Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Political Correctness

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It would be nice to simply have manners and respect.

I don't really know what Political Correctness is because it is so many things to so many different people. It has so many meanings that it has no meaning.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not saying something that may offend somebody else, quite dull really.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great example the other day at work: this equioment should not be used by a pregnant person.

To be clear, that's not political correctness. That's health and safety. Often conflated, when they are different things.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's politically correct to clock the officials name badge above her left booby and politely asking for her name,whilst already knowing the answer.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's politically correct to clock the officials name badge above her left booby and politely asking for her name,whilst already knowing the answer.

Is it also politically correct to give said booby a loving squeeze?

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Ffs. If it's got racist, sexist or homophobic connotations i.e. f****t, p*** etc etc, you know it's going to offend someone, for very good reasons. If rabid homophobes use certain words, don't use them. If the NF used to use certain abbreviations on a nationality, don't go there. These terms imply true distain for certain members of our communities and create an atmosphere of hostility.

Connotations, connotations, connotations. If you're trying to 'win back' these terms, you're dangerously misguided.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Ffs. If it's got racist, sexist or homophobic connotations i.e. f****t, p*** etc etc, you know it's going to offend someone, for very good reasons. If rabid homophobes use certain words, don't use them. If the NF used to use certain abbreviations on a nationality, don't go there. These terms imply true distain for certain members of our communities and create an atmosphere of hostility.

Connotations, connotations, connotations. If you're trying to 'win back' these terms, you're dangerously misguided.

Do you feel the same about flags too? Is ANYTHING used by the right wing in an attempt to offend automatically theirs, and by extrapolation no longer mine?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
USE OF ENGLISH

The phrase ‘politically correct’
is not at all what you’d expect.
But how has it been hijacked so?
I’m going to tell you, ‘cos I know.

You’d think it should mean kind and smart
Radical and stout of heart
A way of living decently.
Well, so it did, till recently.

And then some cringing, nerdy divs
Sweaty, misogynistic spivs
Sad, halitosis-ridden hacks
all wearing lager-stained old macs
with spots and pustules and split ends
and absolutely zero friends
(Yes, living, breathing running sores:
The right wing press’s abject whores)
Were all told, by their corporate chiefs
To rubbish decent folks’ beliefs
To label with the phrase ‘P.C’
All that makes sense to you and me
And write off our progressive past.
Their articles came thick and fast
The editors gladly received them
and, sadly, loads of folks believed them.

You’ll find that most who use the term
Will only do so to confirm
Sad, bigoted, outdated views
They’ve swallowed via the Murdoch ‘news’.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Do you feel the same about flags too? Is ANYTHING used by the right wing in an attempt to offend automatically theirs, and by extrapolation no longer mine?

No I don't have a massive problem with the jack or the cross. Personally I think flag waving is a bit crass and patriotism null and void, but I wouldn't for a second suggest people should put them away in case they offend.

While your comment is fair, it misses the point a bit. Why anyone would want to claim racist terms that deeply offend is beyond me.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here