Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Today (Everton)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd say the main positive is that barring an f.a cup tie we've only got to play a Dyche team one more time this season.

I don't know how many times we've played against him but I genuinely can't remember a single game (in the championship or premier league) that I've enjoyed watching us play against his teams. They're just horrible, bitty, turgid, dull games to watch. Every single time.

I don't want to say his teams are anti football as I'm not a fan of the term - there are many ways to play and he's very good at his style - but they are definitely anti entertainment from my point of view.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gilmour has been pretty good imo. He’s managed to rack up at least 4 assists I can think of (maybe more I’ve missed), has been good at passing through the lines to create good opportunities. So far he’s looked the better player to me.
Gilmour is seemingly only able to pass through the lines when we’re up against a weak/open midfield. He’s not strong enough, or quick enough, to dictate play against anything else.

Last edited:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
My theory is that Gilmour works best in a CM three with pace and power, as he’s deficient in that respect. A playmaker.

I think that’s true of all our midfielders tbh. The two in midfield isn’t working that well with any of them tbh. We’ve still lost with variations of Gross/Baleba/Dahoud in a two as well.

Gilmour is seemingly only able to pass through the lines when we’re up against a weak/open midfield. He’s not strong enough, or quick enough, to dictate play against anything else.

He played the 3-1 win over Newcastle for example and they aren’t at all weak in midfield. Gilmour still has a decent return in chance/assists than the others, so I don’t see him as the issue, as much as the system.

I still maintain that it’s not just Mac and Caicedo that we miss from last season but also the fact we’ve moved to the two in midfield - people forget we had Gross in last year with them. Now we all wonder why they aren’t as solid.

The Liverpool cup game last season was a good example, Gross and Mac were a two and it was going badly till RDZ changes it and Gilmour comes on in the three and that’s when we improve. Two is just too light against most PL teams.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think that’s true of all our midfielders tbh. The two in midfield isn’t working that well with any of them tbh. We’ve still lost with variations of Gross/Baleba/Dahoud in a two as well.

He played the 3-1 win over Newcastle for example and they aren’t at all weak in midfield. Gilmour still has a decent return in chance/assists than the others, so I don’t see him as the issue, as much as the system.

I still maintain that it’s not just Mac and Caicedo that we miss from last season but also the fact we’ve moved to the two in midfield - people forget we had Gross in last year with them. Now we all wonder why they aren’t as solid.

The Liverpool cup game last season was a good example, Gross and Mac were a two and it was going badly till RDZ changes it and Gilmour comes on in the three and that’s when we improve. Two is just too light against most PL teams.

I agree, but didn’t we dominate Liverpool from the start?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here