Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The only way Pompey can get rid of players is to tear up their contracts and make them free agents. Transfers are ok then aren`t they ?

No good to Pompey though if they are free agents as they dont get a fee for them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The only way Pompey can get rid of players is to tear up their contracts and make them free agents. Transfers are ok then aren`t they ?

No good to Pompey though if they are free agents as they dont get a fee for them.

Would get them off the wage bill I guess, but they're looking for big fees I presume.

I'm starting to think that perhaps they really are up shit creek. I mean, I know they've moaned about it for ages, but then so do lots of clubs, and they never, ever go bust unless they've already dropped out of the Football League. I assumed Pompey are the same, but they are starting to look particularly desperate. The debts are so high, they don't seem to be an attractive proposition for any buyer, they have little prospect of developing that ground or building a new one, so they never make much money, and even without that, they'll almost inevitably be in the Championship next season.

What odds on Portsmouth City FC springing up in a non-league ground near you by 2012?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Westwood is going to need some funds to alter the names of his tattoos if they are forced to reform.

I am thinking that too many powerful men have too much money to lose to let them go bust, so they will get their reprieve.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Westwood is going to need some funds to alter the names of his tattoos if they are forced to reform.

I am thinking that too many powerful men have too much money to lose to let them go bust, so they will get their reprieve.

Their Supporters Trust has already looked at the possibility of starting a new club - AFC Portsmouth - should they go bust. Unfortunately they would have to start at the bottom of the Zamaretto Hampshire League South which is five divisions below the Blue Square South.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Astounding that our national broadcaster sent everyone down to Portsmouth and did a live 2hr programme discussing their plight this evening.As if there is somehow a national emergency that some 2 bit regional sports club is a bit tight for cash! This is already happening at Palace (and elsewhere)but I don't recall 5Live going out from there.
How can we be expected to sympathise in this Premcentric environment?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
According to the BBC, FIFA are looking favourably at letting Pompey sell their players between now and the ens of the season. What an absolute disgrace if this happens, one bleeding law for the Premiershit, one for everybody else.

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
It should herald the end of the silly transfer window rule, hopefully.

I hate the Premiership for all it has done to English football. Why couldn't we (Palace) have been allowed to hang on to Moses and sell him now instead of having to rush to get him sold before the window closed?

Disgraceful to change the rules to help a "bigger" club.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
According to the BBC, FIFA are looking favourably at letting Pompey sell their players between now and the ens of the season. What an absolute disgrace if this happens, one bleeding law for the Premiershit, one for everybody else.

I heard that on Five Live... crazy. They did say that the Premier League may not agree to it though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I hate the Premiership for all it has done to English football. Why couldn't we (Palace) have been allowed to hang on to Moses and sell him now instead of having to rush to get him sold before the window closed?

Totally agree. Why should you be forced to adhere to the rules, whereas Pompey can ignore the transfer window and then have a car boot sale on their own a few weeks later?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Well like a lot of football rules it was supposed to help football and make it "fairer", but as you say has had a completely opposite effect.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

The Transfer Window is from FIFA not the Prem. You could ask why Palace didn't try to live within their means first.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But what were the great problems in football before the TW rule came in?

It was one of those things to make clubs plan and think about signing players rather than simply (for instance) snapping up players at the end of the season to stop relegation.

A side effect has been the loan system being used far more extensively, and teams offloading players for less than their worth.

I think there has to be some control over when and how transfers take place but I'm not sure the current system is working.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What has Palace living within their means got to do with it?

My post was to do with Pompey being treated differently.

You seem to think that the actions of the Premier League meant that Palace didn't get as mich as they wanted for Moses. Two things, as I said, the transfer windows is a FIFA rule not the Prem. The other thing is that had Palace's finanaces been in better shape they wouldn't have been in a hurry to sell Moses if at all. The fact that they are in administration meant that they needed to sell him but who's fault is that ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But the thing is, there are no rules stopping Portsmouth selling their players now. The only issue is that they won't be able to register with the new club until the summer, so they're asking clubs to buy a player they can't use til next season.

Even if fifa say no, Pompey can still sell their players, they just might have to find some generous buyers, or work out some other sort of deal.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If that happens some clubs should challenge it in the courts, you cannot have a rule for all clubs then suddenly change it for one club. Restraint of trade and all that

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
You seem to think that the actions of the Premier League meant that Palace didn't get as mich as they wanted for Moses. Two things, as I said, the transfer windows is a FIFA rule not the Prem. The other thing is that had Palace's finanaces been in better shape they wouldn't have been in a hurry to sell Moses if at all. The fact that they are in administration meant that they needed to sell him but who's fault is that ?

There are other Palace-bashing mishandled-finances threads on here, but anyway...

The point was, if only we had been told in January that we could have the same deal re selling players that Portsmouth have been handed, we could have kept him, and possibly got more for him later.

That's it. Am I wrong?

I really don't understand your point. We are talking about Palace as compared to Pompey here. Palace sold Moses in the window because they needed the funds. Portsmouth needed the funds but rather than have a firesale in the window they are now hoping to garner higher fees due to the exclusivity of being the only seller in the market. It stinks if they get permission to do it; how much has changed in the last 3 weeks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here