Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone miss London Irish whilst he was gone?

View attachment 45443

Thought not.

Yeah, I enjoy his posts. OK he can be a bit abrasive but he argues his corner well and makes some interesting points even when I don't agree with what he says. I feel another NSC witch hunt brewing, shame.

Re Pompey, I think it telling that I have never seen a suggestion that we hold a fans united day for them. Maybe it's just an illusion but they seem to have got off very lightly as a club in their treatment by the authorities of their massive debts. The fact that they have continued paying over the odds for players when they were in debt and sliding down the leagues doesn't endear them to me either.

Now they are in the bottom tier, I won't be upset if they spend a few years there although it seems they will probably bounce straight back, with ease, this season.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Have you read some of the arrogant sh*t being written on here from our own fans in the last few seasons?

I don't believe you can truly tell whether any fan is arrogant at what they post, there is a lot of winding up and joking going on here.

Face to face Portsmouth have some of the most arrogant or gullible fans i have ever met. How the F**k they ever got off the 10 point deduction for the start of this season i will never know.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I don't believe you can truly tell whether any fan is arrogant at what they post, there is a lot of winding up and joking going on here.

Face to face Portsmouth have some of the most arrogant or gullible fans i have ever met. How the F**k they ever got off the 10 point deduction for the start of this season i will never know.

Getting off a 10 point deduction is not really an example of arrogance is it? I am sorry but I am not just referring to this place here, but some of our own fans in the last few seasons specifically, (and it's maybe just the younger new generation of fans) talk us up like we are a top Premier League side. "Why would Player x choose them over us" is a classic I hear over and over again.

For the record, I see Pompey as a local derby/rival too however some f our own fans do not cover themselves in glory, as is the case with a lot of teams to be quite frank. All teams have a minority of morons.

Stumpy Tim

I remember playing Pompey a couple of seasons ago, when they announced the signing of Benjani before the game, and the Pompey fans were celebrating like they had scored a goal. All the Brighton fans were asking how the hell they could afford him having just come out of admin... sure enough - back in admin soon after. So no, I don't have sympathy for them at all.

On the London Irish debate, I remember his racist views and how he ruined NSC for a long time. Shame he's back

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I just can't help thinking in 5-10 years time, they'll be doing it all over again.

For that reason I'm out.

Agreed.

I do hope their fan led model works though. As others have said, the fan ownership seen in Germany may be the best solution for several football clubs over here.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Knowing several Pompey fans they definitely had a serious case of heads in the sand, firstly happy to turn a blind eye to the repeated sh*t or bust spending, not challenging the questionable owners/financiers, the ripping off of many local businesses and continual 'oh it will be alright, the FA won't let us go out of business because we are too big and they need a Club like us etc'. Most annoyingly is the flaunting of their FA Cup win seemingly without any shame or remorse that it was bought on the backs of money they did not have and while serial bad debts were outstanding. I really don't know how they can have the gall to boast of that.

Yes they had complicated restrictions around ownership and covenants on Fratton Park which made it difficult to take the easy option and restructure the finances.

The bit that still annoys me is how painfully slow it seemed for their fans to start any sort of campaign that had a meaningful impact. Ok they now appear to have want they want but I do wonder if the underlying problems have gone away. I can remember passing a copy of 'Build a Bonfire' to my Pompey mates with the suggestion 'see what can be achieved if you get your act together' - was met with indifference.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
I try not to go through life 'hating' anyone or any thing.

Frankly, I am happy they survived, and have now taken their rightful place in the lower divisions. It was clear to all who had two brain cells that they were buying success without any plan for how to pay for it in the long term.

However, it is perhaps a bit harsh to blame all the fans for their plight. The real shysters are the successive mobsters who used Fratton as their personal willy-extender. It would be a bit like blaming the Albion fans for what that shyster (who's name escapes me) did when he flogged off the Goldstone and left you playing at Gillingham. Or the Coventry fans for what SISU fund-manager-scum have done to their club.

There are times when all **fans** have to stick together for the greater good of our game. It is our game, not the shysters in suits game.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Pompey should,at the cost to their fans in the short term,but for the greater good of football as a whole been wound up by now.

Don't get me wrong,Portsmouth are a great club,proud and with a history,apart from when we play our 2nd rivals,however,they have been mismanaged,not the fault of their support,but to keep getting away with what they have shows all of us that football has a long way to go-

Meanwhile all fans of all clubs continue to pay well over the odds for their day out and this will continue until the powers that be get to grips with clubs like Pompey.

I guess they wish to keep on hammering the fans,to line their collective pockets..

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Sorry London Irish but they have not learnt the hard way ,far from it .Their plight and what we went through is poles apart it was a totally different scenario altogether, and we certainly did not have the help of the FA .Of course their are arrogant fans at all clubs ,but can you really blame some Albion fans for being over zealous given the fact we have been the laughing stock of many clubs and fans over the years ,and in my experience pompey fans have been the first in the queue to kick us when we were down .

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Just re-read Sky's predictions for League 2 and their view of Pompey ......... Finally free of the cash problems which have seen them tumble down the divisions and almost put them out of business, Pompey should canter to the title without breaking into a sweat.

..... and then get thrashed 4-1 at home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here