Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential Striker Signing...Ashley Barnes?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He swopped sitting on our bench for sitting on Burnleys, this suggests 2 things to me, 1 he is either earning more money or 2 he has a longer contract. If it is 2 that means if they get promoted within the next couple of years, as we should do, they will be left with a player not good enough for the Premier rather than us.

Forgive me BG if I've misinterpreted the meaning here, but did you intend for your post to read like that? Surely you don't believe we should be promoted? Could be maybe, but certainly not should be.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Frankly I find this all a tad tiresome now.

Barnes has gone, wasn't particularly prolific as a striker, didn't want to sign a new contract with us, so we cashed in £.75m with the alternative being sweet FA in the summer [left on a free].

Finally, you do yourself no credibility with your quote: "Obika & Rodders have yet to hit the goalscoring trail." Please check who scored away at Port Vale. I'm sure its been done to death, but Barnes' goals-per-minute on the pitch was poor - yes I know strikers need other skills too like holding the ball up - and just how many minutes has Rodders had on the pitch to settle into our way of playing.

Please, enough .......

He was playing for a La Liga club; it's not like we got him from Oxford United.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
He swopped sitting on our bench for sitting on Burnleys, this suggests 2 things to me, 1 he is either earning more money or 2 he has a longer contract. If it is 2 that means if they get promoted within the next couple of years, as we should do, they will be left with a player not good enough for the Premier rather than us.

Maybe there is a third factor - i.e. Barnes' agent steering him away from a fresh deal with us because Burnley were offering a longer contract and more money - particularly the latter, of which the agent got to cream off his share? I guess Barnes (and therefore his agent) will also hope for a further increment on top of that if they do make it to the Prem?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Could be worse. My girlfriend has one of me like that.

In the photo he is leaping away, right fist punching the air after having scored a goal. So you can't see his face; the main focus is in fact his somewhat sizeable arse.

I LOVE IT.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Surely you can appreciate people showing a little concern though, especially if the quality of Obika as a replacement is anything to go by?

of course I can, but dragging up Barnes is not going to help, it was his choice to leave and not the clubs. Everyone had there opinion of him and I was one that was happy to see him go, not because he was useless, but because we never ever played as a 2 up front and to have him in the team meant that we lost a natural wide one which I didn't like. He has gone, time to move on and hope that the club brings in someone decent and soon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
of course I can, but dragging up Barnes is not going to help, it was his choice to leave and not the clubs. Everyone had there opinion of him and I was one that was happy to see him go, not because he was useless, but because we never ever played as a 2 up front and to have him in the team meant that we lost a natural wide one which I didn't like. He has gone, time to move on and hope that the club brings in someone decent and soon.

His choice due to what the club valued him at, so ultimately the club's choice.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
His choice due to what the club valued him at, so ultimately the club's choice.

your just picking on me now!!

But to your point, one must assume that the club knows best. They get paid an astonishing amount of money to make those decisions and I believe they got this one right.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Penny pinching? TB has donated over 100 million pounds to this club from his own pocket. FFP or no FFP he can't bankroll the club forever.

yes penny pinching
we are paying Obika (as I assume we are paying him something) and Rodders, surely good business would have been to offer a man who had been our top scorer a little more to keep him here.....it would not have meant any more bankrolling by Tony
we lost one top scorer the same way and the board should IMHO have learned from that lesson

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
yes penny pinching
we are paying Obika (as I assume we are paying him something) and Rodders, surely good business would have been to offer a man who had been our top scorer a little more to keep him here
No, I don't believe it would be good business to have kept Barnes. We got about £800k for him. As well as his wages, that will represent a considerable saving compared to paying both Obika and Rodriguez. And it's not like Barnes did that much for us.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If I got the payrise Ashley got by joining Burnley, then I also would have been off in a flash.

No interesting back story behind the deal. They offered more money. Much more.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Frankly I find this all a tad tiresome now.

Barnes has gone, wasn't particularly prolific as a striker, didn't want to sign a new contract with us, so we cashed in £.75m with the alternative being sweet FA in the summer [left on a free].

Finally, you do yourself no credibility with your quote: "Obika & Rodders have yet to hit the goalscoring trail." Please check who scored away at Port Vale. I'm sure its been done to death, but Barnes' goals-per-minute on the pitch was poor - yes I know strikers need other skills too like holding the ball up - and just how many minutes has Rodders had on the pitch to settle into our way of playing.

Please, enough .......

he had been our top scorer............not many goals I will admit, but he was at least scoring, could our club have not offered him a better contract , then maybe he would not have wanted to go and I know its tiresome but this is second goalscorer we have let go when we are in dire need of one

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No, I don't believe it would be good business to have kept Barnes. We got about £800k for him. As well as his wages, that will represent a considerable saving compared to paying both Obika and Rodriguez. And it's not like Barnes did that much for us.

Did l read that last sentence correctly?, you don't think Ashley did that much for us?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here