Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Spurs MASSIVE profits indicate he is not the problem

I was kidding. In response to the previous comments.

However, I do think that some blame can be apportioned to him in the cases of West Ham, Portsmouth and Southampton. He might not control the purse strings, but he should be asking questions of what he can afford and spend wisely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

However, I do think that some blame can be apportioned to him in the cases of West Ham, Portsmouth and Southampton. He might not control the purse strings, but he should be asking questions of what he can afford and spend wisely.

Is it not a case of he goes to the board and says he wants to sign player ABC who will cost x amount and want y amount of wages etc and the board do their sums and say yes or no. So no blame can be placed at his feet.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Sorry, yours was the first past I could find

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Administrator can't cancel contracts - they are a legally binding agreement. Only way to get out of them is to (partially) pay them up, persuade the person with the contract to go or for the entity which made thr agreement to cease to exist.

If a player can give notice and leave a club before his contract has run its course (like Sol Campbell at Notts County and due to employment law allowing this) can't the clubs also give players a period of notice and get rid of them in that way rather than having to pay up the entire contract or reach a compromise compensation payment?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It looks like the only place they can make real savings, as the club don't even appear to own the ground, is by cutting staff wages. That isn't as easy as it sounds, employment law would surely require contracts to be paid up or redundancy payments to be made...the figure quoted is that they have 600 members of staff, which does seem a lot to me.

I assume that figure of 600 staff would include alot of part time staff that they need to have on matchdays such as programme sellers, caterers, ticket turnstile operators, etc so it would be hard to get rid of them all.

Others in that 600 staff figure might include those in their youth set up/ academies, either coaching or young prospects for the future as well as their reserves or Ladies teams. Other clubs in trouble in the past have often abandoned these areas as cost cutting exercises. - possibly some of the first cost saving cuts that will be made? and how many more young English players may quit the game because of this?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I assume that figure of 600 staff would include alot of part time staff that they need to have on matchdays such as programme sellers, caterers, ticket turnstile operators, etc so it would be hard to get rid of them all.

Others in that 600 staff figure might include those in their youth set up/ academies, either coaching or young prospects for the future as well as their reserves or Ladies teams. Other clubs in trouble in the past have often abandoned these areas as cost cutting exercises. - possibly some of the first cost saving cuts that will be made? and how many more young English players may quit the game because of this?

If the players were any good they would find another club pretty sharpish

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Others in that 600 staff figure might include those in their youth set up/ academies, either coaching or young prospects for the future as well as their reserves or Ladies teams.

i hadnt thought of matchday staff, that would add up. but even then its a stretch to get to 600 unless its like 3-400 stewards. maybe they do, wheres the resident steward for their input?

as for contracts, i would expect it has to be paid in full if cancelled, unless the player agrees otherwise. some might go for that to move on, others who are greedy enough to be on the silly money in the first place wont. and they'll have an agent whispering in their ear to make them do what suits them best, not the player or club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Portsmouth on brink of new takeover - Telegraph

I don't understand why anyone would want to even consider touching Portsmouth with a rotten barge pole.

If you can buy them for next to nothing with their debts written off by the administration it becomes an attractive proposition. Out of them Cardiff , Southend and Palace or even Chester what would you consider the most attractive proposition.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Speaking about the expected nine-point deduction for entering administration, Mr Androniko said: "Yes, it is a Premier League rule but that rule has never been tested, and that's what I will do."

why is it that these people treat such rules like legal issues that have case law or wording loop holes? its part of the agreement to play in the league, theres nothing to test.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Can't argue with the fact that honours wise, Pompey are by far the most successful southern club outside London and, along with Southampton, potentially at least as big as Blackburn,Bolton,Wigan. And we can't be far behind those three either.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hope the points deduction is held over to next season, as they are certs to go down without having anything deducted this year.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If a player can give notice and leave a club before his contract has run its course (like Sol Campbell at Notts County and due to employment law allowing this) can't the clubs also give players a period of notice and get rid of them in that way rather than having to pay up the entire contract or reach a compromise compensation payment?

Sol Campbell would still have had to have agreement from Notts County as they would have held his registration. They obviously took the view that it wasn't worth their while to fight it as he wasn't keen to play. As it transpired, all was not rosy in the Notts County Garden.

As for cancelling contracts, these are fixed term contracts so yes the club can do that but they have to pay for the rest of the contract. It's not like most jobs were you have a period of notice written into the your employment contract.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Sol Campbell may have had a clause in his contract, in which case it is still within the terms of the contract. Or the club may have decided that they don't want to pay the wages of a disaffected player.

The contract can be terminated by either party at any time if both parties agree or decide that a parting of the ways is the best result. Hence players making it known they want to leave and thereby effectively forcing a clubs hand. The other way however, nope - a club can't just curtail a contract without paying it up.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I'm almost tempted to place a cheeky bet on Portsmouth staying up.

If this points deduction doesn't come in this season (which wouldn't supirse me), they are currently 8 pts (and a few goals off safety). This is their run in, with my points predictions next to them.

Portsmouth v Hull, - 3 points
Portsmouth v Chelsea, - 0 points
Tottenham v Portsmouth, - 1 point
Portsmouth v Blackburn, - 3 points
Wigan v Portsmouth, - 3 points
Portsmouth v Aston Villa, - 0 points
Bolton v Portsmouth, - 3 points
Portsmouth v Wolverhampton, - 3 points
Everton v Portsmouth, - 1 point

17 points, which I think will be enough for them to stay up. My predictions are of course questionable, and could easily go the other way. But worth a cheeky bet.

Don't think many bookies are taking bets on it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here