Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Think I'll phone my daughter up. She lives about 15 mins walk from Fatton, so it'll be quite easy to shout "Seagulls" while they are live on Sky.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So, it looks like the administrators will move in and try to keep the club viable, surely this will involve disposing of all saleable assets for the best price...though the transfer ban looks like scuppering any attempt to offload the players.

Where on Earth do they start?

Peter Storrie, I should think.
He'd be the first one out the door if I was the administrator.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

It looks like the only place they can make real savings, as the club don't even appear to own the ground, is by cutting staff wages. That isn't as easy as it sounds, employment law would surely require contracts to be paid up or redundancy payments to be made...the figure quoted is that they have 600 members of staff, which does seem a lot to me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I refer you to my earlier answer on the 'getting away with murder' thread.

[Accoording to SSN] The administrator has a hit-list of employees to cull. The Communications Director has already left today.

Guess who the administrator asked to WRITE the list? :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
though the transfer ban looks like scuppering any attempt to offload the players.

i got the impression from the Palarse situation that the transfer ban is automatically lifted for a club in administration. the real problem, either way, is who would want any of the Pompey players ???

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I refer you to my earlier answer on the 'getting away with murder' thread.

[Accoording to SSN] The administrator has a hit-list of employees to cull. The Communications Director has already left today.

Guess who the administrator asked to WRITE the list? :facepalm:

Storrie at number 600?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed, they'll probably shed the players, groundstaff and kit man before Storrie. They'll be fielding 9 men, in dirty kit, on an overgrown pitch, but they'll still have a seven-figure Chief Exec.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
i got the impression from the Palarse situation that the transfer ban is automatically lifted for a club in administration. the real problem, either way, is who would want any of the Pompey players ???

Fair point, I am guessing that they would just to try and offload the higher wage earners...even if that meant letting them go for free or on the cheap.

Does anyone on here have any real knowledge of employment law...if so, would the club need to be liquidated to just release the whole staff without paying off contracts or making redundancy payments?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can't just cancel contracts. I would think the first move would be to send any loan players back to their parent clubs, to save whatever wages they are paying them.

O'Hara is their only decent player, so that's a shame.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You can't just cancel contracts. I would think the first move would be to send any loan players back to their parent clubs, to save whatever wages they are paying them.

O'Hara is their only decent player, so that's a shame.

That was pretty much my thought...possibly sending their own players out on loan, which would probably need to be done with the agreement of the player concerned. That might not be as difficult as it seems, facing the alternative of being paid nothing by Pompey or earning some sort of wage elsewhere, I imagine a fair few players would be keen to leave.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Administrator can't cancel contracts - they are a legally binding agreement. Only way to get out of them is to (partially) pay them up, persuade the person with the contract to go or for the entity which made thr agreement to cease to exist.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Administrator can't cancel contracts - they are a legally binding agreement. Only way to get out of them is to (partially) pay them up, persuade the person with the contract to go or for the entity which made thr agreement to cease to exist.

That does not make any sense though does it ? The problem is over-paying players - but the one thing they can't do is stop over-paying players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That does not make any sense though does it ? The problem is over-paying players - but the one thing they can't do is stop over-paying players.

Well a contract is a contract, it can't just be torn up because someone else is now running the club. At least they can stop any new ones being given. The club will be run on a shoestring, and I'd have thought any players who's contracts are up in the summer will be released or (at best) have to accept a large paycut IF they are kept on.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I'm guessing the first step is to ASK people (players inc.) to leave.

I wonder if any of their players would get up and go for free, rather than being stuck at a shit football team, at the bottom of the league, in a shit situation.

As a free agent you can still sign for another club I believe? (if you haven't already played for X amount of teams this season)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not sure if that's the case if the someone else in question is a court appointed administrator.

Well I'd still be surprised if they could ride roughshod over signed contracts.
Any LEGAL EAGLES out there who know ?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
''Once the sale is complete, I will tender my notice to the new owners as set out under the terms of my contract. ''

I bet those terms include a HUGE payout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here