Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll - what would you like the UK to do re membership of the EU?

Poll - what would you like the UK to do re membership of the EU?

• Stay in as we are

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • Leave

Votes: 53 27.7%
  • Stay in but renegotiate our position

Votes: 73 38.2%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The UK voters were not given any choice - all three main political parties were gung-ho for Europe and damn the voters.
The politicians just liked to think that the voters weren't interested and were quite content; they were never given the voice to say otherwise.

As I've pointed out a couple of times on NSC, that's just not true. The 1983 Labour Party Manifesto had a commitment to leave the EEC (as it then was). So the voters were given a very clear opportunity to leave if they wanted

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I've pointed out a couple of times on NSC, that's just not true. The 1983 Labour Party Manifesto had a commitment to leave the EEC (as it then was). So the voters were given a very clear opportunity to leave if they wanted
That's not a clear opportunity to leave. That's like saying UKIP is our clear opportunity to leave now, but what if we want to leave but don't want our country run by racist idiots?

And look at the poll - most people don't want to just leave, they just want to renegotiate, because most of us feel we're not getting a fair deal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's not a clear opportunity to leave. That's like saying UKIP is our clear opportunity to leave now, but what if we want to leave but don't want our country run by racist idiots?

And look at the poll - most people don't want to just leave, they just want to renegotiate, because most of us feel we're not getting a fair deal.

That's completely irrelevant. What GT said was that "all three main political parties were gung-ho for Europe", I was just pointing that wasn't true

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's completely irrelevant. What GT said was that "all three main political parties were gung-ho for Europe", I was just pointing that wasn't true
It's not irrelevant because you weren't just pointing out that you disagreed with GT, you also said "So the voters were given a very clear opportunity to leave if they wanted", and I was replying to that.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Stay in as we(you) are please.

We are getting loads of roads and stuff built with EU funding :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not irrelevant because you weren't just pointing out that you disagreed with GT, you also said "So the voters were given a very clear opportunity to leave if they wanted", and I was replying to that.

Eh? I'll say it for a third time. The Labour policy was to withdraw from Europe. So, if the voters wanted to leave, they had an opportunity to vote for one of the major parties. GT said that voters hadn't had that option but they clearly had

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Eh? I'll say it for a third time. The Labour policy was to withdraw from Europe. So, if the voters wanted to leave, they had an opportunity to vote for one of the major parties.
GT wasn't only talking about an 'all in' or 'all out' choice, he was also talking about the detail. But regardless of what he was referring to, you are saying voters had the opportunity to leave, by voting Labour. But some people wouldn't want to vote Labour, because they disagree with their policies, so that was not a real choice. Just like some Labour supporters would like to leave the EU, and they don't see themselves as having a choice, as they don't want to vote Tory.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
in return for people sloping into the uk as they wish , sounds great
regards
DR

I think you need to be aware of the immigrant problem in the southern borders of the EU. Thousands have been rescued THIS WEEK! Italy bears the brunt of this but there are over 10,000 immigrants in Malta from Africa. When you consider the population is only 400,000 that is a much bigger percentage than in the UK.
My comment was meant to be flippant Yours is just ignorant.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-weekend-operations-libya-italy-mediterranean

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hardly. Yes, it may have been in the Labour party manifesto, but look at the context. Elections were very much a two horse race back then, and Maggie Thatcher was at the height of her popularity - flogging off council houses and national assets on the cheap and lots of people revelling in "Loads o' money", she just triumphed in the Falklands war, and at that stage she hadn't signed away much of our self-determination to the Single European Act, or committed us to the ERM.

Pitted against that was the Labour Party, in un-electable chaos. Michael Foot in charge, and the whole thing riddled with the Militant Tendency. Even many regular labour voters couldn't bring themselves to vote for them!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Obviously everyone who wants to leave fully understands and indeed supports the SNP position on that other union.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
What I'm interested in, is who is going to lead the stay in and stay out campaigns.

The most obvious leader of the "out" campaign is Farage, but surely he will realise that he will put off people. Someone like David Davis maybe?

On the stay in group, will Cameron seek to lead it if he gets the right deal. Or would they go for a non politician?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here