Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

SAC

May 21, 2014
An explanation and apology for being a bit thick would have sufficed IMO.

The BBC is on a mission to thin the ranks of pale Males, so any excuse. And this one was too good for them to miss.

This is bollocks. The BBC don't have anything against "pale males" and would have been happy to continue employing him. If they wanted to get rid of him they just wouldn't have renewed his contract.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd have thought that someone who'd been "literally" thrown under a bus would be in no fit state to use Twitter. He must have had a narrow escape

The word 'literally' has changed definition and can now be used in such a context.

"in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually:
I literally died when she walked out on stage in that costume"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m still waiting to see these posts of other Royal Babies, have you got any you can share?
I'm taking people's word for it. Like HKFC says, you'd expect the retweets to be doing the rounds, to show this wasn't intended to be racist.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm taking people's word for it. Like HKFC says, you'd expect the retweets to be doing the rounds, to show this wasn't intended to be racist.

Nobody is going to wade in in "defense of a racist", well not anyone who will be listened to anyway.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
He is a football fan and a journalist/presenter who is knowledgeable about the current game. If the phrase "monkey chants" has not been a part of his regular reading/conversation then he watches his football from another planet. The connection is, arguably, not at the forefront of Joe Public's mind but anyone following football news in current times understands the connection made in racist abuse/chanting. Pleading ignorance just doesn't track if he had thought at all. This isn't like you or me tweeting... He is a public figure who has a responsibility to think before using social media. He didn't think therefore is paying the price.

I don't believe he is racist, just an idiot, but so much so he cannot stay in a role at a publicly owned corporation.
So not considering how some people might view a tweet completely differently to how it was obviously intended is now a sackable offence? Nonsense. Maybe he should have thought about it before posting - I certainly didn't think about it in any racist way until it was pointed out. When he realised, he deleted it and apologised. Are we really going to SACK people once they have apologised for something that has been misconstrued. I hate this world sometimes. Oh and this is the same BBC who have f***ing Farage on Question Time tonight for the 33rd time. Lunacy.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If the BBC didn't act, it would get it in the neck and now it HAS acted, it is STILL getting pelters from all sides. It's an issue where there will never be agreement on whether the tweet was a) funny b) offensive or c) racist, judging purely by the replies to his latest tweet saying he's been fired.

I think the lesson is #ThinkBeforeYouTweet

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Daily Mail knocking on the door of "Baker's £2 million house" then.

Naturally, as always, they MUST include the property value of whoever it is they are badgering :rolleyes:

How else will we know how OUTRAGED to be?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And it's good to know it's those defenders of racial harmony coming to his house to ensure we live in a liberal, tolerant society.

Naturally, as always, they MUST include the property value of whoever it is they are badgering :rolleyes:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He sincerely apologised for the misunderstanding and admitted it could be taken but wasn't meant in bad taste.

I fear for future generations, I abhor racism and will defend anyone BUT there comes a point when you feel it'll be easier to say nothing or create a sterile society, Danny Baker has been sacked because it looks good on the BBC without people really looking at the evidence and the remorse, **** off BBC, it was wrong but not intended in the way you see it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Ironic

34f4ed932fe20752515cb274582a968c.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
He is a football fan and a journalist/presenter who is knowledgeable about the current game. If the phrase "monkey chants" has not been a part of his regular reading/conversation then he watches his football from another planet. The connection is, arguably, not at the forefront of Joe Public's mind but anyone following football news in current times understands the connection made in racist abuse/chanting. Pleading ignorance just doesn't track if he had thought at all. This isn't like you or me tweeting... He is a public figure who has a responsibility to think before using social media. He didn't think therefore is paying the price.

I don't believe he is racist, just an idiot, but so much so he cannot stay in a role at a publicly owned corporation.

Not sure I follow your line of thinking connecting a picture of a chimp with racist chanting at football matches but totally get your point about public figures needing to remain uncontroversial, it is why we get homogenised soundbites from footballers in post match interviews. Dull.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That’s a shame. I like listening to his show when I’m driving.

Hopefully this will all blow over and he’ll be reinstated eventually.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Also property prices in London are silly. He could have bought it 25 years ago for £200k and it is now "worth" £2m. Not defending his stupid post at all, more just the ridiculousness of the media.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nobody is going to wade in in "defense of a racist", well not anyone who will be listened to anyway.
Plenty of people here saying it's ridiculous, plenty of his fans and followers who won't be happy. Not difficult for them to retweet an old tweet of the same thing, highlighting that it's just what he posts, and wasn't related to race. And he himself should be looking up the old tweets in his defence.

Some here have said he's posted the image before after royal births, so I am expecting the retweets.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Indeed.

People defending him are basing their defence of him on their past experience / opinions of the man, rather than the actual post in question.

Massively stupid - obviously offensive (INTENT doesn't define whether something IS offensive) - and clearly not acceptable from an employee of the national broadcaster :shrug:

Imagine the (understandable) reaction, if Katie Hopkins had posted a picture of a couple with a baby chimp, in this context?

Agreed. I looked at it and thought that this was not good and had racial connotations.

But then I sat back, considered its immediate withdrawal and his realisation that he made a gross error of judgement.

So instead of joining the lynch mob I thought that at that stage intent should be applied. The sensible thing to do is to put your hand up, admit the error, and then everything moves on.

But, no, many in society don't want that now. And, as I say, self righteous condemnation has become a distracting pastime.

Even those, I guess I'm one of them, who are trying to suggest a more inquisitive and less jumpy and assuming take on it are now being banded as racists.

What's sad here is that accusations of racism is now becoming a political tool in the armoury of contrary opinion. It actually dilutes it to a throw away phrase rather than a subject of primary and important concern.

None of this helps. Someone, who appears not to be racist by nature, is taken down. Whilst the condemnation may come from the very sources that promote covert racism and xenophobia.

The villain becomes the hangman.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That’s a shame. I like listening to his show when I’m driving.

Hopefully this will all blow over and he’ll be reinstated eventually.

For a 4th time ? Unlikely.

Maybe he'll end up back on TalkSPORT with his old mate Danny Kelly. Hope so, I used to like their show. I might even breach my TalkSPORT embargo if that happened (podcast version obvs, I cannot deal with the incessant ads on that station).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here