Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Possible increase in season ticket prices IF promoted

Herne Bay Gull

Mar 4, 2014
The Premier League is the most popular domestic competition in the world. Billions watch the games. Unfortunately, ticket prices reflect this. I'd prefer the German model with much higher attendances & cheaper tickets.

I prefer german models as well!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Supply and demand. Simples.

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
I think the club have areal problem here under, I think, the Sale of Goods Act. The transaction has been made to secure a renewal of the season ticket. I have not received any notification that the price may increase if we are promoted and now once that sale has been made, I don't think you will find they can put the price up. Marks & Spencer don't do their business like that, nor should the Albion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the club have areal problem here under, I think, the Sale of Goods Act. The transaction has been made to secure a renewal of the season ticket. I have not received any notification that the price may increase if we are promoted and now once that sale has been made, I don't think you will find they can put the price up. Marks & Spencer don't do their business like that, nor should the Albion.

It was made quite clear in my renewal that the price could go up if promoted. You may not have seen it, but it was on every .pdf, the website and on correspondence I received.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

There is a condition set out on the club website regarding the possibility of promotion:

'These prices are for the club competing in the Championship. A further review of season ticket pricing will take place should the club secure promotion to the Premier League.'

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Because the wage bill is probably going to have double.

This would be a fair reason if the ticket sales income and TV money in the PL were proportional to that in the championship. However, the money for finishing bottom in the PL is 60m, so a possible 1-2m increase in ticket income from a 10-20% increase in ticket sales is negligible and would risk damaging fan loyalty. The club would do better to reward those who renewed early by freezing the prices.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
They will be liable to the increase as well! Although the club will have to offer full refunds to people on both schemes if they want to give up on the Season Ticket.

i would still want the ticket but was wondering. how they would charge the extra as i and i'm guessing many others have paid in full

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Marks & Spencers have customers BHAFC have supporters, you can't fleece customers easily, you can fleece supports easy.

For Sky to be profitable they needed football that no one else could watch for free so they could charge for it so they extracted the top division from the others and took it away from free TV. None of the supporters complained because they could still watch their club live and it gave them the chance to watch some of their teams away games from their sofa for what it would cost to go to a few games in person. Sky could never have bought the four divisions at that time at once so they needed to break it up.

The armchair supporter was created and we had two leagues one you paid for on Sky the other on terrestrial for free. From then on it was easy the three leagues were falling behind the prem with each season and the prem was the place everyone clubs and supporters wanted to be so in the end the three divisions were devalued both financially and appeal and the lower the league the less appeal to anyone except the most loyal supporters so in the end Sky could snap up the remaining divisions for a much smaller fee than the four combined before the split. TV money was allocated to each club and the TV supporter became almost as important as the live. In fact it could be argued that financially you got more from TV than from matchday.

i'd suggest that if we make the prem because the Amex is full already in the Championship UNLESS ticket prices go up the increase in wages and costs for being in the PREM would mean the Amex is less profitable UNTILL you add in the increased revenue from outside matchday income

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
The Premier League is the most popular domestic competition in the world. Billions watch the games. Unfortunately, ticket prices reflect this. I'd prefer the German model with much higher attendances & cheaper tickets.

I love this argument about the PL. Worldwide the league is about Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Manchester City and probably in that order. If I'd done this to scale I might have also had to include a three inch gap after Manchester United. Surely nobody can realtistically think that they will be in a frenzy of excitement tomorrow night in Singapore waiting to watch Cardiff V Stoke? I wouldn't watch that if they were playing in my back garden.

The reality is that no promoted club needs to increase its ticket prices at all - soaking everyone for another £100 makes little difference to the massive spike in turnover due to tv revenue, which will in any event then be blown on paying players two or three times the going rate, and storing up huge financial problems for when relegation inevitably follows.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love this argument about the PL. Worldwide the league is about Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Manchester City and probably in that order. If I'd done this to scale I might have also had to include a three inch gap after Manchester United. Surely nobody can realtistically think that they will be in a frenzy of excitement tomorrow night in Singapore waiting to watch Cardiff V Stoke? I wouldn't watch that if they were playing in my back garden.

The reality is that no promoted club needs to increase its ticket prices at all - soaking everyone for another £100 makes little difference to the massive spike in turnover due to tv revenue, which will in any event then be blown on paying players two or three times the going rate, and storing up huge financial problems for when relegation inevitably follows.

True. And the extra £100 or more you talk about can easily be lost on one crap managerial or player decision.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

You are missing the point about the PL worldwide - Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Manchester City need Teams like Cardiff and Stoke and even us so they can crush us all and win the trophies that create the worldwide supporters that follow them.

People watch teams worldwide on TV and follow them because they are successful thats why you now get Barca supporters in Hove even though they have never been to a match. This was happening years ago, In Scandinavia you have loads of supporters following Stoke, West Ham, Sheffield United Forest etc because they used to get The Big Match and MOTD every week transmitted there.

Whilst many are glory hunters Some people support clubs because they like the kit, like the name, individual players and in Cardiff's case because they are owned by a Malaysian.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
You are missing the point about the PL worldwide - Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Manchester City need Teams like Cardiff and Stoke and even us so they can crush us all and win the trophies that create the worldwide supporters that follow them.

People watch teams worldwide on TV and follow them because they are successful thats why you now get Barca supporters in Hove even though they have never been to a match. This was happening years ago, In Scandinavia you have loads of supporters following Stoke, West Ham, Sheffield United Forest etc because they used to get The Big Match and MOTD every week transmitted there.

Whilst many are glory hunters Some people support clubs because they like the kit, like the name, individual players and in Cardiff's case because they are owned by a Malaysian.

I don't think I'm missing the point, I think you took my post out of its context though. I was replying to a poster who wrote: "The Premier League is the most popular domestic competition in the world. Billions watch the games. Unfortunately, ticket prices reflect this..." This firstly implies that the "billions" (a false figure relying on multiple-counting of the same viewers), who watch it are interested in Premier League games in general. This is obviously false. It's no more true than were I to suggest that most people have a Brighton season ticket in order to be able to watch Doncaster or Blackpool.

The make-up of the league to an Asian or South American so-called supporter of Manchester United (or Barcelona) is utterly irrelevant. I agree there are a very few exceptions to this amongst mostly Scandinavians, but their loyalties were built up decades before the Premier League was even dreamed up.

In any case, the league's popularity bears no relation to local ticket prices. In fact, if anything, there should be an inverse relationship as the match-day income for smaller clubs is dwarfed by the TV money. Wigan Athletic's directors can explain this.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I paid up front for 2 tickets in the east but if they put them up too much I will be wanting my money back. It would already stand me at over £34 per ticket to see a premier match. I won't be wanting to pay much more, especially as so many games will be on TV, and even fewer matches will be on a Saturday afternoon.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I don't think I'm missing the point, I think you took my post out of its context though. I was replying to a poster who wrote: "The Premier League is the most popular domestic competition in the world. Billions watch the games. Unfortunately, ticket prices reflect this..." This firstly implies that the "billions" (a false figure relying on multiple-counting of the same viewers), who watch it are interested in Premier League games in general. This is obviously false. It's no more true than were I to suggest that most people have a Brighton season ticket in order to be able to watch Doncaster or Blackpool.

The make-up of the league to an Asian or South American so-called supporter of Manchester United (or Barcelona) is utterly irrelevant. I agree there are a very few exceptions to this amongst mostly Scandinavians, but their loyalties were built up decades before the Premier League was even dreamed up.

In any case, the league's popularity bears no relation to local ticket prices. In fact, if anything, there should be an inverse relationship as the match-day income for smaller clubs is dwarfed by the TV money. Wigan Athletic's directors can explain this.

I take the point but there are quite a few people around the world who watch premier football and will watch any match. I had a relative abroad that watched virtually every Italian match going and Prem matches too.

I've tried hating the prem but it has had some great seasons and this one has been particularly close at both ends. I also think its a place that once visited you don't want to be out of too long

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here