Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portable Sat Navs - advise please

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can I just say how much I dislike the tomtom adverts.

"Scott, Scott....."

It's pathetic and really annoys me, I'll be boycotting buying any tomtom products until they have removed this most infurating advert from my telly.

:censored:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Gritt23 said:
Blimey, can it drive as well?

Are these features fairly standard across all the Sat Navs, or do TomTom absolutely batter the competition for some reason?

I think Garmin have actually come out tops in many user surveys. But for some reason most people use tomtom, maybe because it was one of the first on the market?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Gritt23 said:
Would it recognise "City Ground" or would I need to know the road name?

My TomTom One got me to the City Ground by using the POI section, typed in Nottingham, chose Sports Stadiums, hey ho, City Ground there we went.

Shame we lost though :down:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
magoo said:
I think Garmin have actually come out tops in many user surveys. But for some reason most people use tomtom, maybe because it was one of the first on the market?

Garmin you say?

Any idea why people prefer them? If it's something like "it's coverage of Europe is phenomenal" then it wouldn't apply to me, but if it's just so easy to use, shouts "BRAKE!" if you are heading towards a camera, and the voice sounds feckin' gorgeous, then worth knowing.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Gritt23 said:
Garmin you say?

Any idea why people prefer them? If it's something like "it's coverage of Europe is phenomenal" then it wouldn't apply to me, but if it's just so easy to use, shouts "BRAKE!" if you are heading towards a camera, and the voice sounds feckin' gorgeous, then worth knowing.

lol, i don't know. to be honest i doubt you'll go far wrong with any of them and they probably all do the same thing.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I've got Co Pilot which runs on Windows Mobile, which is also my phone.

I got the Phone and GPS Unit for free on T Mobile. I think it's £25 a month, but never really look too closely at my bills.

It's an MDA Compact II Graphite

It's pretty acurate, but it can take you slightly out of where you want to go if you use a postcode.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
you'd need a GPS ariel too

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
ROSM said:
I bought the Falmer in car sat nav, the other day. It just has maps of their back yard on a 1:1 SCALE.

If you try to go beyond Lewes it shouts out 'Go back, there's nothing to see here'. If you try and head towards brighton it warns you to 'watch out - therebe dragons'.

:clap: :lolol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've got the original TomTom and it has all the football grounds listed. It's possible I downloaded that from the website - can't remember to be honest.

Overall, a great bit of kit... brilliant when I'm driving in and out of London. It's helped me learn all the routes and still has its uses when traffic's heavy/roadworks etc. Also, it means you know which lane you need to be in round the next corner which is a massive bonus when you're driving up there.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
my mum's just bought one, will let you know what it is when I get home later as it seems good, although I haven't played about with it much.

I programmed it to get me to the nearest restaurants and it seemed accurate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here