Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll - what would you like the UK to do re membership of the EU?

Poll - what would you like the UK to do re membership of the EU?

• Stay in as we are

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • Leave

Votes: 53 27.7%
  • Stay in but renegotiate our position

Votes: 73 38.2%

• Total voters

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I love the EU. Sure, it has it's problems, but I genuinely believe the EU legislative framework, upon which most UK law is based, is a cause for good.

Yoda

English & European
If we're having a referendum, I'm sure the EU would like us to stay, as we contribute money. But a lot of the British public are fed-up with the way it's currently set up, so there's a danger we'll leave. And that gives our government the ideal opportunity to renegotiate prior to the referendum. Give us these changes, or the public will vote to leave.

There is a big danger with this in terms of the United Kingdom. We know Scotland want to remain in the EU, and Wales may well want the same. Both could end up holding referendums to remain part of the Union or go alone. The Tories/UKIP (quite ironic given their name) could spell the end of the United Kingdom.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Understood. You'd like us to stay in, but completely change the way the EU is. Fair enough, but how do you suggest the UK do that?

As I said, work with other countries: there's quite a bit of disquiet about the way the EU operates across the EU and many could support some reform. Even Angela Merkel has said some reform is possible - although she rules out interfering with the principle of free movement (and I agree, it's one of the aspects of the EU that I find most appealing). But the way to do this is to work by establishing alliances and building relationships, not having hissy fits

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I love the EU. Sure, it has it's problems, but I genuinely believe the EU legislative framework, upon which most UK law is based, is a cause for good.

While I agree with you regarding the EU (perhaps I wouldn't go so far as to say 'love'), it isn't true that most UK law is based on EU law. The subject matter covered by EU law is in fact relatively limited.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is a big danger with this in terms of the United Kingdom. We know Scotland want to remain in the EU, and Wales may well want the same. Both could end up holding referendums to remain part of the Union or go alone. The Tories/UKIP (quite ironic given their name) could spell the end of the United Kingdom.

Scotland will pretty much have to be given it's own referendum on EU membership, or another independence referendum before the UK leaves the EU.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

You really think the EU is going to renegotiate on things like open borders when we have all this problem with these migrants so desperate to get to the EU, fat chance.
These people are going to have to settle somewhere. They certainly can't settle in Italy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is a big danger with this in terms of the United Kingdom. We know Scotland want to remain in the EU, and Wales may well want the same. Both could end up holding referendums to remain part of the Union or go alone.
But Scotland and Wales couldn't remain part of the EU if the UK votes to leave. And Scotland and Wales don't have the right to a referendum about remaining in the UK, just as Sussex and Cornwall don't have that right. They'd need to ask for a referendum, and if the UK agreed to a referendum (for Scotland or Wales), they'd get it long after any referendum on Europe.

If we have a referendum on Europe, that's our best opportunity to renegotiate our position within the EU. If we did happen to leave, Wales and Scotland would be very unlikely to be able to leave the UK and then join the EU. It only takes one country within the EU to say no, and countries like France and Spain would say no, as they don't want places like the Basque Country to go independent (and they'd be more likely to if they thought they'd get into the EU).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But Scotland and Wales couldn't remain part of the EU if the UK votes to leave. And Scotland and Wales don't have the right to a referendum about remaining in the UK, just as Sussex and Cornwall don't have that right. They'd need to ask for a referendum, and if the UK agreed to a referendum (for Scotland or Wales), they'd get it long after any referendum on Europe.

If we have a referendum on Europe, that's our best opportunity to renegotiate our position within the EU. If we did happen to leave, Wales and Scotland would be very unlikely to be able to leave the UK and then join the EU. It only takes one country within the EU to say no, and countries like France and Spain would say no, as they don't want places like the Basque Country to go independent (and they'd be more likely to if they thought they'd get into the EU).

It would be near impossible to impose the leaving of the EU on Scotland, if the Scottish people strongly didn't want that. Of course it could happen initially, but the calls for a break away from the UK could then become irresistible, with re-entry to the EU for Scotland an issue for further down the line.

The upheaval would be madness. Far better to sort it out with a specific referendum for Scotland once the result of any UK referendum is known.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
You really think the EU is going to renegotiate on things like open borders when we have all this problem with these migrants so desperate to get to the EU, fat chance.
These people are going to have to settle somewhere. They certainly can't settle in Italy.

It's open borders for EU member citizens, not migrants/asylum seekers. We still have control over our borders on these people, unlike what UKIP would like to make people think.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
For me parliament should always be sovereign and the highest court of the land should be the last line of appeal (excluding the European court of human rights, which needs its own reforms) For those reasons I would leave, but have formal agreements for trade and movement. They could be the eu as a whole or select countries within it

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It would be near impossible to impose the leaving of the EU on Scotland, if the Scottish people strongly didn't want that.
Don't be ridiculous. You sound like Alex Salmond. Scotland never voted to join the EU, joining the EU was nothing to do with Scotland. The UK is a member of the EU, and is quite entitled to leave if it wants to. Different sections of the UK don't have the right to stay just because they don't like the decision of their leaders.

Of course it could happen initially, but the calls for a break away from the UK could then become irresistible, with re-entry to the EU for Scotland an issue for further down the line.
As I've said, it wouldn't be easy for Scotland to join the EU. They'd have to take the Euro, which they wouldn't want to do (who would, it's a disaster) and it's unlikely countries like France and Spain would accept them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't be ridiculous. You sound like Alex Salmond. Scotland never voted to join the EU, joining the EU was nothing to do with Scotland. The UK is a member of the EU, and is quite entitled to leave if it wants to. Different sections of the UK don't have the right to stay just because they don't like the decision of their leaders.

As I've said, it wouldn't be easy for Scotland to join the EU. They'd have to take the Euro, which they wouldn't want to do (who would, it's a disaster) and it's unlikely countries like France and Spain would accept them.

It's not ridiculous.

We do not live in a dictatorship.

If you pull a Scotland that strongly wants to remain in the EU, out into a separate United Kingdom, you are only asking for massive trouble further down the line. Why shouldn't Scotland be allowed it's say, or is it a conquered and subjugated nation ? ???

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I voted "stay in but renegotiate our position", but this would be very much from the point of view of being a willing partner and being seen to want to make it work.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not ridiculous.

We do not live in a dictatorship.

If you pull a Scotland that strongly wants to remain in the EU, out into a separate United Kingdom, you are only asking for massive trouble further down the line. Why shouldn't Scotland be allowed it's say, or is it a conquered and subjugated nation ? ???
It is completely ridiculous. We live in a democracy, and each part of the UK gets to vote for MPs, and those MPs form a government, If the government that we democratically elect decide to leave the EU, then that's what we do, just as the government that we democratically elected decided to join the EU. Scotland gets its say just the same as every other part of the UK get their say. They have MPs who are allowed to vote to stay or leave, and then, as with any democracy, we go with the majority.

Looking at the UK's nations in isolation, it's got nothing to do with England, it's got nothing to do with Wales, it's got nothing to do with Northern Ireland, and it's got nothing to do with Scotland.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It is completely ridiculous. We live in a democracy, and each part of the UK gets to vote for MPs, and those MPs form a government, If the government that we democratically elect decide to leave the EU, then that's what we do, just as the government that we democratically elected decided to join the EU. Scotland gets it say just the same as every other part of the UK get their say. They have MPs who are allowed to vote to stay or leave, and then, as with any democracy, we go with the majority.

Looking at the UK's nations in isolation, it's got nothing to do with England, it's got nothing to do with Wales and it's got nothing to do with Scotland.

It'll be a dangerous route to take, for sure. My opinion is it would lead to independence within a year or 2 if a Scotland that wants to remain in the EU ( * if indeed it does it does ), is forced to withdraw as part of the UK.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It'll be a dangerous route to take, for sure. My opinion is it would lead to independence within a year or 2 if a Scotland that wants to remain in the EU ( * if indeed it does it does ), is forced to withdraw as part of the UK.
We have to accept that we are in the UK. Our government is the government of the UK. England will probably vote for a Tory government in 2 days time, but there's a good chance England won't get the government it's voted for. That's life, because England is not independent.

The same is true of each nation within the UK. We all have to go along with the majority of the UK, that's how democracy works (leaving aside the issues of first past the post for now). And if the UK, as a whole, votes to leave the EU, then that's what happens, and no individual nation, including England, gets the right to stay in.

I agree with you that Scotland will continue to want independence, and I agree that Scotland will want to rejoin the EU if we leave. There's a fair chance the EU won't accept Scotland though.

Regardless, I want to think about what's best for the country I live in (the UK), and I don't want to stay in the EU purely to please a minority of our population. If we can renegotiate our position in the EU to make it fairer, then great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here