Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I really don't understand your point. We are talking about Palace as compared to Pompey here. Palace sold Moses in the window because they needed the funds. Portsmouth needed the funds but rather than have a firesale in the window they are now hoping to garner higher fees due to the exclusivity of being the only seller in the market. It stinks if they get permission to do it; how much has changed in the last 3 weeks?

The ORIGINAL point was blaming the Premier League for the Transfer Window when in fact it's not down to them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
if they go bust what happens

It'll change the positions of several clubs and Saints fans will piss themselves laughing. On the up side it might make other clubs rethink the way they operate but I rather doubt it.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
It'll change the positions of several clubs and Saints fans will piss themselves laughing. On the up side it might make other clubs rethink the way they operate but I rather doubt it.

what about the league..only one to go down from league 2???

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
It should herald the end of the silly transfer window rule, hopefully.

I hate the Premiership for all it has done to English football. Why couldn't we (Palace) have been allowed to hang on to Moses and sell him now instead of having to rush to get him sold before the window closed?

Disgraceful to change the rules to help a "bigger" club.

I'm with you on your argument but did Palarse actually ask, I guess they didn't. We all know what the answer would have been. The whole situation is starting to stink a bit :angry: they seem to be bending over backwards for Pompey

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Portsmouth needed the funds but rather than have a firesale in the window they are now hoping to garner higher fees due to the exclusivity of being the only seller in the market.

i think it will be a firesale regardless. the reasons for not selling in the window where because they had heads in the sand over their situation and no bugger wanted them, certainly not on the reputed wages.

i think it will be a firesale regardless. the reasons for not selling in the window where because they had heads in the sand over their situation and no bugger wanted them, certainly not on the reputed wages.

I agree, but there is a definite advantage to being the only club selling players IF they are allowed to play this season. It seems pretty clear that the financial statement that they submitted the other day puts them as trading insolvently, and they are desperately hoping to garner some excessive fees to adjust that position.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'm with you on your argument but did Palarse actually ask, I guess they didn't. We all know what the answer would have been. The whole situation is starting to stink a bit :angry: they seem to be bending over backwards for Pompey
The Prem will do whatever it can to stop Pompey going out of business mid-season because it reflects badly on them. Thought I read in one of the reports that although it's down to the Premier League to decide whether Pompey can sell outside the window they may have to get a unanimous vote from the rest of the clubs in the Prem to allow it to happen. Is that really likely?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They may be able to sell players o/s the transfer window, but in no way should those players play for their new club. Kind of loaned back to Pompey.

Like a cash upfront thing and I cant see other clubs wanting to do that incase they get injured.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Thought I read in one of the reports that although it's down to the Premier League to decide whether Pompey can sell outside the window

as already said, the window is a FIFA imposed rule. maybe once they have agreed their would need to be a round of consultation with the other PL teams, but id' have thoguht they'd all have agreed in principle before the PL approaches the FA/UEFA/FIFA formally. (yes, it have to go through each governing body too)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think people here have got this all wrong, thinking that Pompey as exclusive sellers will get premium prices for their assets.

If things pan out as they should, and the rules are upheld preventing any of these players from registering for another club, then exactly the opposite would be the case - i.e. clubs will offer to buy said player on the cheap now, as they can't use them this season.

Buying Club; "Hi, is that Peter Storrie? Can we buy Belhadj, please?"

Peter Storrie "Certainly. That will be 15 million pounds please"

BC "Sorry mate. Given that we can't actually play the chap until next year, we'll offer you 3 million"

PS "3 million? ARe you taking the piss?"

BC "Frankly Peter, yes, yes we are, but you're not really in a position to argue"

PS "S'pose. Okay 3 million it is then. Can we borrow him back until the end of the season?"

BC "You can if we make it 2.5"

PS "Oh, for fucks sake."

etc, etc...

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
I think people here have got this all wrong, thinking that Pompey as exclusive sellers will get premium prices for their assets.

If things pan out as they should, and the rules are upheld preventing any of these players from registering for another club, then exactly the opposite would be the case - i.e. clubs will offer to buy said player on the cheap now, as they can't use them this season.

Buying Club; "Hi, is that Peter Storrie? Can we buy Belhadj, please?"

Peter Storrie "Certainly. That will be 15 million pounds please"

BC "Sorry mate. Given that we can't actually play the chap until next year, we'll offer you 3 million"

PS "3 million? ARe you taking the piss?"

BC "Frankly Peter, yes, yes we are, but you're not really in a position to argue"

PS "S'pose. Okay 3 million it is then. Can we borrow him back until the end of the season?"

BC "You can if we make it 2.5"

PS "Oh, for fucks sake."

etc, etc...

Excellent, but I think their phone has been cut off.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Why are the PL doing everything possible, they got themselves in this mess , they can get themselves out within the rules.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why are the PL doing everything possible, they got themselves in this mess , they can get themselves out within the rules.

Thats an interesting view. People seem to have a go at The FA and League for not helping and now the Premiership is trying to help they get slaughterd for it

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

a) it doesnt look good if a PL team goes to the wall.
b) it fucks up alot of other teams if they have to wipe the games played.
c) they arent really doing anything, just pussy footing about hoping someone buys the club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
a) it doesnt look good if a PL team goes to the wall.
b) it fucks up alot of other teams if they have to wipe the games played.
c) they arent really doing anything, just pussy footing about hoping someone buys the club.

Exactly.
The main thing being that if Pompey go bust, then it reflects badly on the FAPL's "brand".
Far better if they contrive to allow Pompey to somehow limp on till May when they're relegated, then overnight it ceases to be Scudamores problem and he can forget all about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here