Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Why don't the FA, Football League and Premier League allow the Transfer Window to be reopened until, say, the end of March? That way every club has the same opportunity to buy and sell.

As an accountant I can't believe Pompey didn't sell ALL of their top players in the last window - they couldn't afford the wages as it was.

It looks as though they've sold enough to raise some cash / offset transfer fees owed whilst keeping enough quality to give them a small chance of survival. This is a massive gamble and totally unethical. They have an obligation to pay their taxes and pay their other creditors, many of whom are small operators, i.e. caterers, programme printers, stewards, St.John's Ambulance etc.

The team now should be a mixture of youth players and anyone willing to pay for peanuts just to be in the shop window for 5 months. If they had offloaded James, Belhadj, Boateng, Dioup, Hreidarsson, Dindane, Kanu et al the tax would be paid AND the wage bill might be vaguely manageable.

Where else in business could you get away with non-payment of creditors on the basis of a gamble, in this case Premiership survival? Non-payment could put other businesses in financial distress.

The point's also been made about the ignominy of having a Premiership club fold or enter administration. The authorities should have acted sooner and the 'fit and proper' test has been proved to be a total shambles.

Great post.
Just think that the EPL have to be seen to be doing everything they can to help out one of their teams in distress and the belated cry for help may, rightly or wrongly, be heeded.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rules without teeth are about as useful as a British skier in the Winter Olympics. The 'fit and proper' test was really an arrangement driven by the clubs who didn't want any fuss and the Premier League who felt they had to do something.

I prefer to see it less of a test and more of an aspiration, a bit like the "Respect Campaign". Calls for government intervention in football are timely, if nothing else because they elicit a response from MPs to further publicise the debacle of the running of the game at the top.

As for Pompey, if they can't do the right thing by selling and starting again then let them slide down a division or two until they are compelled to sell the players that they should have sold already.

One other point that occurs to me is if they ARE going to get relegated then why not give the youth and reserve players the invaluable experience of playing at the top level now to help their development.

Even if they lose 5-0 every week in the long run if they get 4 or 5 battle-hardened players out of it they will have done OK.

In some ways the Premier League is a victim of it's own success, i.e. so lucrative and wealthy that eventually clubs bankrupt themselves trying to stay in and, potentially, bringing down the edifice with them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If the Premier league are helping Portsmouth so what? People are quick enough to have a pop at the league for not helping clubs.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If it was a matter of limping through to the end of the season they could loan the players out now and massively cut the wage bill but they need so much more because they are continuing to trade whilst insolvent and that SHOULD catch up with them sooner rather than later. That they should have sold the players before the transfer deadline when they could have done so and potentially return to solvency is both morally reprehensible and borderline illegal.

Sorry, no sympathy for them and still less for the premiership which has encouraged them to continue beyond their ability to trade within acceptable perameters.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Question being would they help them if they weren't a Premier League side?

Probably not I would think. Luton got totally f***ed.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | L | Luton | Luton to face 30-point deduction

Can't see anything like that happening to Pompey.

Surely thats The Football leagues job not Premier League, two different Bodies

Psychobilly freakout
Quote:
Originally Posted by severnside gull View Post
that's not tough at all...........lesser clubs are allowed to go to the wall when they are run irresponsibly. Let Pompey go bust!
I feel for the real football fans in general and would not like to see any club fold. However im sick of premiership teams thinking they can bend or completely disregard the rules just because, and Portsmouth are taking the piss, im just sick of them. Its time someone fell...............

Surely thats a a problem the football league need to address, if the Football league where willing to help clubs out as much as the premier league seem to want to help portsmouth maybe some of those clubs wouldnt have gone bust.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely thats a a problem the football league need to address, if the Football league where willing to help clubs out as much as the premier league seem to want to help portsmouth maybe some of those clubs wouldnt have gone bust.
Or maybe the Premier League ought to address the fact that despite recently signing a £1.3 BILLION telvision deal with Sky, that only one team in the top flight actually trades in the black. Burnley.

That is totally shocking and completely unsustainable, and something needs to be done about it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Shouldn't matter.

Not it shouldnt, The football league shouldnt be so unhelpful when it comes to helping clubs. Saying that Im not sure Luton should have signed players like Chris Perry when they clearly couldnt afford them.

By the way I f***ing hate Portsmouth

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why don't the FA, Football League and Premier League allow the Transfer Window to be reopened until, say, the end of March? That way every club has the same opportunity to buy and sell..

transfer window is a UEFA/FIFA rule iirc.

also, i think one point to note is they aren't facing administration but straight to winding up. the receiver will be appointed, not to run as a going concern and find a buyer, but to sell off all assets for the most possible then they will be closed down.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or maybe the Premier League ought to address the fact that despite recently signing a £1.3 BILLION telvision deal with Sky, that only one team in the top flight actually trades in the black. Burnley.

That is totally shocking and completely unsustainable, and something needs to be done about it.

Spurs and Arsenal made profit last year I believe (or the year before?)

Im sure the same could be said about the football league and its deal because of the lower wages, Im not sure why any club should me massively in debt.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....

The only way this will be resolved is if the rules are changed and that every club must trade within their means and not make a loss or profit every season which is not going to happen.

Personally a football club is a business and if it's run into the ground and becomes insolvent, then so be it. The club disappears and gets replaced by those clubs that run a tight ship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem being that Pompey selling players is not the end og the story as it is only the clubs with the resources who could buy those players eg David James to be sold Man City could afford him but could Bolton. I know that this happens in the normal transfer window but it becomes an extra chance for those with the ability to pay £5m immediately as opposed to over a period of time as most clubs do now, thus giving those clubs an unfair advantage.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As far as I can see it would be a total and utter piss-take if Pompey were allowed dispensation to sell their players now. They knew perfectly well when the transfer window was, and they could easily have notified other clubs that their players were all on the market, but they failed to do so, perhaps out of some misguided attempt to convince their Great Fans that all was under control.

Even if they had to sell them on the cheap- well so be it, plenty of other clubs have had what amounted to fire sales, where players went for much less than their true market value. They must have known at that point how bad a financial state they were in- we're only talking two and a half weeks ago so things can't have changed much in that time.

It all sounds like a scam to avoid administration and persuade their Great Fans that their dire position is down to outside forces and not their own gross mismanagement- the FA, UEFA, the Premier League etc.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I would have thought it could be allowed, as long as the "new club" isn't allowed to play their new signings until next season. So, they could do a sale and loan back deal now to generate some funds, but I wouldn't have thought you could allow teams to strengthen at this stage, just to get Pompey out of the brown stuff.

Then again, I also think teh EPL will do anything to prevent one of their teams going into administration (or worse) until they have already been relegated from the Gravy Train.

So why would a team buy a player now if they were then unable to play them until next season, as it would mean paying wages to a player on their books that they are unable to use, something which makes no business sense at all.

Also if Pompey were to go bust, clubs could potentially get those players free or cheaply anyway so transfer fees now wouldn't be that big and may not be enough to cover the HMRC bill anyway. Arn't players are released from their contracts if the club folds? or at least after a period of time if they are unpaid.

I think that they shouldn't change the rules regarding transfer windows just to save a club like Pompey as they play in the top division unless if they are unprepared to do the same for the rest of the teams in this country when they are in trouble, teams like Luton or Chester in recent seasons.

Let them go. Tell them to f off and watch the club fold. I feel very very sorry for the fans but each and every one of the owners Pompey have had for the past 5 years has turned out to be a complete scumbag only in it for his own pocket, and somewhere a line has to be drawn in the sand. They are trading insolvently and accruing more and more debts which they have absolutely no hope of paying once they are relegated.

As others have said, the window closed less than 3 weeks ago. The writing was on the wall, but for whatever reason the management didn't do the decent thing and have a fire sale; I can only assume it's because they know that they don't stand a hope in hell of being even close to being solvent in the Championship. What a mess.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Frankly if Pompey were allowed to get away with selling a player and then having him back on loan for the rest of the season, it would make a mockery the rules, it really would.

Sorry, but the owners of that club know nothing now that they didn't know in January, therefore they can go sing for it as far as I'm concerned, and deal with the administration penalty like every other club in their position has done.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe THIS is why the FA are so blatantly attempting to protect their Premier League reputations: shit or bust for Pompey?

(from the BBC website)

Meanwhile, a financial expert says Portsmouth face a very real threat of extinction because of their financial problems and he believes administration is an unlikely option.

"Arguably, the level of debt associated with this case will mean that it is unlikely that a suitable or willing benefactor will be found," said Simon Wilson, a partner with restructuring experts Zolfo Cooper.

To continue to underwrite the club would most likely result in greater losses at a later date

"Portsmouth therefore face the very real threat of liquidation because it is increasingly unlikely that an administration order will be sought or granted.

"In this eventuality, the players' contracts are no longer assets of the club and it would lose its membership of the Premier League.

"The role of the liquidator would be to realise whatever free and available assets still remain.

"The value of these assets would be nominal. While the unsecured creditors, including HMRC, would likely see no return from such a process, it is not in their interests to continue to support a business that is simply not viable and has no financial substance.

"To continue to underwrite the club would most likely result in greater losses at a later date. This would be an unprecedented case in the realms of the Premier League and would throw light on the fact that clubs can no longer rely on 'white knights' to rescue them from financial ruin.

"Many football clubs have allowed their levels of debt to grow to immense proportions. These debts cannot be serviced and investors simply don't have the appetite or ability to take on such poor business propositions."

Interesting about them potentially losing their membership of the Premier League. What if the Football League refused to take them? :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone want one of THESE, by the way? :lolol:
creditcards2.jpg

Those, and much more great financial advice can be found via Pompey's website on http://www.pfcfinancialservices.co.uk/creditcards/

You couldn't make it up, could you?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The fact is Portsmouth now want a special dispensation to sell their players with immediate affect. OK that's all nice and dandy but from what I've read these players values are already mortgaged topped by the fact Portsmouth will expect clubs to pay in full for these players. Something they themselves haven't done hence why they are in the shit. Its about time clubs like these and Leeds et al are really taken to task and closed down. The fans will suffer. Will they? The phoenix can rise ask Aldershot. AFC Wimbledon are not far off from the roots of their first existence. If Pompey fans are that proud and supportive of their club they too will support and follow a "lesser" team until again it gets promoted to the league.

As for transfers from now on it should be a stipulation that any transfer should be paid up front and if there's extra to be paid due to sell on's or appearances then each such transfer should be sanction by the FA and legal guarantee's in place for the future payment. It would also be easy to introduce a standard for transfers whereby regulated payable fees such as for agents etc are laid down and transparent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here