Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey At Home

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If I were an owner who wanted to secure the use for another purpose I'd keep the rent fixed at the current rate, saying that it's fixed in the lease or something similar. All perfectly legal and above board.
If the club is liquidated, the lease would end and new negotiations would start.
Ideally you'd plant a question in the local Pompey paper, maybe six months to a year after your perfectly reasonable rent, which would obviously be comparable to the rent other football teams in a similar situation pay, forces the team out.
If the rent is similar to other conference clubs, then Pompey would be able to pay it. Also, if the land is to be used for sport, then the council should just take the highest offer from a sporting club, even if that's quite low.
the council, stating that Fratton Park has been unable to find another football team wishing to take up the tenancy, "reluctantly" are looking at lifting the restrictions
While Pompey fans are jumping up and down shouting that they'd like the tenancy, as they've had for the last x number of years, and are prepared to pay a fair rate.
Obviously time it so that it's just after the elections
And Pompey fans need to en-mass make sure it is a voting iissue prior to the elections, so the party that says the club get the ground will get in.

I appreciate you're playing devils advocate, but I don't see why they can't keep the ground.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
But I do still have sympathy for most of their fans. While a lot of Brighton fans fought to keep our club, most didn't. Most Brighton fans are just lucky that the others fought. It's just surprising that Pompey haven't had a few hundred hard core fans fighting the cause. But that doesn't mean they deserve to lose their club.

All that said, I have more sympathy with their creditors. I think Pompey should have to start again, and I think they should do so with good grace.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, some of the more well made anti pompey points on this thread have been pretty fair and I am surprising myself by now tending to agree that Pompey should indeed be wound up and perhaps Pompey fans could have done alot more - even if it was only to go down shouting.

But I also have to admit my outlook has been rather tarnished by meeting some Pompey fans in the pub last night that were still saying that they 'were too big to fail' unlike Plymouth and all the others who are only 'small time'. Pompey fans are also still 'the best fans in the country' and the biggest problem if they have to start in the 'AFC Portsmouth' mould will be finding a ground that can hold 20 000 in the Conference. (It was also interesting that they could 'guarantee' that they wouldnt drop lower than the conference Premier because they are historically one of the most important clubs in the country and the league 'wouldnt dare' make them start them where AFC Wimbledon did.

I like Pompey a little less than when I started this thread!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here