Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey seem to be in a tad of bother

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Of course it shouldn't be allowed. It hands the buying club(s) an unfair advantage in bolstering their squads for the run-in when everyone else has had to conclude their business on Feb 1st. I can't see the FAPL sanctioning it.

Mind you, the story is on Sky Sports, so it could well be bollocks anyway.

Didn't we do this with the sale of Mark Beeney. I think it was allowed on the proviso that he didn't play in any games for his new club (Leeds?) that could affect promotion or relegation issues. Something like that.

I would have thought it could be allowed, as long as the "new club" isn't allowed to play their new signings until next season. So, they could do a sale and loan back deal now to generate some funds, but I wouldn't have thought you could allow teams to strengthen at this stage, just to get Pompey out of the brown stuff.

Then again, I also think teh EPL will do anything to prevent one of their teams going into administration (or worse) until they have already been relegated from the Gravy Train.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How will signing portsmouth players help anyone?

Its a tough one. Let a club fold or sell players outside the window

Well, how much signing a Pompey player would help anyone else is open to debate I suppose, but they've got a few players who could still "do a job" for someone I'm sure.

Let them fold. They put themselves in this mess, why should they be allowed to break the rules that everyone else has to abide by, just so their debt-ridden arses can limp on for another few months.

Administration and minus 9 NOW please.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't we do this with the sale of Mark Beeney. I think it was allowed on the proviso that he didn't play in any games for his new club (Leeds?) that could affect promotion or relegation issues. Something like that.

I would have thought it could be allowed, as long as the "new club" isn't allowed to play their new signings until next season. So, they could do a sale and loan back deal now to generate some funds, but I wouldn't have thought you could allow teams to strengthen at this stage, just to get Pompey out of the brown stuff.

Then again, I also think teh EPL will do anything to prevent one of their teams going into administration (or worse) until they have already been relegated from the Gravy Train.

I remember the sale of Beeney (£400k ?), which I was quite gutted about at the time.
Don't recall it being outside of any transfer windows/deadlines though, I thought it was just a standard deal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well, how much signing a Pompey player would help anyone else is open to debate I suppose, but they've got a few players who could still "do a job" for someone I'm sure.

Let them fold. They put themselves in this mess, why should they be allowed to break the rules that everyone else has to abide by, just so their debt-ridden arses can limp on for another few months.

Administration and minus 9 NOW please.

What about if they were told they can sell but have to accept relegation because of it?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The two players they want to sell would not be able to play for their new sides this season.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
that's not tough at all...........lesser clubs are allowed to go to the wall when they are run irresponsibly. Let Pompey go bust!

I feel for the real football fans in general and would not like to see any club fold. However im sick of premiership teams thinking they can bend or completely disregard the rules just because, and Portsmouth are taking the piss, im just sick of them. Its time someone fell............... :rant:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
they could do a sale and loan back deal now to generate some funds

Wouldn't be suprised if this happens. The league seem to be doing all they can to stop them from going out of business.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I remember the sale of Beeney (£400k ?), which I was quite gutted about at the time.
Don't recall it being outside of any transfer windows/deadlines though, I thought it was just a standard deal.

I wouldn't bet my left bollock on it, but I do seem to remember something about him being unable to play in games affecting relegation or promotion. I guess it could have been the other way round with us buying him from Maidstone outside the window to try to save them. There is something involving Beeney though, rattling around in the darker corners of my memory banks.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Mark Beeney was sold on 22nd April 1993. That MUST have been after the window shut.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Was there a transfer window when Beeney was sold - I thought it came about later than that ?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Mark Beeney was sold on 22nd April 1993. That MUST have been after the window shut.

Was there a transfer window in those days? I didn't think there was anything dodgy about the sale apart from whether Leeds really needed another goalkeeper at that particular time when, if I recall correctly, Lukic wasn't injured...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There was still a transfer deadline day back then wasn't there, it just wasn't a months "window" like it is now.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There was no transfer window - just a date by when transfers had to be made 'Transfer Deadline Day' I think it was called in those days.

Don't know when that was.

Howard Wilkinson did us a MASSIVE favour!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why don't the FA, Football League and Premier League allow the Transfer Window to be reopened until, say, the end of March? That way every club has the same opportunity to buy and sell.

As an accountant I can't believe Pompey didn't sell ALL of their top players in the last window - they couldn't afford the wages as it was.

It looks as though they've sold enough to raise some cash / offset transfer fees owed whilst keeping enough quality to give them a small chance of survival. This is a massive gamble and totally unethical. They have an obligation to pay their taxes and pay their other creditors, many of whom are small operators, i.e. caterers, programme printers, stewards, St.John's Ambulance etc.

The team now should be a mixture of youth players and anyone willing to pay for peanuts just to be in the shop window for 5 months. If they had offloaded James, Belhadj, Boateng, Dioup, Hreidarsson, Dindane, Kanu et al the tax would be paid AND the wage bill might be vaguely manageable.

Where else in business could you get away with non-payment of creditors on the basis of a gamble, in this case Premiership survival? Non-payment could put other businesses in financial distress.

The point's also been made about the ignominy of having a Premiership club fold or enter administration. The authorities should have acted sooner and the 'fit and proper' test has been proved to be a total shambles.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
More owners than home wins this season! Whatever they do it probably won't be enough! Would be so funny to see that bloke with the hat with no club to support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here