Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Police to 'visit 1,000 homes' in MASSIVE crackdown on illegal Premier League streaming

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Let the clubs stream all their games for a monthly subscription
Problem solved.
Not as simple as that though is it? If this were the case, we'd be considerably poorer as a club and Manchester United would be considerably richer - I can't see United willing to share the receipts from the Manchester derby with us. There would be no guaranteed £120m each season for every PL club. So, problem not solved.

Have all Premier League games broadcast via the current subscriptions (preferably lowered to one provider that isn't Sky - too expensive and too low quality streaming). Lift the 3pm blackout and that's your best bet to tackling this properly.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not as simple as that though is it? If this were the case, we'd be considerably poorer as a club and Manchester United would be considerably richer - I can't see United willing to share the receipts from the Manchester derby with us. There would be no guaranteed £120m each season for every PL club. So, problem not solved.

Have all Premier League games broadcast via the current subscriptions (preferably lowered to one provider that isn't Sky - too expensive and too low quality streaming). Lift the 3pm blackout and that's your best bet to tackling this properly.
That’s always going to be the case
Some clubs have a bigger fan base than others.
Sky can show what they want but if EFL clubs have ifollow why can’t EPL clubs have a similar format?

I don’t understand why a Manchester derby would be sharing monies with others ??

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No.

One of the chaps was jailed for hosting an online streaming website called IPTV, and the other was jailed for sharing his Netflix password with over a thousand people....

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing in UK law that makes receiving a football stream illegal.
1000 people on one Netflix account you would never be able to watch anything, we have problems with a family of five.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see from Google the hesgoal.com domain name has been seized by US Homeland Security Investigations.

I agree that going after individuals is a poor use of police time and resources. I think a lot of people feel that they pay enough for TV content as it is and so will feel morally entitled to watch illegal, free streams.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Let the clubs stream all their games for a monthly subscription
Problem solved.
I would happily buy this. I only want to watch Brighton matches anyway. I either listen on radio, go to a pub or watch at a friend’s house with Sky / BT when our games our on. I think it is ridiculous that someone in Australia can pay $6 / month or whatever and get ever game live.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That’s always going to be the case
Some clubs have a bigger fan base than others.
Sky can show what they want but if EFL clubs have ifollow why can’t EPL clubs have a similar format?

I don’t understand why a Manchester derby would be sharing monies with others ??
Currently, clubs receive a guaranteed share of all the TV money from the Premier League. Domestic money (£1.7bn per season) is shared in 3 ways: The equal share (50% guaranteed, shared across 20 clubs), facility fees (£10m guaranteed minimum, given approx £1m per appearance.) and merit payments (starting from £1.9m and going up incrementally per position). Overseas rights are dished out equally to clubs regardless of appearances or position. So currently, the Premier League TV rights are sold as a complete package. Sky for example pay for Brighton v Forest in the same package for City v United and that means all four clubs benefit financially.

If we gave clubs control of their TV rights, the big boys would individually pocket the money that makes the Premier League so lucrative for all and therefore so competitive across the board. United would be able to sell subscriptions for their games for more, and to more, therefore making more money than anyone in the league could. I don't think United would be particularly happy that they could sell the rights to their subscribers for more money and are being stopped from doing so for the big games because of a pre-existing agreement with Sky.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If the game isn't being shown live by BT or Sky how can they argue they are losing revenue, particularly as most of us subscribe anyway.
Exactly. I am a legitimate and long-standing Sky Sports and Amazon Prime subscriber. If I watch a Premier League football match on another platform I am not depriving those two organisations of any income. (Although I suppose BT can sue me). Certainly I don't feel I'm morally in the wrong.

And if the football authorities don't like it, well it's their own fault. There should only be one football broadcaster, instead they want to make us pay again and again and again so they divi up the matches so that they can all get a piece of us. 'Illegal' streaming is just us getting a bit back.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Currently, clubs receive a guaranteed share of all the TV money from the Premier League. Domestic money (£1.7bn per season) is shared in 3 ways: The equal share (50% guaranteed, shared across 20 clubs), facility fees (£10m guaranteed minimum, given approx £1m per appearance.) and merit payments (starting from £1.9m and going up incrementally per position). Overseas rights are dished out equally to clubs regardless of appearances or position. So currently, the Premier League TV rights are sold as a complete package. Sky for example pay for Brighton v Forest in the same package for City v United and that means all four clubs benefit financially.

If we gave clubs control of their TV rights, the big boys would individually pocket the money that makes the Premier League so lucrative for all and therefore so competitive across the board. United would be able to sell subscriptions for their games for more, and to more, therefore making more money than anyone in the league could. I don't think United would be particularly happy that they could sell the rights to their subscribers for more money and are being stopped from doing so for the big games because of a pre-existing agreement with Sky.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Exactly. I am a legitimate and long-standing Sky Sports and Amazon Prime subscriber. If I watch a Premier League football match on another platform I am not depriving those two organisations of any income. (Although I suppose BT can sue me). Certainly I don't feel I'm morally in the wrong.

And if the football authorities don't like it, well it's their own fault. There should only be one football broadcaster, instead they want to make us pay again and again and again so they divi up the matches so that they can all get a piece of us. 'Illegal' streaming is just us getting a bit back.
Your looking at this from a simplistic Sky view… do you work for them??

Sky can keep all their monthly subscription for people who want to watch Bournemouth v Brentford…

I’m suggesting an add on or different payment for a specific team..

As I said EFL have ifollow why can’t EPL have the same ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As I said EFL have ifollow why can’t EPL have the same ?
they can. They’d just need to say goodbye to the TV deal in place.

But your suggestion will only widen the gap between the top 6 and everyone else. We saw this with the PPVs during COVID

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Wish they would go and knock on the door of those who own Amazon and suggest they pay a bit more uk tax ..or should that read tax 😏
Amazon pay the exact amount of tax they are asked to by HMRC, why do people expect anyone (person or company) to pay more Tax than they are asked to. The solution isnt to expect voluntary contributions from companies, it is to simply change the Tax Status of those companies . I agree Amazon (and others) doesnt pay enough Tax, but thats the governments fault by not changing tax legislation to account for Amazons business model, not Amazons fault for not simply giving the government money it hasnt asked for

Im sure very few business owners on here-or anywhere- say -oh look I have made some money and I think i will give more than required to the Government this week/month/year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here