Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
I think Chelsea are out of depth when it comes to Potter. He is undoubtedly a very good coach. However, as we are all well aware, he needs time to restructure the squad and change mindsets and I don't think Chelsea have it in them to be patient and reap the rewards in a couple of seasons. Shearer put it well when he said they needed to remember just why it was they grabbed him and all our coaching staff. I am torn. I don't want to wish him ill will but the way he left us brings out the worst in me. That being said it would put a smile on my face to see Chelsea waste a ton of money by sacking him and the coaching staff.
Pretty much sums up how feel. Like you say, a very good coach, but also a bit beige and lacking in personality. Chelsea fans will never warm to him and they are too entitled to give him time to do his thing. I'm not bothered about Potter, but I love to see one of the so-called big clubs fail to buy the success they seek. They need to bloody earn it like everyone else.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Was pissed off when he left but understood the reasoning, but he must have known that by taking our other back room staff he could have damaged us quite a lot in the short term. But his bank balance will be Ok should he need to reinvent himself at another club. As for Chelsea? Hope they win nothing ever again.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm really torn.

I think if he'd moved on to a different big club who didn't decide to ransack us I'd be in the I want him to succeed camp. I want him and our ex players to succeed because it reflects well on us. I don't like the 'o.k for Brighton but not for us (i.e a big club)' attitude.

I really, really don't like the arrogance and entitlement of the Chelsea fans who have had the knives out for him from day one. They're ignorant as f*** and that's where my real dilemma comes in. I want Potter to prove that what he achieved with us and where we are at as a club isn't some 'easy at a small club' thing. That belittles us and our achievements.

BUT the Chelsea fans are such an odious bunch of bellends that I really, really want them to fail and to fail bad. As in they go back to what they were for 100 years before money money money took them to the upper echelons, which was basically a west London West Ham. I'd quite enjoy it if Newcastle took their place at the big table and they were left feeding off scraps.

So I guess what I'm after is for Potter to either do ok there(and then move on to a better club where he does really well) or to fail in a monumental style.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
He will not have failed at a personal level.
He will not have to work again and be set up for life, job done.
Being set up for life doesn’t feed the soul, if anything it leaves you with a life devoid of purpose, and for an ambitious guy like GP that wouldn’t be great. I don’t for a minute buy into the ‘went to Chelsea for money’ bit, he went to progress his career imho, move it onto a bigger stage.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I’d prefer it not to be a success as I don’t really like the club. But the bind the new owners have put the club in is hilarious in many ways. I’ve no idea which way it’ll go, but the patience of the club vs the patience of vocal fans is going to run and run. And all the time the uncertainty as to whether Potter and his team can cut it at that level. I think I’ll just settle back and enjoy the spectacle.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm enjoying the difficulties he's facing.
I don't think he would have thought it could have gone quite so badly so quickly.

There have been a few comments where it sounded as if Potter was starting to believe his own hype.
Indicating that he was responsible for Our success, rather than the other way around.

RDZ's success is shining a light on how much help Potter had from us, to enable him to shine so brightly.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I just want the message that leaving Brighton for the BBD (bigger, better, deal) will, more often than not, end in failure and disaster.

Why?

Nothing personal but I’d prefer us to be able to keep folk like Ashworth, Potter, Bruno, Roberts, Cucurella, Bissouma and Winstanley instead of losing them to the big buck.

If Potter fails, perhaps others currently at the club will think twice before jumping ship. That is my motivation in wishing in failure.
This is how I feel. Don't have much against the guy (he was offered a job at a club playing CL football - who knows if he would've had that opportunity again), but him failing there would be good for us as you say

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hopefully he stays for a while and their results continue to be awful. If they get knocked out of the Champions League that's their season done. We'll see about "long term project" at that point.

As others have said, our relative success can only reinforce how well run we are.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I hope failure keeps Potter up at night.
I hope Cucurella's hair falls out.
I hope Bruno contracts syphilis.

I'm petty and I hold a grudge.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hopefully he stays for a while and their results continue to be awful. If they get knocked out of the Champions League that's their season done. We'll see about "long term project" at that point.

As others have said, our relative success can only reinforce how well run we are.
Agree that if they go out against Dortmund it would probably be the end for him there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm really torn.

I think if he'd moved on to a different big club who didn't decide to ransack us I'd be in the I want him to succeed camp. I want him and our ex players to succeed because it reflects well on us. I don't like the 'o.k for Brighton but not for us (i.e a big club)' attitude.

I really, really don't like the arrogance and entitlement of the Chelsea fans who have had the knives out for him from day one. They're ignorant as f*** and that's where my real dilemma comes in. I want Potter to prove that what he achieved with us and where we are at as a club isn't some 'easy at a small club' thing. That belittles us and our achievements.

BUT the Chelsea fans are such an odious bunch of bellends that I really, really want them to fail and to fail bad. As in they go back to what they were for 100 years before money money money took them to the upper echelons, which was basically a west London West Ham. I'd quite enjoy it if Newcastle took their place at the big table and they were left feeding off scraps.

So I guess what I'm after is for Potter to either do ok there(and then move on to a better club where he does really well) or to fail in a monumental style.
Correct answer

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Agree that if they go out against Dortmund it would probably be the end for him there.
Really!

Boehly and his merry men keep saying they will persevere and even allow non qualification to the champions league next season. Surely the ego of a twat like that will not allow him to suddenly go on a different course because they got knocked out of a cup to a decent team.

I think they will give potter until, at least, the end of the season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm Meh

I've been Brighton since I was in Short trousers, but had a soft spot for Chelsea ( they weren't Manure or Liverpool ) and particularly when VIalli, Zola, Gullit etc were there. . . . I neer went, allways followed us, but watched from a safe distance.

Since 2000 0ish though, f*** em.

I never really liked Gpot but can't deny he layed some great foundations. Shame he didn't finish the job . . . IF he could have . . .not sure where the mark of success is, but It feels like we've already stepped up a rung above his comfort zone.
what happens next up there, I care not.

It's far too exciting here to gie a flying farquar one way or the other

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here