Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Police to 'visit 1,000 homes' in MASSIVE crackdown on illegal Premier League streaming

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Your looking at this from a simplistic Sky view… do you work for them??

Sky can keep all their monthly subscription for people who want to watch Bournemouth v Brentford…

I’m suggesting an add on or different payment for a specific team..

As I said EFL have ifollow why can’t EPL have the same ?
Eh? I'm looking at it from a fan's view. And no I don't work for them (seeing as I'm in favour of supposedly illegal streaming I'd have thought it was pretty obvious that I don't work for any sports broadcaster).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No.

One of the chaps was jailed for hosting an online streaming website called IPTV, and the other was jailed for sharing his Netflix password with over a thousand people....

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing in UK law that makes receiving a football stream illegal.
It is a breach of copyright. The premier league logo is copyrighted (not the game itself I think) and viewing that without a licence, outside of the jurisdiction where the broadcast is authorised, is a offence.

My issue is what the police are doing getting involved as I think (stand to be corrected) is that copyright infringement is a civil matter.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would suggest that the only ones having a knock on the door are those hosting stuff or those showing footie on screens dotted around their pub.

They are not going after the normal man on the street. I would add those of us that already subscribe to Sky, BT and Amazon are very unlikely to be contacted.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If they knock on the door and you have been watching a game, what is the maximum fine/imprisonment?
The most serious offenders will be forced to attend Chelsea games in person.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Your looking at this from a simplistic Sky view… do you work for them??

Sky can keep all their monthly subscription for people who want to watch Bournemouth v Brentford…

I’m suggesting an add on or different payment for a specific team..

As I said EFL have ifollow why can’t EPL have the same ?
That would change the money available to Sky though and probably reduce the money clubs receive from TV rights. I probably wouldn't pay for Sky if I could pay the club directly for access to matches.

The only way the two could work in tandem would be for Sky and other broadcasters to continue to cherry pick matches for their packages and then clubs can stream the matches that aren't on TV domestically via their own service. Although clubs may be reluctant to go down that road if they fear it could have an effect on live attendances.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I'm convinced this story is complete rubbish and probably paid for by Sky/BT etc. Their talk of 'cutting edge digital tactics' stinks of modern day 'detector van' propaganda that was well establish lies.

Id wager they have very limited (if at all) ability to know who's streaming and who isn't, especially to any sort of evidential value, there's very little chance they could secure a prosecution for an individual doing so, they'd need a warrant to actually come without your permission (which they wont have the evidence to get), and they do not have the resource to doing this kind of policing.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It is a breach of copyright. The premier league logo is copyrighted (not the game itself I think) and viewing that without a licence, outside of the jurisdiction where the broadcast is authorised, is a offence.

My issue is what the police are doing getting involved as I think (stand to be corrected) is that copyright infringement is a civil matter.

Is infringement of copyright a criminal offence?​

Deliberate infringement of copyright may be a criminal offence. Pursuing the criminals (e.g. when pirate or counterfeit copies of CDs/DVDs etc are being made, distributed or sold) can involve the police or trading standards departments.

They are much more likely to go after those selling the fire-sticks or hosting and providing access to the streams than those sat at home watching Wolves vs Fulham on a Saturday afternoon.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Deliberate infringement of copyright may be a criminal offence. Pursuing the criminals (e.g. when pirate or counterfeit copies of CDs/DVDs etc are being made, distributed or sold) can involve the police or trading standards departments.

They are much more likely to go after those selling the fire-sticks or hosting and providing access to the streams than those sat at home watching Wolves vs Fulham on a Saturday afternoon.
Well there we go. So civil and criminal offence

well there we go, civil and criminal offence.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I used to sign entry warrants. I've signed them for drugs, firearms, utilities, mental health and sundry other things. During training it's made clear that it's hugely invasive and not something to be taken lightly. "Fishing trips" aren't allowed, there has to be reliable intelligence; I have refused to sign them when I didn't feel the reasons were good enough.
A police officer turning up at court asking for an entry warrant because "someone there is watching an unlicensed broadcast" would get short shrift from most magistrates.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
TBB-Alive.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'll ask the question once more as I was scoffed at by the biggest advocate and yet, here it is again in the Mirror article. IPTV services are widely linked to fraud, money laundering and organised crime. If you don't believe that then who do you all think you are giving your money to? Some bloke in his bedroom who has the ability to stream thousands of channels? I doubt the people doing the ordinary streams are raising money for the RSPCA but if you avoid the malware, they gets fractions of a penny of ad revenue.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
All very strange given that with just a few clicks you can find any match online whenever you want. Even the Middlesbrough game was accessible with just 3 clicks of my mouse. It's so simple to access on line that the authorities potentially trying to visit 1000 homes is like putting your finger in the Hoover Dam to plug a leak.

What is the point?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
All very strange given that with just a few clicks you can find any match online whenever you want. Even the Middlesbrough game was accessible with just 3 clicks of my mouse. It's so simple to access on line that the authorities potentially trying to visit 1000 homes is like putting your finger in the Hoover Dam to plug a leak.

What is the point?

It seems to be easier than ever.

There was a spell a few years ago where they started taking down all the streaming sites... the next day Reddit Soccer Streams popped up, which lasted a year or two... then that got taken down.

Now there are hundreds more Reddit Soccer Streams lookalikes, all easily findable through Google. On every clubs forums people are openly sharing links to streams now.

The Premier League / Sky have to surely admit that they have lost this battle? Like others have mentioned on this thread, surely it would be a win for all if they introduced a paid service to allow football fans to watch the games that are not televised here, but are in other parts of the world?

It's actually quite bonkers, because it is continues like this, people will end up scrapping their Sky subscriptions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here