[Albion] Potter In or Out

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter IN//OUT or Fence?

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
*League wins.

Do I think some of those draws deserved to be wins? Absolutely. Do I think we're in real danger of getting relegated? Absolutely. Do I think those that are 'Potter in' make some valid points? Absolutely. Do I think those that are 'Potter out' are idiots? Absolutely not.

Fair enough... but admit using the lack of wins at home as sole arbiter of Potter as manager is a bit of a cheap point then. Given we’re in a pandemic with no fans (ie most the home “advantage” missing), and most home results have flipped this season.

Even Man Utd tonight.

Our away record is very good
We’ve hardly been beaten at home (that’s the problem. Too many draws).
And you’d have to have a heart of stone not to admit we deserve to win many of these drawn games.

That’s the bigger picture rather then glibly saying “we ain’t won at home for 300 days” (which is also twisting the number of days btw).

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
After 50 years following the Albion through some really Dark times, I'm starting to fall out of love with them.

The last season with Hughton in charge, and the next two with clueless Potter, I'm beginning not to care. We're sleepwalking into relegation, and with Potter in charge, and our pathetic 'attacks' from our so-called 'strikers', we can't complain too much. We've punched above our weight, and flattered to deceive.

Our home results against teams below us have been embarrassing.

Go ahead ahead and denounce me as "a bad fan" - I don't care anymore.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Was that the game when our nearly full strength side scraped through against an average League One team?

The team that knocked out West Brom? Like the way Crawley knocked out Leeds?

The way cup shocks happen every season.. And we scrape through.

You’ve convinced me. Porter out.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Fair enough... but admit using the lack of wins at home as sole arbiter of Potter as manager is a bit of a cheap point then. Given we’re in a pandemic with no fans (ie most the home “advantage” missing), and most home results have flipped this season.

Even Man Utd tonight.

Our away record is very good
We’ve hardly been beaten at home (that’s the problem. Too many draws).
And you’d have to have a heart of stone not to admit we deserve to win many of these drawn games.

That’s the bigger picture rather then glibly saying “we ain’t won at home for 300 days” (which is also twisting the number of days btw).

I have lots of other things I could use as an arbiter of Potter, if you would like? I just see the lack of home wins as the easiest fix. We have played the bottom 3 at home and not beaten any of them. If we had beaten two of them (heck, probably even one), there wouldn't be any noise about Potter in or out.

Yeah, there is less advantage of playing at home at the moment but there is still some advantage.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Well as a fan, then, you must also be concerned with our lack of home wins. Yes, there is no crowd so there is less advantage. But there is still some advantage.

The fact that there in no crowd is a blessing in disguise for Potter. If a full Amex was watching yet another home game without a win Mr Potter would be feeling a lot more uncomfortable than he is at the moment! The fact he still has job is definitely helped by no fans at the Amex!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have lots of other things I could use as an arbiter of Potter, if you would like? I just see the lack of home wins as the easiest fix. We have played the bottom 3 at home and not beaten any of them. If we had beaten two of them (heck, probably even one), there wouldn't be any noise about Potter in or out.

Yeah, there is less advantage of playing at home at the moment but there is still some advantage.

Do you not see any improvements under the man at all? Honestly? Tactically. In the way we play, formations, systems, our one touch passing, having the balls to play our young players? (Sanchez ffs).

You admit yourself then that we deserved to win most of those drawn games. That’s the bigger picture. The performances are there, the results are not.

If we were losing every game convincingly I’d be Potter out. But that’s not what I’m seeing. I see a talented and innovative coach who sets us up to dominate possession and create umpteen chances every game. The players aren’t taking the chances, we are tantalisingly close to being a very good team. That’s why I’m Potter in. Not because I think he’s trendy or something. I care about my club and I see good things happening for us with this manager long term.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The fact that there in no crowd is a blessing in disguise for Potter. If a full Amex was watching yet another home game without a win Mr Potter would be feeling a lot more uncomfortable than he is at the moment! The fact he still has job is definitely helped by no fans at the Amex!

Or.. conversely the home Amex crowd roars us to victory and changes some of our draws to wins, eg Liverpool earlier in the season. A la Tottenham and Man Utd home wins in recent seasons.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do you not see any improvements under the man at all? Honestly? Tactically. In the way we play, formations, systems, our one touch passing, having the balls to play our young players? (Sanchez ffs).

But the problem is that no points are handed out to "most improved team" or "most kids played" at the end of the season. I do not see how you can possibly square this...

I care about my club and I see good things happening for us with this manager long term.

...with the increasing likelihood of relegation.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
In. I wavered after Newport for the first time, but performances since then have been very encouraging.

We are incredibly well coached. You can see from our patterns of play, that everyone knows their role and up to the final third we are excellent.

Players are clearly playing for the manager and believe in him and what he is doing.

Unfortunately we cannot convert our chances. If we had Danny Ings we’d be around 12th as it is we are operating with a reasonable premier league striker in Maupay a young lad with 5 goals from 35 games and a Swiss 2nd division striker. Hopefully Welbeck comes back and or Tau shows the form he did against Man City rather than his other appearances.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Or.. conversely the home Amex crowd roars us to victory and changes some of our draws to wins, eg Liverpool earlier in the season. A la Tottenham and Man Utd home wins in recent seasons.

Maybe, but were you in the Amex in the last few games of Hyppia’s reign? Or when we were losing 0-2 to Cardiff under Hughton! It was very obvious the feeling in the stadium! How do you think the crowd would react to no home wins this season (in the league before you mention the wins against League 1 opposition)?
Potter is very lucky he doesn’t have the pressure of the crowd at the moment! Everyone is playing in front of no crowds at the moment and we have the worst home record over the last year than any other of the 92 clubs! No crowd in the Amex is no excuse for Potter’s dreadful record at home!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
In.

He had us set up well tonight, we played pretty well, just couldn't take our chances. Its the same old story but not exactly one you can blame on Potter. The fix is to buy a better striker but with the recent financial losses that have been documented its no wonder the club arent out there spending millions on that star player we all want, and who can blame them. Imagine if we had a Vardy/Ings/Calvert-Lewin type player in the squad, we'd most likely be top 10, but without spending money we dont have or getting lucky that isnt going to happen. Of course like everyone else i'd love us to be higher up there table but I cant really get on Potter's back for the current situation. What we should have done is sell Ryan, Jahanbaksh, & Bernardo to aid the striker fund, but thats easier said than done.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

You admit yourself then that we deserved to win most of those drawn games. That’s the bigger picture. The performances are there, the results are not.

If we were losing every game convincingly I’d be Potter out. But that’s not what I’m seeing. I see a talented and innovative coach who sets us up to dominate possession and create umpteen chances every game. The players aren’t taking the chances, we are tantalisingly close to being a very good team. That’s why I’m Potter in. Not because I think he’s trendy or something. I care about my club and I see good things happening for us with this manager long term.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying .

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
100% in.

He literally can't do any more than he is. He set us up brilliantly every single match and every single match he is let down by our bottle jobs in front of goal.

This has been going on for over a year now. It comes down to training and confidence and we never look like we expect to score, even with the most clear cut chances. If it was irregular you can blame the players but if it is constant then it is the coaching team. Enough is enough

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maybe, but were you in the Amex in the last few games of Hyppia’s reign? Or when we were losing 0-2 to Cardiff under Hughton! It was very obvious the feeling in the stadium! How do you think the crowd would react to no home wins this season (in the league before you mention the wins against League 1 opposition)?
Potter is very lucky he doesn’t have the pressure of the crowd at the moment! Everyone is playing in front of no crowds at the moment and we have the worst home record over the last year than any other of the 92 clubs! No crowd in the Amex is no excuse for Potter’s dreadful record at home!

Yes I was there, and you’re not wrong, crowd can turn horrifically.

But under this manager and the we play, I think we can be electric at home with the crowd behind us.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Yes I was there, and you’re not wrong, crowd can turn horrifically.

But under this manager and the we play, I think we can be electric at home with the crowd behind us.

Can't imagine anything under Potter being electric under any circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports