Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter & £323 million of talent into a 33 man squad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a strange, strange choice of manager Potter was when you look at the bundles of super dupper superstars they have bought since. Really bizarre.
It's not though, there's about a 5 year difference in age between the bundles of cash wasted on Tommy Tippett's signings, in the Summer and Potters this January.

With the exception of Cucu I can see the summer signings being kicked out, Chelsea's team instantly dropping it's average age by about 8 years, and GPotts media image being exactly the manager they want.

The only question being is whether can GPott live up to his media image or not?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dickhead, not a word about the support and backing he got from Bloom when things weren't going well. In fact I am taking his comments as an insult to the Albion. Feel free to call me precious and needy.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Interesting article in the The Athletic today talking about what Chelsea are doing. Had the reminder that Clearlake are a private equity firm so will be doing this all to make a profit eventually. Pour a lot of money in and wait a couple of years. Also suggests they have spent big in January window to distort the market a bit.

*edit* worried I’ve remembered that incorrectly now. Anyone else read it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Attachments

• Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg
    Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 30

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Quite funny in his press conference today to be fair

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Fascinating to see how this plays out….going to be several players with high expectations being benched or even outside the squad on a regular basis, integrating all of them into some kind of shape/system will be tricky and pressure on Potter for results after so much spending (from the fans and media, if not Boehly) himself will be huge.

Not all of these players are going to work out……the long FFP-circumventing contracts are going to seriously bite them on the arse at some point.
No excuses for fluffing their lines at this years panto then, assuming he’s still there at Xmas

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Had the reminder that Clearlake are a private equity firm so will be doing this all to make a profit eventually. Pour a lot of money in and wait a couple of years.
Seems like a tough ask with the likes of City and Newcastle competing.

Also suggests they have spent big in January window to distort the market a bit.
What's the play there? How does a distorted market make them money?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems like a tough ask with the likes of City and Newcastle competing.

What's the play there? How does a distorted market make them money?
Suppose when they’re selling in a few years prices are higher. Wished I’d paid more attention now!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Swap deal - Colwill, Broja and Gallagher for Caicedo or MacAllister?
No - although I would like to take Colwill - but I think Chelsea will have another problem when it comes to having a clear out, apart from other PL teams happy not to help them out, will be players on Chelsea wages quite happy to sit out their contracts getting rich rather than take a pay cut.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Badashile, who has looked really good actually and cost HOW MUCH? So it begins.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No - although I would like to take Colwill - but I think Chelsea will have another problem when it comes to having a clear out, apart from other PL teams happy not to help them out, will be players on Chelsea wages quite happy to sit out their contracts getting rich rather than take a pay cut.
The Athletic article did say a lot of the new contracts they’ve given out have a lower basic pay (thought probably still more than ours) and appearance/performance bonuses to try and stop this very issue

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Suppose when they’re selling in a few years prices are higher. Wished I’d paid more attention now!
I don't think they push up prices on their own. Other teams (Madrid, City, Barca, PSG) have been paying big money for years - if Chelsea alone go above them, they should run into trouble when their squad is full, and then they'll have players on huge salaries that are Seems like an odd strategy. It worked in Abramovich's time because there was no minted City and Newcastle to compete, so Chelsea could dominate. Not sure they can now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Athletic article did say a lot of the new contracts they’ve given out have a lower basic pay (thought probably still more than ours) and appearance/performance bonuses to try and stop this very issue
Probably more than ours? I'm amazed that the top players would take contracts that don't involve huge basic salaries. Just daft when they can be dropped and replaced.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Probably more than ours? I'm amazed that the top players would take contracts that don't involve huge basic salaries. Just daft when they can be dropped and replaced.
yeah I assume the basic is huge and way more than ours but less than might be expected for such big fee signings. So maybe 150k a week instead of 250k with lots matchday and performance bonuses. Should have paid more attention to the article but supposedly it’s to help with the FFP and keeping wages lower for players that sit in bench/get loaned out.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Twitterverse Chelsea (the ones who couldn't find London on a marked map) are now demanding Hansi Flick.

I wonder if he'd get the same sized contract!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here