Votes: 291 65.0%
  • Out

Votes: 98 21.9%
  • Fence

Votes: 59 13.2%

• Total voters

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Disagree. Tony is the owner, the majority shareholder. He appoints a manager to take the responsibility.

I’m enjoying having a chat that isn’t some irrational in/out. I don’t think TB does appoint the manager to take full responsibility as he has appointed a director of football, has a head of recruitment etc for which Potter isn’t directly responsible. We know that targets are identified and presented to the manager for input, but ultimately recruitment isn’t down to him. So I know what you’re getting at, the results of the team are about how they’re managed and therefore GP shoulders a fair amount, but not everything. Think TB will see there is a lot more going on this season than just results.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
He is unlikely to walk away from such a long contract and Tony won’t be sacking him so yes, he will stay.

None of us know what is in that contract. A headline time period of the contract is one thing, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have clauses to reward success and on the flip side, provide for relegation or under performance.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’m enjoying having a chat that isn’t some irrational in/out. I don’t think TB does appoint the manager to take full responsibility as he has appointed a director of football, has a head of recruitment etc for which Potter isn’t directly responsible. We know that targets are identified and presented to the manager for input, but ultimately recruitment isn’t down to him. So I know what you’re getting at, the results of the team are about how they’re managed and therefore GP shoulders a fair amount, but not everything. Think TB will see there is a lot more going on this season than just results.

If we were getting hammered every week, that’d be one thing. But we have been in nearly all our games. Even the ones we’ve lost. If we can find the right striker we have the makings of a good side.

I don’t see any other teams in the bottom half playing football like us. But I back TB whichever decision he goes with, although I do suspect if we go down Potter will still be our head coach.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I had a look and most teams in and around us don’t have a poll on the manager going after every game. Certainly don’t see Fulham having one after they narrowly lost to Spurs who are miles below Leicester in the table or Burnley having one after getting spanked by Spurs.

What’s the matter with us, when did we become such entitled xxxxxxxxx

Fulham fans would have expected to be in this position and they have at least done the bare minimum, which is beat the teams below them in the table. We have not done that.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
None of us know what is in that contract. A headline time period of the contract is one thing, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have clauses to reward success and on the flip side, provide for relegation or under performance.

I think you can be 99.9% certain there will be what is known as a " Compromise Agreement " written into it. They almost all have nowadays within the Footballing Industry.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Only if you’re anti-Potter and it then suits your agenda perhaps. It’s not a single factor that’s causing the lack of points for me - it’s a combination including some tactical (I still can’t for the life of me understand Ali J being brought on) and possibly motivational (that will be mainly at Potter’s door but also we seemingly lack leadership on the pitch - I don’t see or hear Dunky enough as captain), injuries, player concentration, players either out of touch or not good enough (recruitment issue), no fans, some bad luck etc etc. If you’re going down that route the buck stops with Tony for appointing him - in which case it doesn’t matter because it’s his club and he can do what he wants.......

It doesn’t absolve Potter from blame for me at all, it’s just that he’s not the only one responsible. He wouldn’t have known Welbeck was going to jog around and do **** all when he came on yesterday or that Sanchez was going to have his first big brainfart and cost us a point. How do you legislate for that as a coach ?

If Tony wants a change of manager that’s fine with me but a) I don’t think he will even if we drop and b) I have no idea who I’d want in to replace him.

Pretty much sums it up, although I think Potter is more to blame than maybe Dazzer does. He knew what he had at his disposal and he's managed to put us on the verge of the relegation spots - a place we've never visited.

I'm voting In, only because it's suicide to change managers at this point in the season. If we were going to change then it should have been at the turn of the year at the latest.

So, my in vote should NOT be taken as a vote of confidence.

Perhaps future polls should make clear whether we are voting on Potter's managerial competence or on whether he should be ditched now.

At the end of this season, either he goes or the board buy him players that can do what he wants them to do. The latter strategy is, in my opinion, still high risk.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you can be 99.9% certain there will be what is known as a " Compromise Agreement " written into it. They almost all have nowadays within the Footballing Industry.

Even if it’s not written in to the contract, it’s pretty easy to sort one out........

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I don’t think Potter is the problem. Sure there are some decisions (AJ, WTF) that were wrong, however given how the team play most games, those decisions should be the difference between finishing, say, 15th and finishing 10th, NOT being dangerously close to relegation.

The reason we are where we are, is simply that we don’t have good enough players (esp up front). Look at xG, the way we play, that’s down to manager/tactics, the problem is with final execution, that’s down to the players imo.

All we can hope for, is to somehow survive and then really get some better attacking players in and ship out the poorer players (AJ, Connolly on loan, arguably Trossard too etc.)

We will probably not have Lallana/Welbeck next year (regardless of whether we stay up) so they need replacing too if we stay up.

The other big problem is, if we go down and lose Potter (I suspect there will be some PL clubs with better players than we do who will be crying out for him and make good offers too), we not only have to replace Potter but also be restricted to managers that aren’t PL ones.

Then there’s the issue of the better players (Bissouma, Dunk, Webster, Lamptey maybe, March too) also being sold and needing replacement. Couple that with a new manager, getting back up to PL won’t be easy.

Then even if we do get back up, we will have the same problem as doing it on the “cheap” doesn’t work and our recruitment don’t seem to be good enough to compensate by gambling with relatively unknown/unproven players.

Ultimately, the problem is with player recruitment. Whether that be due to budget or recruitment personnel not being good enough, I’ve no idea).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty much sums it up, although I think Potter is more to blame than maybe Dazzer does. He knew what he had at his disposal and he's managed to put us on the verge of the relegation spots - a place we've never visited.

I'm voting In, only because it's suicide to change managers at this point in the season. If we were going to change then it should have been at the turn of the year at the latest.

Perhaps future polls should make clear whether we are voting on Potter's managerial competence or on whether he should be ditched now.

At the end of this season, either he goes or the board buy him players that can do what he wants them to do. The latter strategy is, in my opinion, still high risk.

I don’t disagree, could debate for hours about degree of culpability across the club.........but ditching him now would be madness. If we stay up, he’ll get another shot after the summer window for sure. If we go down.......not sure but suspect TB will keep him (unless he walks) anyway.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why would he even care? Potter's stupidly long contract has set him and his family up for life before he sinks back into well-earned obscurity :shrug:

So essentially Potter is our Pardew?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yeah good points all round. Getting rid of Potter today solves nothing, he has to be given the chance to turn it around. Even CH was. Unfortunately that good faith produced the Bournemouth and Cardiff games.

But keeping the plan in situ in totality is risky. It's obviously not joined up. And the league table doesn't lie. "Too good to go down" doesn't exist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here