Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police 'paid' to seek FBO's

Do you mind being filmed by the police at football matches?

• Total voters

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No it doesn't bother me at all. We're being filmed constantly anyway (CCTV).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
exactly, watching a police program on BBC1 last night filmed in Luton ,BLOKE GOT PULLED UP ON HIS MOTORBIKE and put in the back of the police car, resisted arrest and stabbed one of the OB IN THE FACE TWO TIMES WITH THE MOTORBIKE KEY in the struggle AND ENDED UP DOING 9 MONTHS , heard that one of the chaps that got done for spurs had no previous but got a year and never threw a punch, work that one out :shrug:
regards
DR

Drink driver gets a ban, even if he has not been in an accident or incident, he gets a one year ban minimum, regardless. Driver causes accident, crashes own car, drives without insurance/tax/license, or speeds through 20/30mph zone, gets a few points and a tiny fine.

Drink driving is socially, and 100% legally unacceptable, no lenience. Likewise football related violence, it is regarded by the law, and many people with such revulsion, that's how THEY work it out. :shrug:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
exactly, watching a police program on BBC1 last night filmed in Luton ,BLOKE GOT PULLED UP ON HIS MOTORBIKE and put in the back of the police car, resisted arrest and stabbed one of the OB IN THE FACE TWO TIMES WITH THE MOTORBIKE KEY in the struggle AND ENDED UP DOING 9 MONTHS , heard that one of the chaps that got done for spurs had no previous but got a year and never threw a punch, work that one out :shrug:
regards
DR

He was wearing Stone Island must be guilty!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's probably a cost thing. Pretty sure it is in Sussex anyway, as their budget is less than many forces.

Each officer has at the very minimum a stab vest, lightweight & heavyweight jackets, and fleeces that would require identifying marks.

To issue kit with names/numbers sewn on would be pretty expensive as an initial outlay. Then take into account officers who leave (and whose kit thus can't be recycled/ passed on), ones who get promoted (and thus require new insignia), and ones who change names through marriage (which in our case would usually mean a new warrant number)- they'd all have to be issued with new sets of kit every time.

And that's before you start renewing kit that gets torn, contaminated, worn out. It would lead to huge wastage.

Hence everyone (where I work) gets issued with sets of epaulettes to fit the different bits of kit & button them on accordingly. Not ideal but I don't know what the answer is without a large cost implication.

With regard to the bag thing, I only meant that if I'm carrying something really heavy over my shoulder & it slides off, occasionally it will pull my jacket downwards & the number off. But frankly it's far more likely to be yanked off by someone who wants a trophy in a confrontational situation. The removeability guidance isn't given to us: we don't make the kit. The only guidance we get is to wear the things, which I can safely say happens 99.999999% of the time.

I have nothing to hide. I don't care if someone identifies my number.

I'm not suggesting for a moment YOU have anything to hide or have indeed done so. The reasons around cost you given seem slightly bizarre - give an officer a unique identifier when they join and away you go - my NI number doesn't change if I get a new job, get promoted to change my name.

You've picked on a single one of my points - the other still remain valid. I'll also add in Hillsborough as a good example of police corruption. I'm not for one minute suggesting every police officer is corrupt BUT Dandyman's video is somewhat damning and I find is bizarre the difference in attitude between if you speak to an officer in normal circumstances ( when they are polite and helpful ) and when you speak to them once you have football colours on. I find it hard to believe that only the ****s police footbal matches !

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
regards
DR
sorry, but if plebs like yourself didn't watch such programmes, they wouldn't be on.....simple as.....

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Do most of you realise that the police have nothing to do with the judges decision on jail term etc.
therefore your comparisons on football sentencing and west street are completely invalid.
Police arrest, CPS decide whether the suspect will be charged, judge passes sentence. 3 entirely different and separate parts of the justice system.
Shows how little people know and that mostly it's just a chance to slag off the police. Then when you need them .......... Oh they may be useless, corrupt, shit etc but I will call them anyway

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Edna dont officers go on a training course surely our police force could do a stitch and bitch session ...maybe half times would be good(potentially loads at the game against Millwall) or when your up at Balcombe, make do and mend Edna !!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Do most of you realise that the police have nothing to do with the judges decision on jail term etc.
therefore your comparisons on football sentencing and west street are completely invalid.
Police arrest, CPS decide whether the suspect will be charged, judge passes sentence. 3 entirely different and separate parts of the justice system.
Shows how little people know and that mostly it's just a chance to slag off the police. Then when you need them .......... Oh they may be useless, corrupt, shit etc but I will call them anyway

And you don't think that the police have influence in sentencing? I acknowledge that I was a bit lazy in saying it was the police when it's the whole legal system that treats all football fans as potential thugs and all convicted fans as scum of the earth. It's completely endemic.

Dandyman

In London village.
Question for those who don't object to being filmed, do you think that if the Police are filming you then you should have the right to film them ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Question for those who don't object to being filmed, do you think that if the Police are filming you then you should have the right to film them ?

I voted 'no' as it doesn't bother me. However, I don't believe that anyone should be stopped from filming in the public area. Whether it be children in a sandpit or police carrying out their business.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
What is stopping you from filming them? Nothing. Protesters counter film police all the time. Police would only ever consider stopping or confiscating the film if is was evidence of offences.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I do't buy this argument about cost being a factor in police officers not showing their ID. Surely something with velcro is all that is required. And it should be a disciplinary offence not to wear it visibly. No excuses - if you've been given powers by the state over and above the ordinary citizen then there's a responsibility that goes with that. Fine the officer and the commanding officer at these demos. In fact, why is it not a basic check?

I'm genuinely puzzled and worried when police still turn up dressed like Judge Dredd but choose not to wear ID. It makes me wonder what their true intention is.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I think Millwall fans once had a load of 'fans police watch' t shirts made up with a cctv camera on them . Needlesly to say the ob got the righjt hump and carted a few of them away for wearing them.

Dandyman

In London village.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Is this the right thread to ask about asking a copper what it takes to get them to take their kit off?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here