Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from Today (Burnley)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Trafford didn't play out of his skin - he is a very good goalkeeper who is an expert at stopping shots. Once again, a team has come to the Amex and proved that with a top shot-stopper between the posts they can nick a point from us, sometimes all three.
Sometimes it will feel like they are playing out of their skin, or just inspired - but sometimes being inspired is what makes a good GK.
I respectfully disagree - he had a fabulous game against us. If he played that well during Burnley's previous matches, I very much doubt they would have lost so many.
Not that it really matters, but even the pundits singled him out for the way he played, yesterday. Man of the Match, too, I believe?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed. I’m all for looking on the bright side but this one got to me. It’s yet another 2 points squandered in a match against lesser opposition, and I seem to have mislaid my rose-tinted specs this time around. It’s all very well saying "Just remember where we were 25 years ago" but I also want to look at where we would have been had we won at home against Burnley, Sheff Utd and Fulham — in 4th place, 2 points ahead of Man City.
Or where we might have been without Estupinan, Enciso, March, Webster, Welbeck Fati, Lamptey injured, Veltman unavailable, no actually fullbacks fit so Gross, Hinch or Milner having to play there or we just have to change our tactics, and not to bring on youngsters or start them where their development is now through necessity not choice of giving them minutes.

But Col Mustard tunes in online and has misplaced his rose tinted specs, or maybe the ones that have ‘reality check?’ on the label?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Well there must have been some given the jollity among a lot of the fans in the East Stand Upper after the game. No-one seemed as peed off or frustrated as me. Convinced half the people up there aren't even proper Albion fans.
I know, we should all take a leaf out the Athens fan I stood near 🤣 As Del Boy would say, I thought he was gonna have a Connery

IMG_2955.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. I’m all for looking on the bright side but this one got to me. It’s yet another 2 points squandered in a match against lesser opposition, and I seem to have mislaid my rose-tinted specs this time around. It’s all very well saying "Just remember where we were 25 years ago" but I also want to look at where we would have been had we won at home against Burnley, Sheff Utd and Fulham — in 4th place, 2 points ahead of Man City.
Spot on.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
There isn’t a link except the results. That’s why people call them a bogey team.
What I meant was that there's no such thing as a bogey team, just arbitrary statistical anomalies. Some people actually think that past results have an impact on current/future likelihood. If there's no causal relationship, it's just random and just as easily change as stay the same. The law of averages says that any two teams of roughly similar ability (same division) playing each other fairly regularly over a period will have a spread of results. Well, except that the home side and/or the form team will have a statistically better chance. However the law of averages also says that another pair of teams will exhibit a different pattern, and one that proves the general rule. So all things being equal, if Burnley, say, had not been beaten by Brighton in 20 meetings, that gives no extra likelihood that Brighton won't win on the 21st meeting. You can flip a coin 20 times.and come up with heads every time. The 21st go will still be 50:50. The only exceptions might be if you believe in hexes or black magic. Or if the players are so superstitious that they start quaking with fear before the game and play much worse as a result.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Or where we might have been without Estupinan, Enciso, March, Webster, Welbeck Fati, Lamptey injured, Veltman unavailable, no actually fullbacks fit so Gross, Hinch or Milner having to play there or we just have to change our tactics, and not to bring on youngsters or start them where their development is now through necessity not choice of giving them minutes.

But Col Mustard tunes in online and has misplaced his rose tinted specs, or maybe the ones that have ‘reality check?’ on the label?
The 'reality' is that we should be beating relegation sides at home. I can excuse a blip, and I totally understand the injury situation of course. But to slip up against Burnley, Sheff Utd and Fulham is poor, I'm afraid. I'll say again that I'm a pretty positive person but the Burnley result just got to me. I'll shut up about it now.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The 'reality' is that we should be beating relegation sides at home. I can excuse a blip, and I totally understand the injury situation of course. But to slip up against Burnley, Sheff Utd and Fulham is poor, I'm afraid. I'll say again that I'm a pretty positive person but the Burnley result just got to me. I'll shut up about it now.
The reality is that we are now a team where relegation teams go to park the bus.
It's hard to break that down, when your main differentiator is tactical rather than personnel.

We will continue to struggle against teams standing off us and waiting to see what we ant to do about it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The reality is that we are now a team where relegation teams go to park the bus.
It's hard to break that down, when your main differentiator is tactical rather than personnel.

We will continue to struggle against teams standing off us and waiting to see what we want to do about it.
We are all waiting to see what we want/we're going to do about it!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
De Zerbi gets closer to realising the only point in playing Lallana is to see out a game from a winning position.

I appreciate we needed to rest players, but we cannot start with Milner and Lallana again.
It wasn't Lallana’s best day yesterday, but to lump the two of them together like this is a nonsense.

We play better as a side generally when Lallana plays. Twice very recently (Fulham and Sheffield U) we’ve dominated matches until he’s gone off, and then surrendered the initiative.

No arguments about Milner. He serves no purpose, and we improved massively when we replaced him with a kid.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Time for a reality check. Stop and consider the age and experience of our youngsters, and also how much this side has been assembled for.

Yes, we want to win every game. And what has been created by TB and RDZ has us expecting to win almost every game with our exciting and attacking brand of football.
But in reality we are from the same gene pool as the likes of Burnley, Sheff Utd, Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford, Palace.

Your frustration is shared by us all. We haven't failed in those games, we have played very well for most of each game but just haven't won some of them. It's not going to change.

You know that, you are always positive, and you will feel better after we beat Marseille and Arsenal this week.
(yes really, that's who we are currently rubbing shoulders with)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
See weirdly I felt quite positive afterwards in a weird way, we couldn’t have done more to win that game in the end just come up against an inspired goalkeeper, the players gave it everything at the end.

RDZ got the tactics and selection wrong from the start putting Pedro wide left and Dahoud but at the same time we are down to the bare bones, it’s just where we are at the moment squad wise, won’t have any of the Lallana bollocks.. he’s an absolute class act, we struggled to get him the ball in the first half and played with awful tempo, hence he couldn’t get in the game. Milner is fine but not with Pedro in front of him, who was utterly wasted wide left.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It wasn't Lallana’s best day yesterday, but to lump the two of them together like this is a nonsense.

We play better as a side generally when Lallana plays. Twice very recently (Fulham and Sheffield U) we’ve dominated matches until he’s gone off, and then surrendered the initiative.

No arguments about Milner. He serves no purpose, and we improved massively when we replaced him with a kid.
But it's a physical game , lalana can't run and can't tackle Milner can. We got away with Lalana when Mac and Caicedo did all the heavy work but their replacements don't do that. Lalana also slows the play. Much prefer Gross to be the orchestrator who also is slow but not as slow, can score and creates more incisive chances. All about opinions....

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
But it's a physical game , lalana can't run and can't tackle Milner can. We got away with Lalana when Mac and Caicedo did all the heavy work but their replacements don't do that. Lalana also slows the play. Much prefer Gross to be the orchestrator who also is slow but not as slow, can score and creates more incisive chances. All about opinions....
Couldn’t disagree more about Lallana, can’t run and can’t tackle.. well that’s not really his job is it? We had Baleba and Dahoud who should be doing the running and tackling, Lallana was finding pockets and some of our players couldn’t pass the parcel in the first half yesterday let alone the ball, he thrives when we play technical quick football, in the first half yesterday we did the opposite of that, it was like watching slow motion football at times.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Couldn’t disagree more about Lallana, can’t run and can’t tackle.. well that’s not really his job is it? We had Baleba and Dahoud who should be doing the running and tackling, Lallana was finding pockets and some of our players couldn’t pass the parcel in the first half yesterday let alone the ball, he thrives when we play technical quick football, in the first half yesterday we did the opposite of that, it was like watching slow motion football at times.
It's all about opinions. The problem is Baleba and Dahoud aren't good enough , the latter being more of a concern. As regards whose job well that's not how it works in a RDZ team is it , all players have to contribute the system and that includes running back and defending. Agree he can pick a god pass but so can Gross & Gilmour and the former can score.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I'm not lumping them in together necessarily.
I don't think Milner serves any purpose.

I would rather see Lallana's experience and control at the end of games rather than at the beginning.

If he can't play 90 minutes, or even 2 lots of 60 minutes in a week, I would rather he was always available to play 30 minutes when needed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I remember beating West Ham away and their fans and players for that matter saying exactly the same thing about us. It’s a ridiculous thing to say as it’s all about context not just looking at the league table.

If you actually looked that Burnley have been unfortunate but decent in many of their games, and we’ve got almost a starting XI out injured, ‘we should be beating teams like Burnley’ is a bit hollow.

We almost certainly could have beaten Burnley yesterday, and a margin here or there we would have done, but it is the PL, and you don’t pick up points for turning up.

Incredible we’re competing at the level we are, frustrating as we’re playing well enough to have secured more points, but far from getting negative or dispondent about it.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Igor looks brilliant
as does Gilmour
Train queue not too bad
Pie
Free big can of MONSTER

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It was another game where, despite the result being sub-optimal, the players seemed to care as much as the fans. Not everything goes to the script these days but I don't remember coming home from any games thinking the players hadn't given it everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here