Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portable Sat Navs - advise please

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That's it, I'm sick of it. My wife cannot read a map to save her life - and there have been times when things have got close to being that serious :angry: - and even when she is somehow directing us along roads rather than across fields (true - one awful journey in the Lake District), then she is struggling with left and right.

I can read a map fine, I'm even not bad at reading it when driving, but this time of year, it's probably also combined with the dark, then that's just gone too far.

So, my little cherubs, what should I be looking for in a Sat Nav? What's worth having and what's not, what features are the dogs wotsits, and what are a complete waste of time?

Over to you gang ......

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I have a TomTom 710, its never once let me down, in England, Scotland, Fance and Italy ..

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
I have an HP iPaq mobile messenger from Vodafone that as well as being a kick-ass phone that does email and lots of other stuff has a built-in GPS and runs the TomTom software.

Phone is about 110 quid with a contract and then another 80 for the TomTom maps, actually works out cheaper than buying a TomTom.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I use a tomtom now and again and they really come into their own when you actually get to the town or city you're going to. There are some places i've had to go that I know would have taken half an hour longer driving around and around.

No preperation either. Just tap in the postcode and off you go.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
magoo said:
I use a tomtom now and again and they really come into their own when you actually get to the town or city you're going to. There are some places i've had to go that I know would have taken half an hour longer driving around and around.

No preperation either. Just tap in the postcode and off you go.

I've never used one at all, so have no idea ..... what if you don't know the post code? What if I need directions to the City Ground, Nottingham?

Does TomTom tell you about upcoming speed cameras? Is that a feature worth having, or is it not reliable?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It may or may not be an issue to bear in mind but camera detectors are highly illegal in other main European countries. If they catch you with one, they'll impound your car, I'm told. IMHO, I'd say they should be BANNED here too.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Man of Harveys said:
It may or may not be an issue to bear in mind but camera detectors are highly illegal in other main European countries. If they catch you with one, they'll impound your car, I'm told. IMHO, I'd say they should be BANNED here too.

I think it would be useful to have a warning that the BMW in front is about to slam his brakes on.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Gritt23 said:
I've never used one at all, so have no idea ..... what if you don't know the post code? What if I need directions to the City Ground, Nottingham?

Does TomTom tell you about upcoming speed cameras? Is that a feature worth having, or is it not reliable?

I think you can tap in the road name and city etc.

They do warn of speed cameras but i wouldn't rely on it as it doesn't actually detect cameras, they are pre-programmed into the database. This database also tells you what the speed limit is but often on motorways the limits are changeable. So the satnav might say it's 70 but really it's been reduced to 50. The benefits far outweigh the negatives though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tomtom + speed camera database is well legal and very good!

Well recommended, halfords are v.cheap for tomtom's atm too

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Gritt23 said:

yes you can type anything in and it will find it the postcode is just a piss easy way of finding where you need to go

Yes it was a 'traffic hazard :)' warning function that is regally updated via the TomTom website when you dock your device to you computer..

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
REDLAND said:
yes you can type anything in and it will find it the postcode is just a piss easy way of finding where you need to go

Yes it was a 'traffic hazard :)' warning function that is regally updated via the TomTom website when you dock your device to you computer..

You "dock" your devise to a computer? Blimey, what's that then?

Do you just attach it via a USB and then what, connect to a TomTom website for updates? Do they charge for that service, or is that all part of what you have bought?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
magoo said:
I think you can tap in the road name and city etc.

Would it recognise "City Ground" or would I need to know the road name?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I bought the Falmer in car sat nav, the other day. It just has maps of their back yard on a 1:1 SCALE.

If you try to go beyond Lewes it shouts out 'Go back, there's nothing to see here'. If you try and head towards brighton it warns you to 'watch out - therebe dragons'.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Gritt23 said:
You "dock" your devise to a computer? Blimey, what's that then?

Do you just attach it via a USB and then what, connect to a TomTom website for updates? Do they charge for that service, or is that all part of what you have bought?

Yes usb via the docking station that comes with it,

you can get software updates, camera updates, map updates etc etc etc, you can back up your TomTom as well in case it fucks up..

Also if you want you can pay to get up to the minute speed camera updates, theres also a traffic jam service that will warn you about jams on your road and divert you before you hit it. You can connect it to you bluetooth phone and use it as a hands free, or plug your iPod into it to give you touch screen iPod control...

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Gritt23 said:
Would it recognise "City Ground" or would I need to know the road name?

it will give you the option of all the roads containing a 'city ground' you just select the one you want and off you go !!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
REDLAND said:
Yes usb via the docking station that comes with it,

you can get software updates, camera updates, map updates etc etc etc, you can back up your TomTom as well in case it fucks up..

Also if you want you can pay to get up to the minute speed camera updates, theres also a traffic jam service that will warn you about jams on your road and divert you before you hit it. You can connect it to you bluetooth phone and use it as a hands free, or plug your iPod into it to give you touch screen iPod control...

Blimey, can it drive as well?

Are these features fairly standard across all the Sat Navs, or do TomTom absolutely batter the competition for some reason?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
tomtom batters it all

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Gritt23 said:
Are these features fairly standard across all the Sat Navs, or do TomTom absolutely batter the competition for some reason?

I say they do, their new models *10 have the new *5 GPS units in them which is 2nd to NONE but makes them ultimately more expensive ..

You pays ya money and take ya choice !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here