Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pompey Bloke John Westwood Going Viral Today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Agree that bookshops need our support; even more important though is supporting your local library. We don’t need to own books when you think about it, read them and move them on. A poll of library card holders on NSC, would, I fear, reveal that few on here are active members.

I rejoined library service two years ago. Not only do I use them but discovered an amazing world that’s changed beyond the service I once new! Nice social hub and mine serves lovely coffee for only £1.20 too! I work out of it sometimes, use like a hot desk!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Agree that bookshops need our support; even more important though is supporting your local library. We don’t need to own books when you think about it, read them and move them on. A poll of library card holders on NSC, would, I fear, reveal that few on here are active members.

I'm a very active library user. I read loads and love the facility Brighton & Hove libraries have to reserve a book online and have it dropped off for collection at the library of your choosing. Few years ago Hove library was threatening with closure. Obviously most people thought it was a terrible idea and what a shame etc etc but I realised what would help keep it open? Using it! So ever since I've been using the library service. Can't praise it enough. Bloody brilliant.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Anyone use Hive.co.uk that is run by Gardners Books of Eastbourne? A percentage of all their sales goes to the independent bookshop nearest to you or to the one you choose. They started it in 2011 to give independents easier access to ebook sales, which I thought was a really good idea. Not sure how successful it has been but I see it is still going.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Do you guys have history with Pompey then ?

Just seen the term twats used on several occasions.

Only down to locality. Just a portion of fans think they're twats.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
who have thought that fella was a bookseller in the day job?

I'm fukken stunned. I had him down as dole scum, or at best a supply bin man. Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover (sorry). Good on him, apart from match day in which case I hope he's goes home having seen his team lose.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Do you guys have history with Pompey then ?

Just seen the term twats used on several occasions.

A lot of fans on here would say they’ve seen far more trouble at Albion vs Portsmouth games than at Albion vs Palace.

I’ve seen their fans act like twats when we’ve beaten them. Think that’s about 3 in a row now.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I use to run a village shop and Post Office in East Tisted, near Petersfield. He often use to pop in asking if we could put up posters for his book shop, he use to buy second hand books for resale. Despite appearances he is a really nice bloke just goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Started laughing as I thought it was somebody who looked like him, before realising it is actually him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sebag-Monteforte? (Last Man Standing?)

No - its just called 'Dunkirk' and came out off the back of the film. But it delves into the full background, build-up and how it all unfolded with maps and shit, which is what I wanted.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Is it not a noted fact that bookshops are on the wane, as are books, because many readers do so via e readers. Just a sign of the times and progression.

I think people are going back to books.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No - its just called 'Dunkirk' and came out off the back of the film. But it delves into the full background, build-up and how it all unfolded with maps and shit, which is what I wanted.

Ah, Josh Levine I believe. Download audiobook John Lukas 5 days in May next if you liked. My favourite of entire ww2 histories.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rubbish! E-books have made printed books more popular.

I don’t like kindles or similar. I prefer to have a book, glance back through pages to remind myself of the plot, and who said what to whom, as you see the story unfold.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I don’t like kindles or similar. I prefer to have a book, glance back through pages to remind myself of the plot, and who said what to whom, as you see the story unfold.

I think e-books have a place, great for students, people working away from home, but they will never replace printed, bound books

Interesting that children in primary schools are enthralled by books, stories and writing their own tales in notebooks.

Weird isn't it, all these tablets, iphones, yet paper notebooks are all the rage!

As you say, easier to refer back to ... and no batteries :smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think e-books have a place, great for students, people working away from home, but they will never replace printed, bound books

Interesting that children in primary schools are enthralled by books, stories and writing their own tales in notebooks.

Weird isn't it, all these tablets, iphones, yet paper notebooks are all the rage!

As you say, easier to refer back to ... and no batteries :smile:

I use reminders on my phone but also stick a bit of paper on my fridge door with a magnet, with a list. The latter works better.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I use reminders on my phone but also stick a bit of paper on my fridge door with a magnet, with a list. The latter works better.

These days I note everything in a diary. I refer to this first thing. In the evening I tick off what's been done and cross out what hasn't .... It's pants getting old :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here