Votes: 291 65.0%
  • Out

Votes: 98 21.9%
  • Fence

Votes: 59 13.2%

• Total voters

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Pointless having theses votes I expect GP is here whether we’re in PL or championship

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Pointless having theses votes I expect GP is here whether we’re in PL or championship

I'm not sure. There are a couple of decent young managers with good experience in the jobs market at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if Bloom isn't thinking about someone like Lampard.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
All down to Mr Tony Bloom and no one else we can 2nd 3rd and 4th and 5th and maybe even 6th Guess but no one knows shit.

Be honest not one person though CH would be sacked did they it will be the same with GP

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
IN.

But relegation would be a disaster and we'd have to really analyse what went wrong.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I don’t think he is going anywhere even if we go down. Bloom will stick with him in the championship and I don’t have a problem with that as hopefully we will do a Norwich and bounce straight back up. The one thing that has stood out to me is that he has stuck to underperforming players and has not given a chance to others to see what they can do. Examples are Zeqiri. He has been on the bench for every game since he signed and still only played 86 premiership minutes when we have struggled to score. If he is not good enough why have him on the bench. The same applies to Tau. In the last two games our midfield has tired at 60 minutes and cost us points. Moder came on for four minutes In one game and nearly set up a goal. The next game he is left on the bench while the midfield is dead on their feet. Trossard has been poor for weeks and stays on. Potter has gone backwards in this regard. When he first came it was noticeable that he changed shape during a game and made changes when required. Now he is frightened of his own shadow and won’t make those game changing decisions. He still gets the team to play good football but we might as well have three subs on the bench because that’s all he needs. He seems to not trust his players. He is morphing in to CH without the dire football but won’t take risks when nothing else is working. We are sleep walking into the championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure. There are a couple of decent young managers with good experience in the jobs market at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if Bloom isn't thinking about someone like Lampard.

This is a joke, right? The Lampard bit

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I don’t think he is going anywhere even if we go down. Bloom will stick with him in the championship and I don’t have a problem with that as hopefully we will do a Norwich and bounce straight back up. The one thing that has stood out to me is that he has stuck to underperforming players and has not given a chance to others to see what they can do. Examples are Zeqiri. He has been on the bench for every game since he signed and still only played 86 premiership minutes when we have struggled to score. If he is not good enough why have him on the bench. The same applies to Tau. In the last two games our midfield has tired at 60 minutes and cost us points. Moder came on for four minutes In one game and nearly set up a goal. The next game he is left on the bench while the midfield is dead on their feet. Trossard has been poor for weeks and stays on. Potter has gone backwards in this regard. When he first came it was noticeable that he changed shape during a game and made changes when required. Now he is frightened of his own shadow and won’t make those game changing decisions. He still gets the team to play good football but we might as well have three subs on the bench because that’s all he needs. He seems to not trust his players. He is morphing in to CH without the dire football but won’t take risks when nothing else is working. We are sleep walking into the championship.

Is this just your frustration? No player is better for a fan than when they haven't really seen them and they haven't really played. I suspect all of us feel Moder / Zeqiri / Tau are worth a go – because we haven't seen them day to day. If I was stood on the training ground all week, I might conclude GP is playing it right with what he has.

Against West Brom we changed it at HT, 2nd sub at the hour mark, then 83' for Moder and we did change shape and tactics. Leicester was like for like it seemed, Alzate 68' then Welbeck to try to win the game on 79'. You can go back through the lineups and see that subs are being made early i.e. against Palace with us completely on top Alzate went off at HT for Welbeck and we changed tactics in doing that.

We've got Lamptey, Webster, March all injured as well as Connolly as an option now. That has hurt us. I'm with you on Moder, thought he showed enough briefly to be someone to go to with Trossard looking poor – BUT, Trossard has been a match winner for Potter over the last 2 seasons. I think he's feeling that with such a lack of goalscorers, Trossard is someone who can find the net given a chance, so I can see the thinking even though agree he has been poor at times.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The one thing that has stood out to me is that he has stuck to underperforming players and has not given a chance to others to see what they can do. Examples are Zeqiri. He has been on the bench for every game since he signed and still only played 86 premiership minutes when we have struggled to score. If he is not good enough why have him on the bench. The same applies to Tau.

Completely agree with this.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
This is a joke, right? The Lampard bit

I'd take Lampard over Potter any day. Played at the highest level, finished in a champions league spot with a Chelsea team relying heavily on youth, did well with Derby in his first managerial season, knows the game at the very highest level and the personalities/egos that go with it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Is this just your frustration? No player is better for a fan than when they haven't really seen them and they haven't really played. I suspect all of us feel Moder / Zeqiri / Tau are worth a go – because we haven't seen them day to day. If I was stood on the training ground all week, I might conclude GP is playing it right with what he has.

This indeed.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I'd take Lampard over Potter any day. Played at the highest level, finished in a champions league spot with a Chelsea team relying heavily on youth, did well with Derby in his first managerial season, knows the game at the very highest level and the personalities/egos that go with it.

Jury is out on Lampard I feel. His replacement appears to have really improved Chelsea which is an immediate indication things weren’t going well for some reason for there to be an immediate improvement. West Brom on the other hand don’t appear to have changed that much changing managers leading to the conclusion their plight is more about the squad than the management.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He had plenty of young quality players at Derby and Chelsea, not being able to deal with senior players sounds like a big flaw to me. Not impressed at all personally, let’s see how he does in his next job. There is absolutely no way I can see him being given Potter’s job either, but who knows. These are mad times

His outburst against Klopp after a beating is exactly what some want from a manager though. Losing it shows passion apparently :rolleyes:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It’s not just Fulham. Newcastle and Burnley very much in the mix. Newcastle were poor today, very little intent. We have a massive game coming up against them. The quintessential relegation 6 pointer.

Yes - and I pointed that out on the Leicester matchday thread

Newcastle are poor - although not quite as poor as Brighton at the moment (5pts compared to 2pts over the past 5 games) - but poor. It should be noted that Newcastle have had a shiteload of players out injured - hardest hit in the PL - Dubravka, Lascelles, Saint-Maximin, Schar, Fernandez, Fraser and now Wilson, Manquillo and Almiron as well. They are badly missing Wilson who is scoring a goal every other game. The injuries have begun to clear up and that will strengthen Bruce's hand - although Wilson is still 2-3 weeks from being fit (and could miss the Brighton game). Newcastle play Villa and Brighton before Spurs and Burnley.

Burnley have only lost once in seven, although five of those have been draws, and have climbed from the bottom of the table earlier in the season . I think they will continue to pick up points regularly. They play Everton and Southampton before their Newcastle game.

Fulham have a few tough games coming up - Man City and Leeds before Villa and Wolves. I would expect them to get beaten by City, but they do have momentum and they know they can dig out results. I think Parker has done a remarkable job, the team is playing good football, is resilient, and, unlike Brighton at the moment, does not appear to have a soft underbelly. I would rate the job that Parker has done as higher than Potter so far.

Brighton currently have the worst form in the PL - 2 draws and 3 losses in the last 5. The team has only won once at home this season and after a run of 3 home wins at the start of last season, have only won twice at home since the beginning of November 2019 (2 home wins in 17 months). You have to win your home games - they determine where you end up in the league. Like last season, it looks like opposing managers have figured out how to beat (or draw) with Brighton, despite the team dominating possession and playing pretty, passing, entertaining football. The same thing happened last season and Potter was saved by the lockdown. At the time of the lockdown last year Brighton hadn't won in ten - before getting 7 pts in 4 games to create a sufficient gap to stave off relegation (while 15th they were only 2pts ahead of Bournemouth in 18th before ending up 7 pts ahead of 18th).

The next two games are crucial - away to a Southampton team that was on a major slide before beating Sheff Utd this weekend - and then a crucial home game against Newcastle. As you say - it is a massive game and a win is absolutely vital. In reality a minimum of 4 pts are needed from these two games to try and recreate the gap to Fulham and put Newcastle between the club and Fulham (and a win against Newcastle is crucial to this). Unfortunately, the way things are going I can see Southampton winning because Hasenhüttl is smart enough to exploit Brighton's weaknesses - and I wouldn't be surprised if the Newcastle game ended in a draw. This would be the normal pattern - losing to Southampton when they should draw or win and drawing with Newcastle when they should win.

By the looks of it, it is going to be a dogfight against relegation for the rest of the season - after the 10pts in 4 games that shouldn't have happened. And of the teams at the bottom I think that Brighton are the least equipped for the dogfight. Dyche knows what he is doing, Bruce has been here before, he has managed Birmingham, Wigan, Sunderland and Hull in the PL before Newcastle. He has battled relegation on several occasions (and got relegated a couple of times) - he knows what is needed. This doesn't mean that Bruce can keep Newcastle up - but he does know what is needed to do it. Lastly, you can never write of a Sam Allardyce team as long as they have a mathematical chance of survival. He kept Bolton in the PL against the odds in their first two seasons, dug Blackburn out of a hole, kept Sunderland up, and then did the same at Palace. It could be argued that WBA is the toughest challenge he has had - but it should be noted that in the last 5 games WBA have 1 W (against Brighton) and 3Ds - and a loss to Everton. They play Palace next and a win there puts them on 21pts. WBA will continue to grind out results for the rest of the season and it will likely be only on the last day that we will know for sure that they are going to be relegated.

Potter has two winnable games to show that he can pull the team out of the rut it is in - it really is getting to 'put up or shut up' time. There is still 11 games to go - but these next two will likely determine what will happen for the rest of the season.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Still, just about Potter in.

But, Trossard needed to be subbed at halftime, he was obviously having ‘ one of those’ games. I can’t remember him actually passing to a teammate.
Lallana was knackered after an hour, he should have been subbed. I would like to have seen Modor.

Maupay going off was what lost us the game, he was running his legs off, pressing in their first third so well, Welbeck came on , and sauntered around a bit.
If Izzy was fit enough, he should have replaced Trossard, if not him, Zeqiri.
The
If Maupay had to come off, ( but later than he did)Tau should have replaced him.

Easy, this management lark.

Yeah agree. Lallana was shot after 60 minutes and Maupay should have stayed on. Bringing Welbeck on is ok but play 2 up front.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Jury is out on Lampard I feel. His replacement appears to have really improved Chelsea which is an immediate indication things weren’t going well for some reason for there to be an immediate improvement.
Don't rate Lampard - think he is full of bluff and bluster. He got both jobs because he was a good English footballer (like Rooney and Gerrard). Of the three I think Gerrard is the most likely to succeed - but to be honest, winning a title in Scotland with Rangers when Celtic were in freefall is nothing more than padding the CV.

West Brom on the other hand don’t appear to have changed that much changing managers leading to the conclusion their plight is more about the squad than the management.
Yes - the WBA squad is shite - but that doesn't mean that Allardyce cannot save them.

WBA's last 5 games
1-1 Man U
0-0 Burnley
1-0 Brighton
0-1 Everton
0-0 Newcastle

Brighton's last 5 games
1-1 Burnley
0-0 Villa
1-2 Palace
0-1 WBA
1-2 Leicester

It should be noted that WBA have conceded 2 goals in 5 games - Brighton have conceded 6 in the same. When you are fighting relegation then not conceding is crucial - you draw games and you can snatch the occasional win. Furthermore, Brighton conceded in the 87min against Leicester, 95min against Palace, and had 80mins to get a goal against WBA (and before that conceded in 91min against Wolves - 82min against West Ham - 81min against Southampton). Unlike WBA, this Brighton team cannot hold on to a lead when they have it and have a habit of conceding at the end of a game - that is a pattern that sees draws instead of wins and losses instead of draws (or wins). Allardyce has solidified WBA while Brighton have this soft underbelly - and while WBA might not make it, Allardyce will keep them fighting until the very end.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Don't rate Lampard - think he is full of bluff and bluster. He got both jobs because he was a good English footballer (like Rooney and Gerrard). Of the three I think Gerrard is the most likely to succeed - but to be honest, winning a title in Scotland with Rangers when Celtic were in freefall is nothing more than padding the CV.

Yes - the WBA squad is shite - but that doesn't mean that Allardyce cannot save them.

WBA's last 5 games
1-1 Man U
0-0 Burnley
1-0 Brighton
0-1 Everton
0-0 Newcastle

Brighton's last 5 games
1-1 Burnley
0-0 Villa
1-2 Palace
0-1 WBA
1-2 Leicester

It should be noted that WBA have conceded 2 goals in 5 games - Brighton have conceded 6 in the same. When you are fighting relegation then not conceding is crucial - you draw games and you can snatch the occasional win. Furthermore, Brighton conceded in the 87min against Leicester, 95min against Palace, and had 80mins to get a goal against WBA (and before that conceded in 91min against Wolves - 82min against West Ham - 81min against Southampton). Unlike WBA, this Brighton team cannot hold on to a lead when they have it and have a habit of conceding at the end of a game - that is a pattern that sees draws instead of wins and losses instead of draws (or wins). Allardyce has solidified WBA while Brighton have this soft underbelly - and while WBA might not make it, Allardyce will keep them fighting until the very end.

Allardyce's tenure is 0.73 ppg. They likely need 18 pts in 10 games as I suspect between Fulham, Us, and Newcastle, 36 will be safe. Their last 5 game form (with the ridiculous 3 pts they got against us) only gets them 12 points from their remaining games. It's all too late for them.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Yes - and I pointed that out on the Leicester matchday thread

Newcastle are poor - although not quite as poor as Brighton at the moment (5pts compared to 2pts over the past 5 games) - but poor. It should be noted that Newcastle have had a shiteload of players out injured - hardest hit in the PL - Dubravka, Lascelles, Saint-Maximin, Schar, Fernandez, Fraser and now Wilson, Manquillo and Almiron as well. They are badly missing Wilson who is scoring a goal every other game. The injuries have begun to clear up and that will strengthen Bruce's hand - although Wilson is still 2-3 weeks from being fit (and could miss the Brighton game). Newcastle play Villa and Brighton before Spurs and Burnley.

Burnley have only lost once in seven, although five of those have been draws, and have climbed from the bottom of the table earlier in the season . I think they will continue to pick up points regularly. They play Everton and Southampton before their Newcastle game.

Fulham have a few tough games coming up - Man City and Leeds before Villa and Wolves. I would expect them to get beaten by City, but they do have momentum and they know they can dig out results. I think Parker has done a remarkable job, the team is playing good football, is resilient, and, unlike Brighton at the moment, does not appear to have a soft underbelly. I would rate the job that Parker has done as higher than Potter so far.

Brighton currently have the worst form in the PL - 2 draws and 3 losses in the last 5. The team has only won once at home this season and after a run of 3 home wins at the start of last season, have only won twice at home since the beginning of November 2019 (2 home wins in 17 months). You have to win your home games - they determine where you end up in the league. Like last season, it looks like opposing managers have figured out how to beat (or draw) with Brighton, despite the team dominating possession and playing pretty, passing, entertaining football. The same thing happened last season and Potter was saved by the lockdown. At the time of the lockdown last year Brighton hadn't won in ten - before getting 7 pts in 4 games to create a sufficient gap to stave off relegation (while 15th they were only 2pts ahead of Bournemouth in 18th before ending up 7 pts ahead of 18th).

The next two games are crucial - away to a Southampton team that was on a major slide before beating Sheff Utd this weekend - and then a crucial home game against Newcastle. As you say - it is a massive game and a win is absolutely vital. In reality a minimum of 4 pts are needed from these two games to try and recreate the gap to Fulham and put Newcastle between the club and Fulham (and a win against Newcastle is crucial to this). Unfortunately, the way things are going I can see Southampton winning because Hasenhüttl is smart enough to exploit Brighton's weaknesses - and I wouldn't be surprised if the Newcastle game ended in a draw. This would be the normal pattern - losing to Southampton when they should draw or win and drawing with Newcastle when they should win.

By the looks of it, it is going to be a dogfight against relegation for the rest of the season - after the 10pts in 4 games that shouldn't have happened. And of the teams at the bottom I think that Brighton are the least equipped for the dogfight. Dyche knows what he is doing, Bruce has been here before, he has managed Birmingham, Wigan, Sunderland and Hull in the PL before Newcastle. He has battled relegation on several occasions (and got relegated a couple of times) - he knows what is needed. This doesn't mean that Bruce can keep Newcastle up - but he does know what is needed to do it. Lastly, you can never write of a Sam Allardyce team as long as they have a mathematical chance of survival. He kept Bolton in the PL against the odds in their first two seasons, dug Blackburn out of a hole, kept Sunderland up, and then did the same at Palace. It could be argued that WBA is the toughest challenge he has had - but it should be noted that in the last 5 games WBA have 1 W (against Brighton) and 3Ds - and a loss to Everton. They play Palace next and a win there puts them on 21pts. WBA will continue to grind out results for the rest of the season and it will likely be only on the last day that we will know for sure that they are going to be relegated.

Potter has two winnable games to show that he can pull the team out of the rut it is in - it really is getting to 'put up or shut up' time. There is still 11 games to go - but these next two will likely determine what will happen for the rest of the season.

Should never have sacked Hughton. Lol

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Should never have sacked Hughton. Lol

Who knows - Hughton might have got relegated last season if still in charge. It really is irrelevant to what is happening now.

And I still support Potter - he has shown potential and could become a very good manager - but he needs to prove it now and over the next 11 games or he won't get a chance to see through his (and Bloom's) plans. If he blows it up at Brighton his chances of managing in any of the top leagues are gone forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports