Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Political Correctness

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

I think a lot of what David Icke say's is nonsense (Especially the Reptile stuff) , but he raises some good points with this video and it makes sense to me.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I very rarely comment on where I live on threads like this. But as an eye opener for those who aren't of Afro-Caribbean or African ethnicity. In a strange world Afro-Caribbean people judge Africans as sub to them. As in, they are educated whereas an African is stupid and a pointless N. If you travel on buses in London, an argument between a non paying customer and bus driver may well result in the use of the N word. The majority of drivers are African so go figure who makes the comment. A word we quite correctly decided to make illegal.

Political correctness has gone mad. It only works if you take the political part out of it and have a law for all based on rational sense.
I am aware of the Afro-Caribbean attitudes towards Africans. We learnt about the gangs who kill each on the basis of their heritage. It's an interesting point, I think we have to be careful in how we speak to one another, but if a word is used. Say in a casual joking sense, is it really on the same level as using it as an ad hominem? Not really. The N word is one such that is difficult, I would hope no, non-black person uses it to insult a Black human being. But in the subculture predominantly among the youth, it's a casual word. When used it smokes the boundaries and makes it harder justifying to be as really as bad as it is from my point of view.

I wonder if any one has witnessed the current Facebook trend ATM known as 'vines'? They're a 7 second long clip, mainly used for comedy. There's a lot of, what I would say is 'reverse-racism'. Young black lads and girls post videos depicting a racial stereotype. I do think, as they may seem to be portraying themselves in that stereotype. They are indeed counteracting it through humour. Some would say it reinforces the stereotype, but my point is. They're not calling for people to stop the stereotypes, but infact it appears to be taking a completely different approach, one that actually makes laughing at it some what less guilty. But I do feel it is breaking down a social barrier, and is uniting people in one way or another. These videos are not offensive, they don't intend to be. But they are tackling a sensitive subject with out the need to ban it.

That of course, is my interpretation of the videos. I have states before this is a subjective matter.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is a nonsense term used by mongs when they are too witless to construct any other argument (usually pretty quickly in any debate) when someone suggests that we could try using language that doesn't offend people (usually minority groups that the mongs dislike and enjoy offending because they think it is funny).

Stewart lee puts it quite well.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Latest example of political correctness, literally within a few minutes.

I tweeted: "@ross_crispin: Thank god I live on the outskirts of Brighton so I can avoid gay pride, which consist of 90% straight people pretending to be bisexual."

Retweeted by @biphobia, who are apparently exposing biphobia. Which of course, completely misunderstanding what I mean.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Political correctness is the descendant of the Puritanism which affects the UK and USA from time to time. Puritans thrive on guilt, preferably other people's, because they have none of their own, being so saintly.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
the example shows how the attempts to rid prejudices, and be seen to do so, become more important than addressing the prejudices. it opens up the original objective to ridicule where there shouldnt be. it has certainly become a caricature but of its own making, not those opposed to it. pretending that its just "New Right" what ever that is, or that anyone against policital correctness is by default sexist, racist, etc is just a stick to beat people with and ironically a tad prejudice itself.

The battle over political correctness in this country began as a battle between the New Left and the New Right that came to dominate the Labour Party and the Conservative Party after 1979. It would be disingenuous to ignore the massive impact that the Thatcher-supporting tabloid press in the 1980s had, and continue to have, over the debate, the politically-driven agenda they were trying to drive through and the methods they used. If you read the work of the Media Research Group of Goldsmiths' College into the 'looney left' stories, you'll discover how much fabrication and misleading 'news' was fed to the public in a drip-drip way designed to discredit Labour councils. One of the excerpts I most remember is the evidence of how the banning of 'baa-baa black sheep' by Labour councils was created by the right-wing press as a false story to discredit the so-called 'Looney Left councils' even though no council banning took place, and nursery workers actually thinking a ban had been put in place, stopping singing 'baa baa black sheep'. In other words, through false reporting, a right-wing paper led to the removal of 'baa baa black sheep' from nurseries in Labour councils, specifically the result they say they were opposing. It's all a bit screwed up.

Last edited:

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
I am aware of the Afro-Caribbean attitudes towards Africans. We learnt about the gangs who kill each on the basis of their heritage. It's an interesting point, I think we have to be careful in how we speak to one another, but if a word is used. Say in a casual joking sense, is it really on the same level as using it as an ad hominem? Not really. The N word is one such that is difficult, I would hope no, non-black person uses it to insult a Black human being. But in the subculture predominantly among the youth, it's a casual word. When used it smokes the boundaries and makes it harder justifying to be as really as bad as it is from my point of view.

I wonder if any one has witnessed the current Facebook trend ATM known as 'vines'? They're a 7 second long clip, mainly used for comedy. There's a lot of, what I would say is 'reverse-racism'. Young black lads and girls post videos depicting a racial stereotype. I do think, as they may seem to be portraying themselves in that stereotype. They are indeed counteracting it through humour. Some would say it reinforces the stereotype, but my point is. They're not calling for people to stop the stereotypes, but infact it appears to be taking a completely different approach, one that actually makes laughing at it some what less guilty. But I do feel it is breaking down a social barrier, and is uniting people in one way or another. These videos are not offensive, they don't intend to be. But they are tackling a sensitive subject with out the need to ban it.

That of course, is my interpretation of the videos. I have states before this is a subjective matter.

Leeds minus 12 but I do feel I need to explain. The point I was making was that it is not a youth culture. As one bully starts to regret their words, another bully will move in. With our history we look at our shoes and make sure, correctly, we never do it again. But if the vacuum created is filled by a similar thought culture, maybe it's time we stopped looking down and highlighted the day to day abuse being meted out to people who we feel we have abused in time gone by. PC fails because it is an apology and we have to right our wrongs. What PC should be is something that is obvious. Multi-culturism works when we may look and think differently but we are all the same. It fails when we have to act the same to show we are the same. As an easy example, Mo Farah wins and prays to Allah for thanks. The whole of London was dancing and so proud. And he was proud to have won it so close to his home. PC is not for minorities, it's how to be an English. And more importantly, all people who want to be English.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It is a nonsense term used by mongs when they are too witless to construct any other argument (usually pretty quickly in any debate) when someone suggests that we could try using language that doesn't offend people (usually minority groups that the mongs dislike and enjoy offending because they think it is funny).

Stewart lee puts it quite well.

Mr fish you are correct but only up to a point.This whole PC thing has been hijacked over the years and confused with freedom of speech.I like you i am sure will remember many many years ago(maybe 15/20 years ago) i stand to be corrected on that, when this PC issue morphed out of the USA on issues simply of job description...bin man was now refuse collector etc etc etc etc.Then over the years it has delved into race and religion.There is no need to be deliberately rude to people but if you cant call someone for example "a catholic idiot" or "an atheist idiot" then surely free speech has been compromised.
I seem to remember 15/20 years ago the PC movement was mostly lawyer driven........i doubt that has changed much.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mr fish you are correct but only up to a point.This whole PC thing has been hijacked over the years and confused with freedom of speech.I like you i am sure will remember many many years ago(maybe 15/20 years ago) i stand to be corrected on that, when this PC issue morphed out of the USA on issues simply of job description...bin man was now refuse collector etc etc etc etc.Then over the years it has delved into race and religion.There is no need to be deliberately rude to people but if you cant call someone for example "a catholic idiot" or "an atheist idiot" then surely free speech has been compromised.
I seem to remember 15/20 years ago the PC movement was mostly lawyer driven........i doubt that has changed much.

On behalf of the fish I would rather you didn't call me Mr Fish. Is can be very offensive to clown fish who changed their sex where necessary and don't want to be labelled as a Mr when they infact may have to become Mrs Fish.

You are correct about all that nonsense about job titles and stuff, still goes on I think. Just people who have little better to do with their time than make up new job titles. I think they are either lawyers or work in local government.

The bit i don't get about the name calling is that why should anyone feel the need to qualify someone's idiocy with something else about them. Most idiots I know would not cease to be an idiot were they not Catholic, athiest or whatever so why not just call them an idiot?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
One of the excerpts I most remember is the evidence of how the banning of 'baa-baa black sheep' by Labour councils was created by the right-wing press as a false story to discredit the so-called 'Looney Left councils' even though no council banning took place, and nursery workers actually thinking a ban had been put in place, stopping singing 'baa baa black sheep'. In other words, through false reporting, a right-wing paper led to the removal of 'baa baa black sheep' from nurseries in Labour councils, specifically the result they say they were opposing. It's all a bit screwed up.
In fairness to both sides of the argument you should probably point out that the Baa Baa Black sheep incident was yes never a ban but was actually in reality an official guideline from Birmingham City Council at the time.
As for why so many institutions decided based on these guideline to ban it from their workplace God only knows.............thats a lie actually ...................... i am sure i know why,so do you,and so do many others!

the trick is to work out who was being stupid in the first place.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
On behalf of the fish I would rather you didn't call me Mr Fish. Is can be very offensive to clown fish who changed their sex where necessary and don't want to be labelled as a Mr when they infact may have to become Mrs Fish.

You are correct about all that nonsense about job titles and stuff, still goes on I think. Just people who have little better to do with their time than make up new job titles. I think they are either lawyers or work in local government.

The bit i don't get about the name calling is that why should anyone feel the need to qualify someone's idiocy with something else about them. Most idiots I know would not cease to be an idiot were they not Catholic, athiest or whatever so why not just call them an idiot?

idiot on its own really doesnt work.....try it!......it just needs that extra ooommph!

good luck with the sex change

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

You have hit on a point though,but is this not human nature to an extent.
Picture the scenario,you are in a heated argument with someone,not a run of the mill argument but something nasty,your defense mechanism kicks in.....instead of calling someone an effing idiot and hope they bugger off you resort to the worst insults you can think of......now you could be doing this to deliberately have a scrap or you could be hoping the ruder and nastier i shout hopefully this chap will back down and leave me alone.....The PC brigade will still judge you on what you said

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
On behalf of the fish I would rather you didn't call me Mr Fish

obviously i declined in this debate to use the prefix BAD for PC reasons,your ongoing fixation with sex with salmon is none of business....and harms no one

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You have hit on a point though,but is this not human nature to an extent.
Picture the scenario,you are in a heated argument with someone,not a run of the mill argument but something nasty,your defense mechanism kicks in.....instead of calling someone an effing idiot and hope they bugger off you resort to the worst insults you can think of......now you could be doing this to deliberately have a scrap or you could be hoping the ruder and nastier i shout hopefully this chap will back down and leave me alone.....The PC brigade will still judge you on what you said

This may be the crux of the matter. If you are calling someone a catholic idiot in anger and as an insult then surely you see being catholic as some kind of negative and an insult. So the PC Brigade (whoever they may be) are right to judge you on what you said. If this is not the case they you are merely stating a fact which that person presumably already knows given that they attend church each Sunday and were buggered as a child.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
This may be the crux of the matter. If you are calling someone a catholic idiot in anger and as an insult then surely you see being catholic as some kind of negative and an insult. So the PC Brigade (whoever they may be) are right to judge you on what you said. If this is not the case they you are merely stating a fact which that person presumably already knows given that they attend church each Sunday and were buggered as a child.

yes yes yes.. The PC brigade without thought or direction are a problem. You should say to anybody who went to a Catholic school, so surprised you can walk, did you sin more than three times a week etc Only to expose on a theme will make it stop, bananas to Serbia for example. Keep talking about it joke about it but not to a person and suddenly the ginger people will leave the cellars. Damn damn damn I was doing so well. But highlight a problem and it will over time stop. Hide it and the people affected, will be affected for life.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
yes yes yes.. The PC brigade without thought or direction are a problem. You should say to anybody who went to a Catholic school, so surprised you can walk, did you sin more than three times a week etc Only to expose on a theme will make it stop, bananas to Serbia for example. Keep talking about it joke about it but not to a person and suddenly the ginger people will leave the cellars. Damn damn damn I was doing so well. But highlight a problem and it will over time stop. Hide it and the people affected, will be affected for life.

Nope, Read it twice and have no idea what you are talking about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here