Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Police to 'visit 1,000 homes' in MASSIVE crackdown on illegal Premier League streaming

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I feel very strongly about this, to me it’s absolutely clear that the fundamental issue is that, hold on hold that thought someone is at the door, back in a moment…

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think Prince Harry & Meghan should pay for all the US PL watchers and the royal family can pay for the commonwealth countries PL watchers while the other countries that watch PL will have to figure out how to tax their citizens for the right to watch PL.

Or they could just make it affordable for everyone and pay the team owners a bit less money that they couldn't pass on to their children & grandchildren.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You're probably aware that Netflix know exactly what their subscribers have streamed and when (VPN or not).
Not quite correct but carry on............

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
There must be millions who use a streaming service you would be incredibly unlikely to be receiving a knock on your door but the real problem is illegal streaming like the illegal drugs trade are not being controlled instead they fund crime and until that is resolved in a financially realistic way it will continue

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There must be millions who use a streaming service you would be incredibly unlikely to be receiving a knock on your door but the real problem is illegal streaming like the illegal drugs trade are not being controlled instead they fund crime and until that is resolved in a financially realistic way it will continue
If you use a legitimate stream (Peacock) who you pay the subscription for, and you watch via a fully legal VPN. The only crime is you are happily watching from your front room in the UK yet your TV has hotfooted it to the USA.

I doubt Peacock would really want a clamp down on these subscriptions as I expect they run into thousands of accounts.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If you use a legitimate stream (Peacock) who you pay the subscription for, and you watch via a fully legal VPN. The only crime is you are happily watching from your front room in the UK yet your TV has hotfooted it to the USA.

I doubt Peacock would really want a clamp down on these subscriptions as I expect they run into thousands of accounts.
Yeah that’s not right.
Peacock have a licence to show games in the US and that’s it. Anyone in the UK using the Peacock stream (or any other stream) is doing so illegally.
Not saying that is correct or that anyone will do anything about it though.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008

If you think football streaming is a victimless crime - you're wrong. It could be costing organisations such as Sky and Amazon lots of money, which they would otherwise be earning through subscriptions. Hold that thought next time you ILLEGALLY look for some dodgy stream which wouldn't otherwise be watchable in the UK, and people from other countries get to watch for pennies, or for free, and legally.
I 'd much rather they take an interest in Amazon and Sky for tax avoidance , Amazon for offering zero hour contracts etc . Streaming is effectively free marketing for the Premier League . Most people watching will be going to games or have subscriptions . However if your teams not on what do you do ? Anyway the 3pm watershed finishes this season so that will make a difference . I love the South African adverts when I stream the Albion !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah that’s not right.
Peacock have a licence to show games in the US and that’s it. Anyone in the UK using the Peacock stream (or any other stream) is doing so illegally.
Not saying that is correct or that anyone will do anything about it though.
Agreed, but Peacocks problem to solve rather than end user doing anything

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not quite correct but carry on............
You log into your Netflix account and request a stream. How do you think a VPN changes that? Just because your IP address might be untraceable doesn't mean you are if you authenticate to the streaming service.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You log into your Netflix account and request a stream. How do you think a VPN changes that? Just because your IP address might be untraceable doesn't mean you are if you authenticate to the streaming service.
Your IP is still traceable , but location might be elsewhere.

If I tried to login to my work accounts while on holiday in Dubai, I’d be denied access as that’d be unusual

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
don't know why anyone thinks they have a right to view a game on their terms. would you say you should have a live stream to a band concert? the clubs, through the league, want to restrict viewing and dont want live viewing in the domestic market. if the clubs change their mind the providers would jump on club based season ticket model.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agreed, but Peacocks problem to solve rather than end user doing anything
And that was the point I was making. In this case the only person breaking the law is the end user but the article is more about funds gained by illegal means IE IPTV servers funding serious crime.

Anyway laws are there to be broken, if no one ever did there wouldn't be a need for the law.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
don't know why anyone thinks they have a right to view a game on their terms. would you say you should have a live stream to a band concert? the clubs, through the league, want to restrict viewing and dont want live viewing in the domestic market. if the clubs change their mind the providers would jump on club based season ticket model.
Unless you have paid for the product, regardless of where you are based.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Your IP is still traceable , but location might be elsewhere.

If I tried to login to my work accounts while on holiday in Dubai, I’d be denied access as that’d be unusual
I know how IP addresses work but don't understand how the person I replied to thinks that Netflix don't know what you are streaming if you use a VPN. Just because a VPN might (and I stress might) shield your physical location, it doesn't magically hide your authentication credentials to the streaming provider.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The dodgy IPTV companies employ the same technology as Netflix etc... You're probably aware that Netflix know exactly what their subscribers have streamed and when (VPN or not). So the only question is have the police managed to access the relevant records of the illegal IPTV operation, I think in this case they may have been successful.
I'm not convinced that this is going to be the case - Netflix tracking what you're watching has a purpose to recommend you to watch XYZ, what would be the point of an IPTV provider doing this? These are streams rather than video on demand and once you're in the IPTV ecosystem your ID is irrelevant, you can access everything globally so. So I'm told.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm not convinced that this is going to be the case - Netflix tracking what you're watching has a purpose to recommend you to watch XYZ, what would be the point of an IPTV provider doing this? These are streams rather than video on demand and once you're in the IPTV ecosystem your ID is irrelevant, you can access everything globally so. So I'm told.
Your faith in people described as organised criminals is touching

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Your faith in people described as organised criminals is touching
Haha, it's no so much 'faith' as thinking about why they would want to spend a lot of money on doing it. Heyho, 'IF' I had paid for an IPTV provider, then I would make sure there was nothing that the provider had that could identify me, ehem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here