• Out

Votes: 98 21.9%
  • Fence

Votes: 59 13.2%

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m enjoying having a chat that isn’t some irrational in/out. I don’t think TB does appoint the manager to take full responsibility as he has appointed a director of football, has a head of recruitment etc for which Potter isn’t directly responsible. We know that targets are identified and presented to the manager for input, but ultimately recruitment isn’t down to him. So I know what you’re getting at, the results of the team are about how they’re managed and therefore GP shoulders a fair amount, but not everything. Think TB will see there is a lot more going on this season than just results.

Agreed re in/out. That’s the wrong debate at the moment. I don’t disagree with any of your points but only one person can influence the strategy for the final 11 games. I want to see a plan taking shape next Sunday and I really don’t want to come on here and read that we dominated the game but were unlucky. If that is the outcome every week then given the playing resources at his disposal, he needs to make changes. I think that partly comes down to the type of chances we are creating given the talents of our forwards. It is also team selection ie Maupay and Trossard, and substitutions. I completely accept that we have three very influential players missing at the moment but I am not convinced we are making best use of the available options.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Potter has been our manager for 1.71 seasons, at what point does his performance become long term?

1st season he kept us up with a record points total. So surely we agree no issues there.

This season. Were you calling for GPs head during our 6 game unbeaten run? After we beat Leeds, Liverpool and Spurs? No of course you weren’t.

Now we’ve lost 3 on the bounce you’re speaking up. That’s short term thinking. Which is totally fine and a valid perspective, but it is short term a la Watford.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think you can be 99.9% certain there will be what is known as a " Compromise Agreement " written into it. They almost all have nowadays within the Footballing Industry.

I thought that was something agreed with an employer when an employee leaves/is sacked. The former gets the guarantee of no legal action and the latter gets cash. Are you sure they are written into employment contracts ?

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
1st season he kept us up with a record points total. So surely we agree no issues there.

This season. Were you calling for GPs head during our 6 game unbeaten run? After we beat Leeds, Liverpool and Spurs? No of course you weren’t.

Now we’ve lost 3 on the bounce you’re speaking up. That’s short term thinking. Which is totally fine and a valid perspective, but it is short term a la Watford.
To be fair last season we were stuck in a rut and sinking when the season was suspended - the enforced break allowed us to regroup and scramble enough points to stay up. A decent outcome in the end but who knows what would have happened if the suspension hadn't happened.

After nearly 2 seasons we can't really say that GP is still learning. That was a great little run in January/February, but there is still too much poor game management and a general lack of nous and toughness that should have been remedied by now.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
11 games left and we need 10 more points min. Next two games are massive, Saints and Newcastle....We all know what a new voice/view can do to a dressing room. This 485 chances a game and losing, has happened far to often now, to be anything other than a crisis of confidence. I don't know if Potter can turn this around now? We all know, we should have at least a dozen more point. But all that matters is we haven't and the bucks stops with the manager I'm afraid. We cant score goals, yet Tau and Zeqiri cant get a sniff of a minute on the pitch. So we must assume they are shite. And if they aren't then their confidence must be shot to bits wondering what they have to do, to get game time. I fear we are gone, unless a breath of freash air sweeps through the dressing room. The bigger question is, who is out there, that could change our fortunes, at least as a short fix till end of season?.....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought that was something agreed with an employer when an employee leaves/is sacked. The former gets the guarantee of no legal action and the latter gets cash. Are you sure they are written into employment contracts ?

Correct (mostly)......what he’s got I suspect is an early termination clause (or several)......

.......in my experience (I’ve seen and arranged several) a compromise agreement is very much not (legally at least) sacked, it’s an adult discussion followed by a swift exit. Discussion is usually along the lines of ‘we can do this the easy way or the hard way - the easy way is I pay you £xxxxx and we state you’ve left by mutual agreement, the hard way is you decline my offer and get sacked’

....the latter option likely to result in legal proceedings (v rarely happens in FS at least as the CA is usually pitched at a level that is likely to be accepted).

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I've never called for GP's head and I've been very consistent in my assessment of him.

You're the one that started a thread crowing after we beat Liverpool and Spurs. Now that was short term thinking!

Last season we finished 7 points above relegation and there were times that we looked like we were in big trouble.

This season we also look like we're in big trouble (but we could still yet finish well above the relegation zone).

At what point do you have to say, this is a long term pattern?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

For years they used to always be stand alone negotiated agreements after a Termination. Not any more.

Due to the nature of the job and the fact that a sacking is virtually inevitable. They are for the most part now pre- agreed.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I've never called for GP's head and I've been very consistent in my assessment of him.

You're the one that started a thread crowing after we beat Liverpool and Spurs. Now that was short term thinking!

Last season we finished 7 points above relegation and there were times that we looked like we were in big trouble.

This season we also look like we're in big trouble (but we could still yet finish well above the relegation zone).

At what point do you have to say, this is a long term pattern?

Ok cool. I don’t entirely disagree with your concerns.

But it’s too easy to raise all this on the back of 3 defeats. And let’s be honest, the Palace one was ludicrously undeserved. Everyone agrees on that I think.

My take is I think we are there or thereabouts where we should be. I feel the players have let GP down in recent games. And equally I think recruitment have let him down big time not bringing in a quality striker.

GP is not blameless of course. I’m genuinely perplexed how Maupay is undroppable, and likewise Tross. And Welbeck continues to confound me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
For years they used to always be stand alone negotiated agreements after a Termination. Not any more.

Due to the nature of the job and the fact that a sacking is virtually inevitable. They are for the most part now pre- agreed.

In which case the length of the contract is irrelevant. All the debate about the extension to 6 years was a waste of time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In which case the length of the contract is irrelevant. All the debate about the extension to 6 years was a waste of time.

I have posted that many times on here.

Long Term Contracts only really benefit the Clubs because it keeps the Managers on the same amount of money for the years that the contract runs for. No need to give a pay rise.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
In obviously.

Just need to get through this season.

As long as we stay up, hopefully he will be given a budget in the summer. Just a few pieces short of a masterpiece.

The only way he will be given a budget in the current situation is by selling our prize assets................the ones who won't want to play two games a week in the Championship !!

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Ok cool. I don’t entirely disagree with your concerns.

But it’s too easy to raise all this on the back of 3 defeats. And let’s be honest, the Palace one was ludicrously undeserved. Everyone agrees on that I think.

My take is I think we are there or thereabouts where we should be. I feel the players have let GP down in recent games. And equally I think recruitment have let him down big time not bringing in a quality striker.

GP is not blameless of course. I’m genuinely perplexed how Maupay is undroppable, and likewise Tross. And Welbeck continues to confound me.

But this isn't on the back of 3 defeats, that's the point. For almost two seasons now, we haven't won many games and the same issues are there week in and week out. That is a long term pattern, not short term.

Obviously when we lose a game the vocal minority will want Potter out and that is short term thinking. But those of us like myself, Darren Freemans Perm, Guinness Boy etc. look beyond the immediate results, whether it's win, lose or draw and have genuine concerns about what has happened over the past 2 seasons and what will happen for the rest of the season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But this isn't on the back of 3 defeats, that's the point. For almost two seasons now, we haven't won many games and the same issues are there week in and week out. That is a long term pattern, not short term.

Obviously when we lose a game the vocal minority will want Potter out and that is short term thinking. But those of us like myself, Darren Freemans Perm, Guinness Boy etc. look beyond the immediate results, whether it's win, lose or draw and have genuine concerns about what has happened over the past 2 seasons and what will happen for the rest of the season.

I think you expect too much from our team then possibly.

We are where should be. Certainly on wage budget. Where do you think we should finish then out of interest?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't get involved with this in/ out stuff we are not relegated yet.
But I am not stupid enough to say that i know this is a results based buisness and results wise Potters record is shocking especially at home.
If we do stay up and he is sacked, as Chris was, I would be breaking the bank to bring Gerrard, Morelas and Kent to Brighton.
With our other injured players back we would be a real force.
Gerrard has proved himself, even though its the Scotch, he has done a fabulous job and I think he has zero loyalty to Rangers and would not hesitate to now manage in the PL.
Very expensive I know but its is what you have to do these days to stay and especially do well in this league.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't get involved with this in/ out stuff we are not relegated yet.
But I am not stupid enough to say that i know this is a results based buisness and results wise Potters record is shocking especially at home.
If we do stay up and he is sacked, as Chris was, I would be breaking the bank to bring Gerrard, Morelas and Kent to Brighton.
With our other injured players back we would be a real force.
Gerrard has proved himself, even though its the Scotch, he has done a fabulous job and I think he has zero loyalty to Rangers and would not hesitate to now manage in the PL.
Very expensive I know but its is what you have to do these days to stay and especially do well in this league.

Super!

kent.jpg

Gerrard will join Liverpool when the present incumbent goes, I would imagine. He doesn't need to cut his teeth again, with us, frustrated at the small budget and flakey fan base, before flouncing, like Gussie did.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think you expect too much from our team then possibly.

We are where should be. Certainly on wage budget. Where do you think we should finish then out of interest?

17th or above. Which is why it's hard to judge until the end of the season, as we could easily finish 15th but could also as easily get relegated.

At the moment, it's looking more like the latter.

But I certainly expect us to win one game vs Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Super!

View attachment 134604

Gerrard will join Liverpool when the present incumbent goes, I would imagine. He doesn't need to cut his teeth again, with us, frustrated at the small budget and flakey fan base, before flouncing, like Gussie did.

I would have thought that Brighton,if we stay up, would have been the perfect stepping stone between Rangers and Liverpool, having said that Klopp may go this close season, but I doubt it, but if he did would Liverpool take him on so quickly.
Rangers may not like it but I am certain that if a PL job came up tomorrow you would not see him for dust.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports