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm torn, seeing Chelsea fail is a beautiful sight, seeing Gpot fail less so. He did bring our club to another level, never seen in the clubs history,

I'd rather reserve my energy to celebrating these days under RDZ, it really is an incredible time

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Alan Shearer described the first-half display as "unacceptable", "embarrassing" and "pathetic", while Potter himself admitted Chelsea were "clearly suffering as a football club".

We've heard that before, straight from his book of platitudes. I'll be surprised if he's still there at the end of the season because it could get worse before it gets better for the snide Gpott

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We know this and I stated that in my first post. - but it still doesnt explain why @Weststander suggested that TB still had Blooms analytics nonetheless (which was my original question ) and how Boehly would got hold of them -Still not answered!

“I have an inkling that TB had/has access to the key metrics and analysis tools, whilst Winstanley or Ashworth didn’t.”

Can you enlighten me please @Weststander ?🤷‍♂️
Imho and I like to think its this way:

TB and no one else at the club had/have access to the underlying intellectual property, being the analytical tools and database on players globally.

Then staff such as Ashworth and Winstanley were only presented with selected reports to assist scouting and recruitment.

Therefore Boehly does not have it.

He’s spending £100m’s anyway on fees, in a different world.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Voted indifferent as I always switch off a player or a manager when they leave my beloved club. They are then representing someone else. An opponent. A threat to us. Don't usually spend too much time following their subsequent careers. One or two I have wished well. Most.....Bye...!!
The mass exodus with Potter didn't go down well with me. It felt like pillaging and raping. Even after three seasons with us, I was unsure whether GP could hack it at an elite club.
He is still a relative novice in management. Ostersunds FK was pre school. Swansea was primary school and Brighton was senior ( 11 - 18 ) level. Most of the managers that Chelsea have employed in the last 20 years have operated at university level, some with great success. Many were multiple trophy winners. Potter has been nowhere near winning a trophy of any description above pre school level. Most have been hardened, bullet proof people used to knocks at the highest level. Potter doesn't fit this brief. He has a fairly fragile ego, which generally shows in irritability and tenseness when any criticism is voiced. He doesn't have one specific gameplan. He is a free thinker. He chops and changes at a whim. He can confuse players. He can be too clever for his own good sometimes. He can overthink. It can take a long time for players to buy into what he is trying to achieve and get used to his foibles.
That is why Chelsea was the wrong footballing move for him. Unless he delivered fairly quickly, it was obvious that one of the most entitled fanbases around would turn on him, which is exactly what is happening now. This isn't the USA. A day out with popcorn and soda and " golly gee, didn't we have a great day " This is an unforgiving arena and its global. Boehly can get away with loyalty and trust in the process in that environment. He can't here.
By turning to the model and the achievement of Potter and team at Brighton, he failed to assess the temperamental capability of his target to cope with the enormous pressures of one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

TB and no one else at the club had/have access to the underlying intellectual property, being the analytical tools and database on players globally.

Then staff such as Ashworth and Winstanley were only presented with selected reports to assist scouting and recruitment.

This would be my view. I always assumed that the true owner of the data is Starlizard, and it's there to assist in gambling. The football club use a subset of the overall database for recruitment purposes, and as you say, individuals will see reports or filtered extracts to assist with recruitment.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Potter doesn't fit this brief. He has a fairly fragile ego, which generally shows in irritability and tenseness when any criticism is voiced. He doesn't have one specific gameplan. He is a free thinker. He chops and changes at a whim. He can confuse players. He can be too clever for his own good sometimes. He can overthink. It can take a long time for players to buy into what he is trying to achieve and get used to his foibles.
That is why Chelsea was the wrong footballing move for him. Unless he delivered fairly quickly, it was obvious that one of the most entitled fanbases around would turn on him, which is exactly what is happening now.
All true and Boehly is culpable too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We know this and I stated exactly that in my first post which you didnt read then?. - but it still doesnt explain why @Weststander suggested that TB still had Blooms analytics nonetheless (which was my original question ) and how Boehly would got hold of them -Still not answered!

“I have an inkling that TB had/has access to the key metrics and analysis tools, whilst Winstanley or Ashworth didn’t.”

Can you enlighten me please @Weststander ?🤷‍♂️

(edit - or anyone? Or do people not know the answer to the question?)
I didn’t read your post, no. Was just responding to Weststander.

I don’t see how Boehly can have access to StarLizard analytics. I assume TB was a misspelling from Weststander.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

@Zeberdi - this seems to address your point.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Ok that’s what I thought and what I stated originally but that directly contradicts what you wrote in response to my original post - so I’m a bit confused! 🤔

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
@Zeberdi - this seems to address your point.
No it doesnt - lol - Weststander in the last post is repeating what I said originally as have your posts but his initial response was that Todd Boehly did have access. Which is why I was subsequently asking how would he? 🙄

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't normally hold grudges but really want him to fail. It might be as simple as the beard tinting - just feels like he feels he is better than us now and we should be grateful he took most of our backroom staff as it was some kind of Faustian pact we entered into to get where we are now. I'm pleased White is doing well and also pleased Biss and Cucu are not doing well. Leave on good terms and best of luck to you.

If I am honest - the real reason is probably that I like being right and I, along with others at the time, said it was a bad move and his style wouldn't work with more demanding supporters and bigger player egos. I do like being right - as rare as it is.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I want him to succeed because coaches like Potter SHOULD succeed. Young English managers who have worked themselves up the game and have real tactical understanding and ability and express a joy for the beautiful game. So much better than a merry-go-round of miserablists like Mourinho and Conte.
I see it a bit different, we need those moneyed clubs to f*** up from time to time, keep on spunking big bucks on Managers that only last a season or two, demand a major squad overhaul or the acquisition of a £100M player that just doesn't fit, sign players that are temperamental, fall outs between Manager and Chairman.
If they stop being daft and impatient, we have a smaller chance of competing by being smarter and patient.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No it doesnt - lol - Weststander in the last post is repeating what I said originally as have your posts but his initial response was that Todd Boehly did have access. Which is why I was subsequently asking how would he? 🙄
Which is why I said that I assumed it was a misspelling or error. I’d let it go.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This would be my view. I always assumed that the true owner of the data is Starlizard, and it's there to assist in gambling. The football club use a subset of the overall database for recruitment purposes, and as you say, individuals will see reports or filtered extracts to assist with recruitment.
Yes, it was mine too - which is why I said ‘tough shit Boehly!’ 😂

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Which is why I said that I assumed it was a misspelling or error. I’d let it go.
Right you are -it was that subsequent posts seemed to repeat what I had originally stated as if it was a correction of what I had said so just wanted to clarify that what I said initially was correct and that I hadn’t missed any ‘insider info! lol 👍

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tribal innit
Yes. My instant response was 'I want him to fail'.

Then I thought about it a bit.

1. I'd like to see an English manager to succeed in the EPL
2. He's not our manager anymore, so none of my concern - I don't like the idea of peeking through my neighbour's bathroom window.
3. However if he fails (and soon) then he and his recruitment team are all likely to be jettisoned, which reduces the risk of more poaching of our players.

So failure would be the best outcome for the Albion. On this occasion my id and my superego have emerged from the same nightclub, holding hands and looking all pleased with themselves.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
re: data, I find it highly improbable that Starlizard/Tony Bloom has access to any data that others haven't. Everyone has one or multiple providers of data based on camera-tracking and GPS, and also event based-data. There's no secret things going on on the pitch, there is nothing that isn't measured by multiple companies selling data to clubs. The key is to understand which of these thousands and thousands of data points that are relevant and which aren't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here