Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Post Office Scandal -

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Not looking good for her, nor the Government.
Needs a huge story to cover all this up.
Stand by for an election date, seriously.
Just PM’d you for next week’s lottery numbers. Thanks.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I don't quite understand this Horizon IT Project thing. Just did a search on LinkedIn. Seems like nobody worked on it...
I once worked on a programme that isn't on anybody 's CV. There are people who would rather claim to have been in prison for the 3yrs it was running.

I also had someone apply to me for a job claiming he had done my job on a major programme.

It's true, failure is an orphan and success has many fathers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Depending on your sense of humour, but it's right down my alley .... on Youtube I'm streaming the Telegraph coverage of the enquiry .... helpfully you can go back and forth, skip the enquiry breaks.

The scroll of viewer chat down the right is hilarious. Some pertinent comments, but also wits mocking stuff like her devout Christianity.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Depending on your sense of humour, but it's right down my alley .... on Youtube I'm streaming the Telegraph coverage of the enquiry .... helpfully you can go back and forth, skip the enquiry breaks.

The scroll of viewer chat down the right is hilarious. Some pertinent comments, but also wits mocking stuff like her devout Christianity.
If I was going to come up with my own comment in bad taste, it would be she is simply following the guidance of Peter, who famously said he “couldn’t recall” meeting Jesus three times.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If I was going to come up with my own comment in bad taste, it would be she is following the guidance of Peter, who famously said he couldn’t recall meeting Jesus three times.
If only they had employed doubting thomas

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

The thing is, I think I would find this funny if it wasn’t such a serious matter. What you have here is a literal conspiracy by a major public entity, going right to the very top, where hundreds of innocent people have had their lives, reputations and families ruined and taken away from them having done quite literally nothing wrong.

It’s genuinely a disgrace.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do and “I can’t recall”.

Disgraceful.
Funnily enough, I do sort of get that. If you're head honcho of any major organisation, having ten meetings a day, then you're not going to recall an individual minuted point from a meeting held a decade ago. What you could and should do tho is properly challenge stuff at the point at which it arises. Which Paula Vennells clearly never did, or at least not forcibly enough to make a difference

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The thing is, I think I would find this funny if it wasn’t such a serious matter. What you have here is a literal conspiracy by a major public entity, going right to the very top, where hundreds of innocent people have had their lives, reputations and families ruined and taken away from them having done quite literally nothing wrong.

It’s genuinely a disgrace.

My aspiration is ultimately that a load of PO execs and some solicitors serve lengthy prison terms. I wouldn't shed a tear over their financial ruin too.

Along the way, I won't abandon my mocking sense of humour against these blatant self-serving liars.

In the exchanges, it's interesting how many time Mr Bates was mentioned at PO head office back in the day, not in glowing terms, they've must despised the bloke.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Funnily enough, I do sort of get that. If you're head honcho of any major organisation, having ten meetings a day, then you're not going to recall an individual minuted point from a meeting held a decade ago. What you could and should do tho is properly challenge stuff at the point at which it arises. Which Paula Vennells clearly never did, or at least not forcibly enough to make a difference
But to quote Lionel Hutz there is the truth :nono: and “the truth” :D

The truth is she does know, because she’ll have spent hundreds of hours with counsel talking over each and every piece of discovery in advance of this hearing. Every email, meeting minute and memo will have been prepared for, and lines of questioning will have been forensically looked at in advance.

The strategy is to deny knowledge, accept guilt indirectly in the face of overwhelming evidence, and not self-incriminate.

She is lying through her teeth.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
“I didn’t know; and even if I did know it was after I left the company and you can’t prove otherwise”. Not a real quote by the way; just what she is actually saying

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Inquiry counsel Jason Beer is sticking to questions about Fujitsu's ability to remotely access Horizon accounts in Post Office branches.

In one exchange, Beer brings up an email from 2015 - it was sent by Paula Vennells, to ex-Post Office head of IT Lesley Sewell and ex-group communications and corporate affairs director Mark R Davies, before her well-documented appearance before the business select committee.

Vennells pre-empts in the email that MPs will likely ask her if it's possible to remotely access Horizon data and askes her colleagues:

Quote Message: What is the true answer? I hope it is that we know this is not possible and that we are able to explain why that is. I need to say no it is not possible and that we are sure of this because of xxx and that we know this because we have had the system assured."
What is the true answer? I hope it is that we know this is not possible and that we are able to explain why that is. I need to say no it is not possible and that we are sure of this because of xxx and that we know this because we have had the system assured."
Vennells says she was once advised that in order to get to the truth it's better to tell someone "what it is you want to say very clearly and then ask for the information that backs that up".

Beer suggests that's an "odd way to go about things", which prompts laughter around the room. I hear one person say "unbelievable" to the person next to them.

Vennells keeps a straight face and says this was part of a "genuine attempt to be able to reassure" MPs, and that she believed it to be true that systems couldn't be accessed remotely. Other faces in the room are not as straight.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not looking good for her, nor the Government.
Needs a huge story to cover all this up.
Stand by for an election date, seriously.
1716392174479.png

Any chance of the winning lottery numbers next

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
^^^^ I.e. give me the answer I want to hear, wink wink.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like everyone else I want to see criminal prosecutions, but what can we do them for? To take Vennells as an example: being totally useless, breathtakingly incompetent and massively over-promoted is not actually a crime. Hopefully they can get them with something serious and not just a trivial corporate misdemeanour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here