Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter & £323 million of talent into a 33 man squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One would think they’ll be looking to sell academy graduates, as that enters the yearly balance sheet as pure profit and goes a long way to balancing the books for FFP. Seems the polar opposite to ‘the project’ Potter was sold.
They're going to have to sell an awful lot of academy graduates to balance up this season's spending! Absolutely agree it doesn't look like the Potter project we all assumed he was promised.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
More spending to follow , shirley not .

KIERAN MAGUIRE: Chelsea's £323m January splurge is NOT the end, they can spend MORE in their amortisation plan - with sales... Todd Boehly is a genius or gambler but it'll be costly if he's wrong​

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wouldn’t believe ANY articles written in the Mail THAT for some REASON contain RANDOM capitals and no doubt written by a clueless TWAT
More spending to follow , shirley not .

KIERAN MAGUIRE: Chelsea's £323m January splurge is NOT the end, they can spend MORE in their amortisation plan - with sales... Todd Boehly is a genius or gambler but it'll be costly if he's wrong​

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I stopped caring about Potter now (as much). It seems like he has gone from a serene existance at a very well run club, to a complete basket case owner who thinks throwing millions of Pounds/Euros/Dollars at any player someone has said is quite good is a good stratagy and fans that wanted him out before he even joined them. If he manages to negate all of this and their fottunes turn around, I will have some grudging respect for him.

Saying all that, let's hope Fullham win on Friday. Just for shits and giggles

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is going to be an attempt at an enormous clearout in the summer - it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

My prediction is that they won't be able to shift as many as they'd like and will have to accept lower fees than market value for the ones they do shift as buying clubs won't be able to afford to match the wages they are on. There's only a handful of clubs outside the premier league that can even think about paying Chelsea-level wages, so there's going to be a lot of heavy-lifting required by the likes of Everton, West Ham and Palace (seemingly Forest too if they are still in the PL)
Swap deal - Colwill, Broja and Gallagher for Caicedo or MacAllister?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There is going to be an attempt at an enormous clearout in the summer - it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

My prediction is that they won't be able to shift as many as they'd like and will have to accept lower fees than market value for the ones they do shift as buying clubs won't be able to afford to match the wages they are on. There's only a handful of clubs outside the premier league that can even think about paying Chelsea-level wages, so there's going to be a lot of heavy-lifting required by the likes of Everton, West Ham and Palace (seemingly Forest too if they are still in the PL)

Yep as the buying clubs will know that Chelsea are keen to move certain players on I could imagine Chelsea getting quite low offers from the buying clubs. The other PL clubs will be in no hurry to help Chelsea meet FFP rules by paying loads of money for players Chelsea are desperate to shift.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter's great strength was using his Emotional Intelligence degree to improve the players at his disposal. Building relationships and team spirit. This is not what is required at Chelsea. These players are the finished article already, used to winning. Enzo Fernandez is a case in point - what can Potter say to the World Cup winner when he himself has just 4 months of big club experience? What is needed is a manager with an aura, a proven track record at Europe''s elite clubs who the 33 players can look at and say "Yes, this guy is a proven winner who knows what he's talking about."
Was it though? You trot that line out like it was fact. RDZ appears to have improved all that good stuff without having to take a degree in anything at all

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Was it though? You trot that line out like it was fact. RDZ appears to have improved all that good stuff without having to take a degree in anything at all
RDZ has taken a good squad, tweaked the formation but with a much more attack-minded philosophy.

My point was about why did Chelsea hire Potter if their intention was to spend £350m? Chelsea have brought in a manager used to working closely with a group and getting incrementally better performance from that group. It took him 2 seasons before his changes yielded a meaningful upturn in results. Yet Chelsea have now swamped him with a bloated squad full of big money signings. There is nothing in his past career that suggests he is capable of dealing with that. You would have thought if you're going to hire Potter the strategy would be to have a tighter group; Mourinho had great success at Chelsea with just 25 players - 2 for every position plus a spare keeper. Potter might have handled that OK, but now he has 3 for every position, including stars like Aubameyang and Sterling that will be lucky to get 45mins of football a month.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
RDZ has taken a good squad, tweaked the formation but with a much more attack-minded philosophy.

My point was about why did Chelsea hire Potter if their intention was to spend £350m? Chelsea have brought in a manager used to working closely with a group and getting incrementally better performance from that group. It took him 2 seasons before his changes yielded a meaningful upturn in results. Yet Chelsea have now swamped him with a bloated squad full of big money signings. There is nothing in his past career that suggests he is capable of dealing with that. You would have thought if you're going to hire Potter the strategy would be to have a tighter group; Mourinho had great success at Chelsea with just 25 players - 2 for every position plus a spare keeper. Potter might have handled that OK, but now he has 3 for every position, including stars like Aubameyang and Sterling that will be lucky to get 45mins of football a month.
Totally agree with you. You make some very good points. Had to pick you up on your opening lines tho, that stuff about his Emotional Intelligence degree. Doubt it's ever done him much good in the workplace. Probably way more about him getting in touch with his own feelings or some such dippy hippy BS 🙂

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Going to be some very unhappy players there with little or no hope of playing. GP has his hands full trying to appease that lot.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Just read this in the Guardian - it's quite something: "Chelsea have just spent more in the January window than the combined amount of transfers in La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1"

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

Boehly was watching Chelsea's training today (and I noticed he was present during Chelsea's warm weather training during the World Cup). It must be pretty stifling and pressured for Potter....

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Here’s a load of jigsaw pieces from various sets. Please put them together and create The Haywain whilst I’m standing over your shoulder.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I sincerely hope that he tries some of the new acquisitions out tomorrow evening and we manage to embarrass him mightily. If so, losing twice in a season to 'little old Fulham' will turn a few more Filth supporters against him - maybe only the old ones who even know we are the oldest team in London (never mind the Borough).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I sincerely hope that he tries some of the new acquisitions out tomorrow evening and we manage to embarrass him mightily. If so, losing twice in a season to 'little old Fulham' will turn a few more Filth supporters against him - maybe only the old ones who even know we are the oldest team in London (never mind the Borough).
We’re all Fulham tomorrow 👍

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Other then the fact it would knock us down a position I would LOVE it if Fulham won tomorrow LOVE it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here