Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Today.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Back on topic...

There are two main positives for me:

1) That last 20 minutes is surely a huge confidence boost for a team that has struggled in that department the last few games. Hopefully it'll be the spark that reignites our season and performances.

2) Murray. He showed that he can still do it, what we've been missing and that he has an important role to play the rest of the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did today show how the club were wrong not to bring in a younger version of GM as a plan B or in hindsight go after McBurnie when he was available at Swansea.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Back on topic...

There are two main positives for me:

1) That last 20 minutes is surely a huge confidence boost for a team that has struggled in that department the last few games. Hopefully it'll be the spark that reignites our season and performances.

2) Murray. He showed that he can still do it, what we've been missing and that he has an important role to play the rest of the season.

I’d like to see Maupay and Murray together.......

el punal

It's because you are to bloody stupid to see who posted that rubbish.

The same poster who's inside info on every transfer news he has got wrong.
The same poster who claims to be a millionaire.
The same poster who's info is never right.

Yet thick shits like you fall for it everytime. Ffs even [MENTION=495]DAZZA[/MENTION]666 the plum has been reeled in. What is this world coming to?

You have no idea that Wedgee is a wind up merchant. Idiot.

[MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION]

:yawn:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
One aspect that that has hardly been mentioned, is that with Murray on we could go long ball. How many short goal kicks did we take? Not that many that I can recall, so there was no heart-stopping tippy-tappy in our own 6 yard box (which is where it all started to go wrong at Bournemouth).
A long goal kick with Murray on, hardly ever comes straight back. He either controls it, flicks on, forces the defender to make a defensive header instead of a free attacking one, or causes sufficient commotion that even if penalised for some dark arts, the play is still interrupted. Also defensively, he assumed the zonal middle of the 6 yard line position for corners.
Whether going long to Murray was conjured by GP just for West Ham, we will see next week. Hopefully not, as it another string to our bow. Putting a runner up with him would improve our chances further.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Did today show how the club were wrong not to bring in a younger version of GM as a plan B or in hindsight go after McBurnie when he was available at Swansea.

Who knows they didn’t try ...is there one at a certain price etc etc not sure OM would really have been a help ...there is only one Glen Murray and he is still around!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
One aspect that that has hardly been mentioned, is that with Murray on we could go long ball. How many short goal kicks did we take? Not that many that I can recall, so there was no heart-stopping tippy-tappy in our own 6 yard box (which is where it all started to go wrong at Bournemouth).
A long goal kick with Murray on, hardly ever comes straight back. He either controls it, flicks on, forces the defender to make a defensive header instead of a free attacking one, or causes sufficient commotion that even if penalised for some dark arts, the play is still interrupted. Also defensively, he assumed the zonal middle of the 6 yard line position for corners.
Whether going long to Murray was conjured by GP just for West Ham, we will see next week. Hopefully not, as it another string to our bow. Putting a runner up with him would improve our chances further.

Thought we looked awful in the first half when we went long ball. Every punt / goal kick from Ryan became 50:50 and we invariably lost possession. At half time, I was struggling to think of any meaningful contributions from Glenn.

Much better in the second half when we regained our football principles - and Glenn did his bit, looking more of threat once we had some width on the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thought we looked awful in the first half when we went long ball. Every punt / goal kick from Ryan became 50:50 and we invariably lost possession. At half time, I was struggling to think of any meaningful contributions from Glenn.

Much better in the second half when we regained our football principles - and Glenn did his bit, looking more of threat once we had some width on the pitch.

Teams are targeting us with a very high press, especially first halves, when they have the energy.

Shirley good to mix up our tactics when Ryan has the ball?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This - first half was more a confirmation for me that Maty punting it long doesn’t work very often. Key if Muzza is playing is to make sure he’s not isolated, so he has someone to lay the ball off to - so often under CH there was a massive gap between him and our 9-man defence. He’s fantastic at holding the ball up but then needs an outlet.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

We hit most of our long goal kicks in the first half. I suspect that West Ham were sitting back in the second half, protecting their lead, and not pressing us high up the pitch. Plus there were many more goal kicks in the first half.
I think you're exaggerated our ability to retain possession when we hit it long to Murray (although it's certainly better than hitting it long to Maupay or Connolly).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Teams are targeting us with a very high press, especially first halves, when they have the energy.

Shirley good to mix up our tactics when Ryan has the ball?

With you all the way. I've no problem with playing the ball out, but we really need to mix it up especially as I thought the whole point of Potter was to make us less predictable.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

That was a big negative from the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here