Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I'm almost tempted to place a cheeky bet on Portsmouth staying up.

If this points deduction doesn't come in this season (which wouldn't supirse me), they are currently 8 pts (and a few goals off safety). This is their run in, with my points predictions next to them.

Portsmouth v Hull, - 3 points
Portsmouth v Chelsea, - 0 points
Tottenham v Portsmouth, - 1 point
Portsmouth v Blackburn, - 3 points
Wigan v Portsmouth, - 3 points
Portsmouth v Aston Villa, - 0 points
Bolton v Portsmouth, - 3 points
Portsmouth v Wolverhampton, - 3 points
Everton v Portsmouth, - 1 point

17 points, which I think will be enough for them to stay up. My predictions are of course questionable, and could easily go the other way. But worth a cheeky bet.

Don't think many bookies are taking bets on it though.

I'll take that bet if you want. Name the odds you want me to give you, pay me whenever.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, I see Pompey are now officially in Administration so the 9 point deduction will be ratified. The Administrator chap has said he is going to challenge that, but I reckon he's wasting his time as the precedent has already been set with previous Football League cases - I doubt the authorities will respond any differently just because it is a different competition's rules.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They're getting it tomorrow.

So will it be carried over to next season if they end up with a low enough points tally to get relegated without the deduction? Hasn't a precedent been set with Leeds and Southampton on this or does the Premier League and the Championship operate different rulings?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So will it be carried over to next season if they end up with a low enough points tally to get relegated without the deduction? Hasn't a precedent been set with Leeds and Southampton on this or does the Premier League and the Championship operate different rulings?
I was under the impression that the Football League rule was that it had to be done by a certain point or it would be carried over?
It probably is different anyway since the Premier League and Football League are different bodies.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

It is difficult to know because, technically speaking, they are completely seperate organisations. If Portsmouth don't get their finances sorted by the time that the football league confirms its membership for next season, the league could refuse to accept them as a member, dock them further points, or even relegate them further (as the conference did to Boston). Portsmouth going into administration will be a test case and will probably form the example that future Premier League clubs in administration will follow.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
£1. 200/1.

In all seriousness, if I knew more about the points deduction, I'd consider it.

even without the deduction they have no hope. your predictions are hoplessly optimistic, i cant see them getting anything from any game other than the home games to hull, blackburn and wolves and maybe a cheeky result away. 10 points max and they are 8 adrift.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think I read somewhere that if they're still in Administration at the end of the season and relegated the Football League will dock them 10 points for next season as well

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
ENGLAND goalkeeper David James is leading a bid to set up a Portsmouth players’ fighting fund for the staff who this week lost their jobs.

And the Daily Express can reveal James also failed in an effort to save two Pompey workers by offering to pay their wages for the rest of the season.

So badly botched were the attempts of Portsmouth’s administrators to make cutbacks that laundry worker Mary Butcher suffered a panic attack and collapsed when she wrongly thought she had lost her job.

James offered to slash his £55,000-a-week wages, but was told that would not stop the cuts.

The administrators also turned down James’s plan to pay the £300-a-week wages of training-ground manager ‘Tug’ Wilson and kitman Clarke Denford that would have cost him about £6,000.

James, who has agreed to waive a clause in his contract worth more than £2m, is close to both Wilson and Denford but it was deemed special individual cases could not be made.

“I heard David had offered to pay my wages and that is incredible,” said 64-year-old Wilson, who had been at Portsmouth for eight and a half years.

Portsmouth’s hopes of survival were yesterday given a boost when Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs accepted the club’s move into administration.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think I read somewhere that if they're still in Administration at the end of the season and relegated the Football League will dock them 10 points for next season as well

Only if they don't come out of administration through a CVA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here