Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
they deserve all they get, they've cheated by having players they can't afford to even pay for and on inflated salaries.

Fair point regarding the club, but the non-playing staff being laid off while the players still get paid x number of thousand a week is awful.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can't see that "doing a Leeds" and appealing for the rules to be changed retrospectively, will help them.

Has David James' suggestion that the players should start a fund to help the staff made redundant been progressed? (edit: just caught up with the posts on the preceeding page - good bloke James - the administrator is a tosser)

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well apparently they've all donated some money.

But I doubt it'll have any real impact on the situation. I can believe James's offer to take a pay cut was genuine, he always seemed like a pretty decent guy.

But I bet the rest of their players won't be joining that particular queue. Especially not now they're officially in administration and they become a protected species.

Bored of the whole saga now, just another club cheating their way to success and dodging the consequences. They should be absolutely HAMMERED by the Football League next season- I mean in terms of a points deduction. Why should they be allowed to take the piss for four or five seasons recently, and then escape with a tap on the wrist from the PL in a season when they'd probably have been relegated anyway, and the chance to start afresh next time out?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
amen to that - Grant's attempt to duck the points deduction by saying it's not fair on the fans has left me fuming

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well apparently they've all donated some money.

But I doubt it'll have any real impact on the situation. I can believe James's offer to take a pay cut was genuine, he always seemed like a pretty decent guy.

But I bet the rest of their players won't be joining that particular queue. Especially not now they're officially in administration and they become a protected species.

Bored of the whole saga now, just another club cheating their way to success and dodging the consequences. They should be absolutely HAMMERED by the Football League next season- I mean in terms of a points deduction. Why should they be allowed to take the piss for four or five seasons recently, and then escape with a tap on the wrist from the PL in a season when they'd probably have been relegated anyway, and the chance to start afresh next time out?

Im not sure what you want the Premiership to do? they do the same as the FL...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Im not sure what you want the Premiership to do? they do the same as the FL...

All I meant was that losing nine points means very little to them this season as they have been so monumentally crap throughout, they would have gone down anyway in all probability. So it doesn't seem like much of a punishment. I realise there's nothing else the PL can do under their own rules.

So I'm rather hoping they don't get a CVA in place, and then the FL will have to deduct them more points for next season. Which will hit them much harder.

Does that make me mean? :D

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
All I meant was that losing nine points means very little to them this season as they have been so monumentally crap throughout, they would have gone down anyway in all probability. So it doesn't seem like much of a punishment. I realise there's nothing else the PL can do under their own rules.

So I'm rather hoping they don't get a CVA in place, and then the FL will have to deduct them more points for next season. Which will hit them much harder.

Does that make me mean? :D

No I agree.....

Sadly as with the FL if I teams already relegated what can they do if they take the hit before the cut off date?

I am sure the FL have a nice gift waiting for them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Times this morning reports that Portsmouth are considering playing deliberately weakened teams for their remaining League games. Avram Grant is an embarrassment. What a complete and utter shambles.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Times this morning reports that Portsmouth are considering playing deliberately weakened teams for their remaining League games.

compared to the quality they've been putting out upto now which had them 8 points adrift? :lolol:

actually, seriously this the sort of reason why its only a 9/10 pts penalty, it gives clubs a chance if they are up for it, keeping them competitve. they get more money based on final league position, so this will be just posturing.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
“I think the PL are embarrassed by Portsmouth and it’s not their fault — they didn’t create this situation. But I think they need to check through their rules about who can and can’t buy clubs. I’m not a judge, but I can tell you 100 per cent who did nothing wrong — the fans, the players, the people sitting at home without a job.

I have to say though, this bit is 100% spot on.

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
The Times this morning reports that Portsmouth are considering playing deliberately weakened teams for their remaining League games. Avram Grant is an embarrassment. What a complete and utter shambles.

And of course this will benefit them when it comes to the FA cup games.
I'm sure that its been mentioned on here, but getting league points deducted but still being able to compete freely in cup competitions is unfair and I am not sure why this has not addressed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If they do that, then the FL should fine them £25k per match penalty for every game they do this - payable when they exit administration.

Absolute twats.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Perhaps they will play a weakened team to avoid win bonuses (as they've paid so many already this season):laugh:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
£25K fine first game they do it: £50K second time etc etc etc - all to come out of their parachute payment before they get it

....................and the FA still have the option to withold their prize money from the cup and would probably do so if they tried to pull this stunt

....................and finally, if they persist with these type of tactics, the League (having been embarrassed previously by Leeds et al playing fast and loose with the rule book) might just decide not to accept them into membership of the Championship

Oh what fun :lolol:

As Mr Grant says "maybe we’ll make some rules that will help other clubs, because we won’t be the last.” ......................if the authorities have any sense (and backbone) they might be the last to try taking the total piss though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here