Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post-match thread - Reading

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If only. The attempt at an atmosphere around us seemed to consist of immature little runts sharing a brain cell and the joy of being allowed out to have a pint of lager by shouting 'c***' at maximum volume about every 20 seconds, with little relation to what was happening on the pitch. After putting up with it for the whole of the second half, my wife turned round to see who these charmers were, only all too predictably, to be told to '**** off'. And then the barrage of 'c***'s continued. Nice.

Now I've been going to football all my life, have been known to lose the plot and even swear like a trooper at times but repeatedly shouting 'c***' for no discernible reason, especially around women and kids ... Grow up eh?

Having spent years telling rugby fans how football supporters get a bad press & that a little bit of a feisty atmosphere is a good thing, 90 minutes in the presence of those dimwits made me pretty despairing at what counts for 'support' these days. No wit, no invention, no actual support in fact - just moronic, mindless, constant abuse.
It was ok where we were, a couple of brain donors came and sat by us briefly but they moved to the back. Allocated seating really doesn't help an away atmosphere, but I guess when it's a sellout there is little alternative (although in this day and age, there should be the ticketing technology available to separate the families with children from the lads).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had an allocated seat next to the Reading lot. On kick off, several of our lot arrived, standing on the stairs and pushing in to the seat rows (ended up with 8-10 stood in a row with 5 seats). No interest in watching the game, only shouting abuse (pretty much as [MENTION=12225]MacKenzie[/MENTION] describes) and making threats to the Reading lot from beginning to end (none of which were carried out as far as I could see afterwards). Not why I go, but why unallocated seating works better I guess - easy to either join in or avoid it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Currently on the train back in to London after the game.

We started the game well and were pretty much on top for the majority of the first half I would say, Reading in the first half didn't really pose us too much of a threat barring a free-kick from the edge of the box which Stockdale saved pretty well. First half was pretty much a midfield battle between the two sides and neither really looked too promising.

Second half we came out on the front foot and brilliant work by Baldock and Hemed who teed up Murphy who was free at the back post to tap in. For the next 5 minutes or so we were pressing for another and nearly had what would have been a comical own goal from a back-pass only for Al Habsi to clear off his line. I think Crofts in the middle today for us was brilliant pretty much throughout. From about the 60th minute onwards we sat back a little and Reading started to look dangerous but without really creating a great deal, fluffing a 4 on 2 counter attack break from an Albion corner.

Once Reading scored, which never really looked like happening until the unfortunate Stockdale, who made some outstanding saves and has been brilliant this season, could only palm a long distance shot from Blackman into the feet of Vydra who then shot high in to the net literally only a minute or so after Calderon and Zamora came on. Personally I would have bought Ince on instead of Zamora as Hemed was having a good game and was linking up well with Murphy. After the goal we sat back too much for my liking and was inviting pressure on to us, with Blackman looking a changed player in the second half and Reading using the flanks well. Reading fans then woke up and found their voices once again, mocking the Albion support who sang pretty much non-stop throughout today. Final stages of the game, Reading had a lot of possession but didn't really create any clear cut chances to win the game. Disappointing that we took the lead and we couldn't hold on to what would have been a brilliant away win but a pleasing point at the end of the day. Reading don't look like a top 6 side to me, maybe they had an off day for 75 minutes.

Albion MOTM for me was Murphy, majority of our attacking and positive play came through him and finished well when taking his chance.

One moan - the queues at half-time, took a good 15 minutes or so to get served anything at half-time, surely with 4000 or so away fans they would look to have more assistants behind the kiosk.

On to Wednesday on Tuesday night. Still unbeaten, still top. Always proud to be an Albion fan.

There's a lot in here, most of which I completely agree with but:
-- think you're over-estimating Crofts' contribution
-- I thought we could have made more noise in the second half
-- wouldn't be too surprised if Reading make the top six: they've got really dangerous attacking players in Blackman, Sa and Vydra
-- not convinced that Murphy was MotM; he did alright, but made a series of mistakes and errors of judgment in the last ten or 15 minutes

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good game that, really came to life when you took the lead. I was impressed with your no. 7, seemed to work hard, also Stockdale who had a blinder. BHA were probably the best side to come to the Madejski so far I'd say, definitely the most organised and hard to break down. I was also impressed with your fans (at least until the equaliser).

I am trying to repress the memory of Vydra choosing to pass instead of shoot.

Spot on. Stockdale is a good keeper, although many on here can't get some (especially poorly timed) howlers from last season out of their heads. He could have done better with that shot (his biggest problem is that he doesn't parry the ball out wide when not catching and tends to spill them into the path of nearby forwards: cf today), but made a number of great saves.
Our number seven is increasingly known on here as King Kayal.
Despite scoring, we've seen Vydra play a lot better against us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting to read the posts and the difference of opinions when selecting the MOTM. It suggests that there were a number of really good performances today across the park and it sounded like it when listening on the radio
A lot of quality players who have a confidence when playing together and for each other. I reckon we would have lost that game last season
Really looking forward to listening again on Tuesday and watching on Saturday

I thought we did well defensively today, and that's where the best performers were, although it was a good team effort with no standout performers (or those that were also made a few mistakes, cf Dunk), which perhaps explains the variety of viewpoints on here.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Pretty bad atmosphere from us too, that was the second away game in a row now we we've been really poor. What's happened? Granted Reading away is a classic for the "I want to sit in my allocated seat" nerds so all the rowdy lot get split up but it was just "We're top of the league" and Al-bi-yawn constantly.

I thought we could have got behind the team far more in the second half after 60 minutes, when they started to put us under pressure.
I don't go to too many away games, so always look forward to hearing some songs that don't get aired at the Amex. Was disappointed that there wasn't one for CH, and feel that we could do with a few for certain players (Dunk, Kayal, Uwe, for instance) but perhaps I just didn't pick them up.

Jan 30, 2008
Pretty bad atmosphere from us too, that was the second away game in a row now we we've been really poor. What's happened? Granted Reading away is a classic for the "I want to sit in my allocated seat" nerds so all the rowdy lot get split up but it was just "We're top of the league" and Al-bi-yawn constantly.
sounds like too many toby's, screaming for a police man types
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
It was alright, I've been to worse than that (Bristol City and Birmingham were like wakes). There were quite a few children and mums there yesterday, with it being half term and fairly local, which means that the language/chanting was a little milder than usual.
really :facepalm:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Had an allocated seat next to the Reading lot. On kick off, several of our lot arrived, standing on the stairs and pushing in to the seat rows (ended up with 8-10 stood in a row with 5 seats). No interest in watching the game, only shouting abuse (pretty much as [MENTION=12225]MacKenzie[/MENTION] describes) and making threats to the Reading lot from beginning to end (none of which were carried out as far as I could see afterwards). Not why I go, but why unallocated seating works better I guess - easy to either join in or avoid it.
screaming for a policeman :whistle:
regards
DR

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
was it a threatening atmosphere,???
regards
DR
No. I'm sorry I think what I've written must have been lost in translation.

I replied to a post saying that we were quiet by stating that I've been to matches with worse (quieter) atmospheres and then going on to say why I thought we were quieter than usual. I'm not sure where "threatening" comes into things.

Did you have a nice day?

Jan 30, 2008
No. I'm sorry I think what I've written must have been lost in translation.

I replied to a post saying that we were quiet by stating that I've been to matches with worse (quieter) atmospheres and then going on to say why I thought we were quieter than usual. I'm not sure where "threatening" comes into things.

Did you have a nice day?

yes thank you
regards
DR

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Great, thanks for that, don't tell [MENTION=206]Marshy[/MENTION] though

;-) I am much happier with Crofts being used away from home and when Kayal and Stephens are playing, although i would still prefer Ince. Crofts can go about his work of breaking up play and giving the ball to them to do the clever stuff.

But dont ask him to play without them... he cant do it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Offended by any reference to Brighton being the self-confessed gay capital of the country but happy to throw around terms like 'mongos' and 'retards'

:tosser:
Fair comment, doesn't apply to all. Only the ones that think the gay chants are still funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here