Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Avram still bleating on about the 9 point penalty being so unfair, I see. And yet them winning the FA Cup (beating that other well-run club, Cardiff City) with money that wasn't theirs was (excuse the pun) entirely kosher, then?

Surely they should have to send all their loan players back for starters, as they are presumably paying their wages? Cheating çunts, I hope they disappear entirely.

Last edited:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Grant should stop bleating and be thankful they are still in business.

I understand Pompey are getting fast tracked payments to help them fufill their remaining games this season. The nine points might have meant they end up bottom and relegated but at least they got the money to survive.

I could see another club making a claim against the league if they got the money and didn't get the points deducted

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I see we've still got the usual tiresome smoke-and-mirrors over a potential new (unnamed - yawn) buyer for the club.

I mean come on, who would POSSIBLY want the headache of owning and running that complete basket-case on a one-way ticket to oblivion ? Whats the upside ? Once they finish the remainder of this season, how are they going to (a) survive the summer, or (b) if they do, prove to the Football League that they can actually continue to operate and fulfil next seasons fixtures ? If they're not wound up in the summer, I fully expect that the FL would need to see cast-iron proof that any new owner there has the cash and wherewithal to finance and run the club on an even keel before they even CONSIDER letting them play next season.

And with HMR&C playing hardball (demanding 100p in the £), someone is going to have to stump up some serious cash to get the required CVA in place.

I think the time for "unnamed businessmen" and "foreign-based consortiums" has fully run its course at Fratton. I will actually be quite surprised to see them start the season in the Championship next August

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the time for "unnamed businessmen" and "foreign-based consortiums" has fully run its course at Fratton. I will actually be quite surprised to see them start the season in the Championship next August
I'd love to agree, but sadly I think it's more likely we'll see them in the Championship being run by a crook (who passed the fit and proper test) and contesting the play off places.

And it's the very least their "long suffering" supporters deserve. :tosser: :wanker:

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I used to like Avram Grant but his constant bleating about the 9 points changed my mind about him. To top it off this morning I read his comments about how they are some kind of example to football and the Premier League should get down and kiss their webbed feet. I may have exaggerated that last part a bit! I really hope they start next season on minus 30 points a la Luton Town and with a team of hastily cobbled together kids and free transfers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd love to agree, but sadly I think it's more likely we'll see them in the Championship being run by a crook (who passed the fit and proper test) and contesting the play off places.

And it's the very least their "long suffering" supporters deserve. :tosser: :wanker:

Yeah, maybe its wishful thinking on my part.
But the running of that club has been so spectacularly catastrophic (even compared with your Leeds and Cardiffs) that I'm hopeful its going to shame the authorities into really doing something about it now. The Inland Revenue have clearly had enough now, they're not prepared to be mugged off by football clubs any more or end up getting stiffed by this "football debts get first priority" lark - they're just going for the jugular with winding up orders.

Pompey could just be the test case - the straw that finally breaks the donkeys back.

Yoda

English & European

What will be funnier, is if the court's order the PL to pay their parachute payment direct to HMRC.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
funniest thing is to see talk of a takeover by a consortium where the supposed money man wants to remain secret and the frontman is a property developer whose company currently has debts of around £26m

you couldn't make it up

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
BBC Sport - Football - Pompey allowed to sell players outside transfer window

Pompey allowed to sell players outside transfer window

Portsmouth have been given special permission by the Premier League to sell players outside of the transfer window to ease their financial crisis.

Pompey, who had nine points deducted for going into administration, can sell stars on condition they cannot play for their new club before next season.

The south-coast club have debts of about £60m and have laid off 81 staff in an attempt to cut their costs.

Pompey are bottom of the Premier League and virtually certain to be relegated.

The Premier League's decision is a turnaround after it rejected Pompey's initial plea in February.

But in a statement on Wednesday, the Premier League said it had reconsidered after a board meeting last week.

However, the Premier League has set the following conditions:

1. Players may be sold to other Premier League Clubs but may not play first team football for the new club before the end of the season.

2. Players may be sold to a Football League or foreign club, subject to Fifa's approval.

3. Portsmouth FC may enter into an agreement with another Premier League, Football League or foreign club that a player will be transferred to that other club in the summer.

More to follow.

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Anyone we can cherry pick from our neighbours?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sell to who? there was barely any transfer activity in the window, i cant see any club suddenly pulling a couple million from behind the filling cabinet to buy a player now, especially from Pompey who are rather shite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
sell to who? there was barely any transfer activity in the window, i cant see any club suddenly pulling a couple million from behind the filling cabinet to buy a player now, especially from Pompey who are rather shite.

Exactly.
Who's going to want to stump up for a player NOW that they can't use until August ? And what happens to anyone that is sold between now and the end of the season - are they withdrawn from the playing squad so they don't risk getting injured ? So you'll get someone who hasn't played for six months.

They've got a shit bunch of players, most of whom are on massive wages. Clubs wern't beating down the door at Fratton in January to sign them, so why would they bother now.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Because they would no doubt pay less than if they waited til the summer window? And might not have as much competition for players?

Wouldn't suprise me if someone snaps up David James pretty soon.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Because they would no doubt pay less than if they waited til the summer window? And might not have as much competition for players?

James surely can't move though. He needs to be playing so he can get in the world cup squad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I can't see there being any significant difference in price between signing a player from them now, or signing them in the summer. Its going to be a firesale whatever way you slice it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So they could now win the FA cup with players that arnt theres and by breaking the rules?

Any players "sold" should be banned from remaining fa cup games.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I can't see there being any significant difference in price between signing a player from them now, or signing them in the summer. Its going to be a firesale whatever way you slice it.

I guess the Adminastration means that Portsmouth have no say in the fee so the players could go for cheaper than if they were out of it in the summer

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess the Adminastration means that Portsmouth have no say in the fee so the players could go for cheaper than if they were out of it in the summer

True. But thats a pretty big IF right now, because to get their CVA, they're going to have to pay off HMR&C in full. The taxmans made no bones about it - they want 100p in the £, or they'll have them wound up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
True. But thats a pretty big IF right now, because to get their CVA, they're going to have to pay off HMR&C in full. The taxmans made no bones about it - they want 100p in the £, or they'll have them wound up.

I guess its just guess work on the buyers part. If you could pick up Belhadji for a million now im sure there would be a few takers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here