Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Barrel fo fun says it's sky's fault - I argue that if people didn't subscribe to sky there would be no demand and the clubs wouldn't have the funds (or leverage) to play with.

Of course the boards of the clubs are the guily parties - but don't blame sky for this when there is always the option for people to stop watching (and paying for) sky.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Christ up a stick, the sheer scale of mismanagement at that club almost defies belief. Maybe I've missed it, but has ANYONE actually brought Storrie to task over this, and asked him just what the hell he thought he was doing ? OK this has built up over a number of years with various owners, but Storrie has been there every step of the way as CEO, and therefore must bear a huge chunk of responsibilty for where that club finds itself now. Surely there should be some kind of corporate prosecution charge for him to answer ?

Storrie appears to be from the Harry Redknapp "not my fault guv" school of PR.

Every time something goes to shit, he's there, but somehow is never to blame. He always finds some other sucker to take the flak.

Funny then, how both him and 'Arry are facing tax evasion charges in the near future. But then I dare say that'll be someone else's responsibility too. You could stick Redknapp at the front door of a burning building with a can of petrol and a box of matches and he'd still be telling you the fire was the
fault of the people who installed the sprinkler system.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Edna, Easy - that's the crux of the problem.

Storrie, like Lowe, like Risdale is being paid colossal amounts of money to oversee a business model that an 8 year old could work out is not sustainable.

Income + Sky money = £x

Outgoings = £y

In the meantime, although the sums dont add up and we will go bust if we follow this path, you will be paid £1.4million a year to oversee this process.

What on earth do pompey fans think was going to happen.

Those inane chants of 'where has all the money gone' are frankly staggering.

It is so blatantly obvious where the money has gone. you sign all those players up, pay them massive wages on long term contracts on crowds of 20,000........

It's as if Pompey have been the victims of some complex slight of hand by the cast of Hustle.

They haven;t.

They've had the football equivalent of form 3c running the board and being paid mind bending amounts of money to f*** it up.

You don't need Einstein to work that out.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Every time something goes to shit, he's there, but somehow is never to blame. He always finds some other sucker to take the flak.

Funny then, how both him and 'Arry are facing tax evasion charges in the near future. But then I dare say that'll be someone else's responsibility too. You could stick Redknapp at the front door of a burning building with a can of petrol and a box of matches and he'd still be telling you the fire was the
fault of the people who installed the sprinkler system.

whilst not a fan of redknapp it's a bit harsh to blame him for the problems. David o Leary copped a similar level of blame when Leeds hit the skids for allegedly overspending. I might be looking at this too simply but surely the managers job is to go to the board and suggest players he wants and it is up to the board to then decide whether buying that player or offering that contract is affordable or sustainable? If harrys suggestions were outside of the reaches of the clubs finances then should the people running the club not Have put the brakes on?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Edna, Easy - that's the crux of the problem.

Storrie, like Lowe, like Risdale is being paid colossal amounts of money to oversee a business model that an 8 year old could work out is not sustainable.

Income + Sky money = £x

Outgoings = £y

In the meantime, although the sums dont add up and we will go bust if we follow this path, you will be paid £1.4million a year to oversee this process.

What on earth do pompey fans think was going to happen.

Those inane chants of 'where has all the money gone' are frankly staggering.

It is so blatantly obvious where the money has gone. you sign all those players up, pay them massive wages on long term contracts on crowds of 20,000........

It's as if Pompey have been the victims of some complex slight of hand by the cast of Hustle.

They haven;t.

They've had the football equivalent of form 3c running the board and being paid mind bending amounts of money to f*** it up.

You don't need Einstein to work that out.

Agreed, but it does get more complex, of course, as Pompey have been borrowing money against future income, in order to pay their way through. This makes it even less sustainable, of course.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the slight but fundemental difference is that Storrie has had the power to determine the expenditure, while Redknapp hasn't. if the manager asks for 40k a week for some no mark african import, thats being a chancer; if the chairman agrees to paying 40k a week for the no mark, that his responsibility.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wasn't specifically saying Redknapp is responsible for Pompey's problems, merely that he has an uncanny habit of getting out of a place just before it all goes tits up.

Funny how he just seems to know it's about to blow.

And thus escapes with minimal damage to his reputation (which can always be repaired in the eyes of the media with a chirpy Cockney soundbite anyway).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Looking like administration- and thus a cushy, debt-free start to life in the Championship next season- is the likely outcome now, as none of the consortia appear to have put their money on the table as of this morning.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I thought this was beyond administration now. They either settle with HMRC or they are toast. That's it. End of. Be a bit of a mess for the prem to expunge Pompey's record though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought this was beyond administration now. They either settle with HMRC or they are toast. That's it. End of. Be a bit of a mess for the prem to expunge Pompey's record though.

A mess, but not too tricky to do... I bet I could do it on excel in a couple of hours.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Pay Up Pompey , Pompey Pay Up. :) Will AFC Portsmouth groundshare with Havant & Waterlooville ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Over inflated wages are the main problem in football now, and this is starting to mean that more and more clubs are under threat of administration or folding.

Sky contributed to this by paying a large sum to a small number of clubs for television rights, this money was then used by clubs to bring in players on higher and higher wages to try to a) retain their place in the Premiership or b) attract better players to try to get into Europe and the extra revenues that brings.

It should have beena golden time for football clubs, making vast profits and ensuring their long term survival. However other factors has worked against this.

The Bosman case and ruling also played a part in the ever increasing wages of footballers, it made it easier for players to move for nothing between clubs when out of contract, this meant clubs tried to sign these players and used the potential transfer fee they would have paid normally to increase their top wage offer, leading to wage inflation.

It also meant that the club had to make a higher wage offer if they wanted to keep a top player whose contract was running out them, especially as there were big rewards through being in the Premiership and trying to get to Europe, This also aided wage inflation.

Player power also increased as a result and they started to demand more and more as they were 'the ones who were creating the income for the club' so therefore they felt they should receive more in wages as a reward for this. The increased TV income from Sky made it more of an issue that before Sky's Millions.

Players at top clubs suddenly found themselves earning larger and larger wages, as clubs paid more and more to retain or attract big names to their side, but the knock on effect of this was to increase wage demands in all divisions because if a Premiership football is earning £40k+ a week, would a Division 1 player be happy being paid a few hundred pounds a week or would they feel that if player x is worth 40k a week, they are worth a couple of grand a week.

The other knock on effect of the wage inflation is that clubs have overstretched themselves (as we see now) but this means that almost all their income goes on paying wages, and there is little or nothing left for transfer fees. This has therefore limited the opportunities of smaller clubs to sell players on as they would have done in the past and were often a vital source of income to keep that club alive, money is no longer moving between clubs in fees and every transfer window, there are fewer and fewer transfer fee moves.

Lower league clubs used to survive on transfer fees, clubs like Crewe, but with cheap top flight transfers from abroad vs unproven lower league players, the top clubs are also unprepared to take risks as the financial implications of losing their top flight status are so massive.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with a lot of that Mr Fawkes, but I think your most salient point in all of that is the Bosman factor.

Its not so much the Sky money going into the game that has monstrously inflated wages (although that is still a factor of course). Its the fact that as soon as that Bosman ruling came in, clubs suddenly started using the millions on what they WOULD have spent on a transfer fee for a player, to instead pour that money more or less straight into that players (and his agents) pockets. Which in turn led to existing players at the clubs getting huge increases in their contracts, in line with the new signings.

Not hard to see how this has all spiralled out of control for so many clubs now.
Its the Greed Is Good league, and its aaaalll coming home to roost now.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Bournemouth, West Ham, Saints, Pompey - all found themselves in desperate financial trouble sometime after Harry Redknapp had managed them. Entirely coincidental i'm sure. . . .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bournemouth, West Ham, Saints, Pompey - all found themselves in desperate financial trouble sometime after Harry Redknapp had managed them. Entirely coincidental i'm sure. . . .

But not Spurs who it appears have a Chairman/CEO who controls the purse strings perhaps that is where the lesson should be learnt.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I have been misinterpreted. I was not solely blaming Sky. I was blaming a number of candidates whom have contributed to the current situation.

I think we all agree that a lot of under qualified , over hyped individuals (footballers and board members) have led clubs towards the abyss. Fans have a choice in this and seem to have been almost equally culpable by not asking basic questions of their boards. (Happy to have the good times oblivious of the consquences).

It's a double ended shitty stick - clubs will have to pay one way or another and it's high time this started to shake out.

We are very lucky to have Mr Bloom on our team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here