Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Police to 'visit 1,000 homes' in MASSIVE crackdown on illegal Premier League streaming

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

And I don't think they are right about the US either. Peacock is $5/month or $50/year. They have, I think, all the games. Maybe there are a couple that only are shown on broadcast NBC?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not condoning an illegal activity, but when it's impossible to get the police to respond to a "proper" crime how come they have the resources for this?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not condoning an illegal activity, but when it's impossible to get the police to respond to a "proper" crime how come they have the resources for this?
Depends if it is really happening, or even if perhaps they’re sending out community support officers or similar

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The part that people are dancing around or avoiding is the clue.

“Often, illegal streaming is used to fund Serious Organised Crime and West Mercia Cybercrime Unit is committed to interdicting this source of criminal revenue and reducing the harm organised crime groups can do to our communities.”

This story has made the papers so will alert some people to where there money is going but is ultimately part of a major cybercrime initiative. This isn't about people sneaking a Reddit style stream - it is about identifying characters of interest to them behind it and this story is a bit of sabre rattling to raise awareness.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe they’ve run out of black people to stop and search? :shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

If Brighton & Hove Albion and the other 19 Prem clubs are happy to pocket more than a BILLION F**KING POUNDS from broadcasters each year, it's not really a surprise that the high cost is passed on to UK viewers, is it?!

Revenue from India FELL by 25% last year, btw. Of course it's cheap there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

“Often, illegal streaming is used to fund Serious Organised Crime and West Mercia Cybercrime Unit is committed to interdicting this source of criminal revenue and reducing the harm organised crime groups can do to our communities.”

This story has made the papers so will alert some people to where their money is going but is ultimately part of a major cybercrime initiative. This isn't about people sneaking a Reddit style stream - it is about identifying characters of interest to them behind it and this story is a bit of sabre rattling to raise awareness.
Is this what the police are now saying to justify their wonky priorities?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Is this what the police are now saying to justify their wonky crime priorities?
Well if you doubt it, maybe you will answer the question I asked yesterday that no-one has answered. If not organised crime, who do you think is behind these IPTV services capable of streaming 1000s of channels?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This story has made the papers so will alert some people to where their money is going but is ultimately part of a major cybercrime initiative. This isn't about people sneaking a Reddit style stream - it is about identifying characters of interest to them behind it and this story is a bit of sabre rattling to raise awareness.
Is this what the police are now saying to justify their wonky priorities?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well if you doubt it, maybe you will answer the question I asked yesterday that no-one has answered. If not organised crime, who do you think is behind these IPTV services capable of streaming 1000s of channels?
I have no idea. I wouldn’t necessarily assume it’s some huge crime organization using it for funding more serious crime though.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I have no idea. I wouldn’t necessarily assume it’s some huge crime organization using it for funding more serious crime though.
But the Police have said it is and previous people have been convicted of money laundering. So I ask again - why do you disbelieve them?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

This story has made the papers so will alert some people to where there money is going but is ultimately part of a major cybercrime initiative. This isn't about people sneaking a Reddit style stream - it is about identifying characters of interest to them behind it and this story is a bit of sabre rattling to raise awareness.

Organised crime = “a group of three or more persons existing over a period of time acting in concert with the aim of committing crimes for financial or material benefit.”

So yes of course it is organised crime. Many of these sites have three or more people putting together these illegal sites and they make a lot of money from ads etc.

Whether or not that makes it worth raiding 1000s of people.. dunno.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That's why.....
That is what I thought. So your theory is that the cyber crime unit and CPS are in the pay of Sky and BT? These mental gymnastics are amusing me greatly. If this was a bloke at the market only job, I would probably be in. But given the dodgy mp3 craze selling years ago was mostly Russian criminals and the infrastructure for IPTV must be huge, I can't imagine the money is going anywhere good. If you can swallow that then good luck to you but excuses up to and including laws are there to be broken are laughable and depressing in equal measure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But the Police have said it is and previous people have been convicted of money laundering. So I ask again - why do you disbelieve them?
You have answered your own question.

This whole 1000 houses thing just strikes me as a bit odd, for many reasons. And now we have a serious organised crime back-story. I need a bit more convincing that what has been presented so far.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Organised crime = “a group of three or more persons existing over a period of time acting in concert with the aim of committing crimes for financial or material benefit.”

So yes of course it is organised crime. Many of these sites have three or more people putting together these illegal sites and they make a lot of money from ads etc.

Whether or not that makes it worth raiding 1000s of people.. dunno.
The police said serious organised crime.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A quick Google shows a number of streamers who have been convicted and whilst they also have been charged with crimes associated with the revenue, i.e. laundering or fraudulant accounts which one would expect......none have been shown to have been funding other serious crimes. Maybe some do have links, maybe some dont.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You have answered your own question.

This whole 1000 houses thing just strikes me as a bit odd, for many reasons. And now we have a serious organised crime back-story. I need a bit more convincing that what has been presented so far.
I'm guessing this is the good mind of money laundering?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here